Windows 11 Better Than Linux Right Now For Intel Alder Lake Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 11 Better Than Linux Right Now For Intel Alder Lake Performance

Phoronix: Windows 11 Better Than Linux Right Now For Intel Alder Lake Performance

While we are used to running AMD and Intel benchmarks between Microsoft Windows and Linux while most often finding that our favorite open-source operating systems normally lead the race from desktops through HEDT and server platforms, when it comes to the Core i9 12900K "Alder Lake" that is currently not the case. Going into this round of Windows vs. Linux testing quite curious given some Intel hybrid architecture oddities we have been seeing under Linux, indeed when hitting Windows 11 and an assortment of Linux distributions with benchmarks we were left disappointed. Not only did Windows 11 come out faster overall, but related is now Linux also had much higher run-to-run variance due to the mix of P and E cores with Thread Director not making the wisest choices under Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

micheal have you tried using uclampset to set the minimum performance hint for the benchmarks when using "schedutil"?

Comment

Intel has shown that the linux desktop is completely irrelevant.

And maybe they're right. Only some IT stuff use it.

Comment

a lot of regressions with 5.16

Comment

That is because the Microsoft Development Center gets early dies of new CPU's from Intel on a regular basis. And why would Red Hat care about a desktop CPU since that is not the core market for RHEL?

Unless an OEM (ie: Lenovo) did it themselves and submitted the patches or requested it from the OS vendor like Canonical, no one would do much until Michael shows it to everyone.
          Last edited by edwaleni; 12 November 2021, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Is there a point in firing up Alder Lake without disabling the low-power cores, as long as the proper scheduler is not in place?
            Of course a lot of stuff will wrongly end up on those cores and take more time to complete.
            Last edited by bug77; 12 November 2021, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              Is there a point is firing up Alder Lake without disabling the low-power cores, as long as the proper scheduler is not in place?
              Of course a lot of stuff will wrongly end up on those cores and take more time to complete.
              Stay tuned for such article next week, already found some interesting discoveries on that front
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Stay tuned for such article next week, already found some interesting discoveries on that front
                Looking forward to that, since I already ordered my 12600k.I hope I can find a decent motherboard in stock before Valentine's day.

Comment

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post
                  Intel has shown that the linux desktop is completely irrelevant.

And maybe they're right. Only some IT stuff use it.
                  Irrelevant? Maybe. But definitely important in today's world.

Comment

One more reason to not choose Intel!

Comment

Working...
                    X