Windows 11 Better Than Linux Right Now For Intel Alder Lake Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    ...And yes, if you have to buy right now, AMD wins on the motherboard front.
    USB is still a train-wreck on 500 series boards as I hear (notably with VR), and I have odd issues even on X470 still. The Intel motherboards I've had (Skylake, Kaby, Coffee) all handled whatever USB devices and config no problem; the oddest set-up was 3 Oculus Rift sensors and USB audio card on a USB hub.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
      I don't disagree that Zen had its own growing pains, but I'm talking about where everything stands in Q4 2021. I didn't *have* to buy the 5800X, but I know for $299, that's a buy that's going to last me many years. And on top of that, I have an upgrade path with the new Zen4 that comes out.
      Zen 4 will be AM5, not AM4, unless you're seeing different leaks to me and they turn out to be correct and mine incorrect.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        I'm still looking for the right board (I need debug LEDs, QFlash and whatnot). If I can't find a decent deal, I am willing to wait for H670.
        So, this one (Aorus Pro)? https://youtu.be/C0pluVy5EFg (though (un)fortunately, it's DDR5)

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post

Aside from the "muuhh spy" issue, it's the same thing or WORSE for the Linux side.

The only desktop system that is managing to save itself yet (I don't know how long) is MacOS.
          Save from what? It's nearly as much insecure as Windows and even slower. The only thing that 'saves' it is hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

Honestly, comments like this make me wonder why there apparently isn't a proper communication channel inside AMD between different divisions?

I mean, why then will the Steam Deck ship with the AMD p-state CPU driver + schedutil?
            You say that the decision-making logic should be left up to the hardware to decide, while schedutil proponents argue that the hardware can't possibly have a clue about OS run-time queues of all the different threads interacting with each other.

So, which one is it?
            And who has the final say on what is best for the upcoming Steam Deck?
            What does this comment mean?
            It's an opinion, an a pretty valid too.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrispynut View Post

Zen 4 will be AM5, not AM4, unless you're seeing different leaks to me and they turn out to be correct and mine incorrect.
              My bad, I meant the last one released for the AM4 socket. Misspoke and said Zen4. Thanks for the correction.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

Save from what? It's nearly as much insecure as Windows and even slower. The only thing that 'saves' it is hardware.
                Insecure? Cant remember the last time i had a virus on my pc since 28 years. No one knows more about security than Microsoft, given their history and constant threat to Windows. Windows is built like an armored tank.

Comment

Funny how Microsoft manages to cope well with something so fundamentally different in scheduling like AL right from the start, but completely messed up more or less small changes with the different ryzen-generations over and over again and took ages to fix the issues...

Comment

Originally posted by Termy View Post
                    Funny how Microsoft manages to cope well with something so fundamentally different in scheduling like AL right from the start, but completely messed up more or less small changes with the different ryzen-generations over and over again and took ages to fix the issues...
                    I think it was Intel that did the work .

Comment

Originally posted by Chrispynut View Post
                      So, this one (Aorus Pro)? https://youtu.be/C0pluVy5EFg (though (un)fortunately, it's DDR5)
                      That's the one I have bookmarked (there's a DDR4 version, too). It's not available over here yet, I'll have to check the markup once it's listed.

Comment

Working...
                      X