• RedEyed
    replied
    Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
    One more reason to not choose Intel!
    s/intel/linux/g xD

UPD:
    Code:
    echo "One more reason to not choose Intel!" | sed s/Intel/linux/g
    Last edited by RedEyed; 12 November 2021, 04:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• perpetually high
    replied
    By the way, these babies came today: Kingston ECC DDR4-3200 (2x16GB)

Going in my X570S/5800X build. Something that I *can't* do on Intel without going the server route. It seems to me going with AMD right now is a no-brainer, unless you're interested in the new Intel tech that does look interesting (with AVX512) and just the excitingness of new tech, but for me, I know AM4/Zen was my next path after being on Intel for so long.

Can't wait to get things going. Plan on overclocking the memory to 4000 or until the errors are showing up and being corrected, and then dial it back a notch. ECC for the win. (Thanks for the hot tip, Linus Torvalds)

Last edited by perpetually high; 12 November 2021, 02:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Windows 11 was leading in the Zstd compression benchmarks while the Linux distributons were experiencing the high run-to-run variance.

Leave a comment:

• perpetually high
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Except that there are boards out there for Alder lake with DDR4, having more than 2 M2 slots is actually useful and you can get 5800X performance from a 12600k at ~$200 less, yeah, solid facts, solid choice. Having (optional) WiFi and Bluetooth is also totally useless in an increasingly more mobile world.
    Also, you can play all those games if you disable the E cores. Which you don't need for gaming. And it's not that Alder Lake can't place those games, it's the idiotic DRM that thinks the low-power cores are a different system and refuse to activate it (it's just Denuvo, everything else seems to be working fine).

PS And let's all pretend AMD didn't do exactly the same with Zen2 launch - cheap, capable processors, but for the first year paired only with expensive X570 mobos.
    I don't disagree with all of your points, but I can't imagine buying Alder Lake and not going DDR5. It just seems like a really bonehead move. I went with AMD's X570S Gigabyte AORUS Master. $379 or so. Paid a lot, but I know the motherboard is important to me. The Intel version of that was $750+

I don't disagree that Zen had its own growing pains, but I'm talking about where everything stands in Q4 2021. I didn't *have* to buy the 5800X, but I know for $299, that's a buy that's going to last me many years. And on top of that, I have an upgrade path with the new Zen4 that comes out.

I have a Haswell, so I'm not an Intel hater. Their CPU has been going strong, 7+ years after I bought it, and I did plenty of overclocking. So I'm glad Intel is making a strong comeback, which as a result, also allowed me to get a comparable (or better) 5800X for an outstanding price.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    So I guess Intel's work on Linux is just for show and keeping the community alive, but nothing more.
    There's always *one* feature that Intel does on Windows first, for whatever reason.

Even worse, they got cooler names on Windows (Quick Sync, Turbo Boost, Thread Director, etc.), while what do we get on Linux? VA-API, intel_pstate, i915...

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

Exactly this, and why I didn't fall for it and buy Alder Lake at launch (went with a 5800X) and be at the mercy of DDR5 (which showns no real performance benefit in gaming), no use for PCIE5. Just a bunch of unnecessary stuff, on top of very expensive motherboards, low availability, and premature software support, not to mention it can't even play 50+ popular games.

I'm not shilling for AMD, those are just the facts.
    Except that there are boards out there for Alder lake with DDR4, having more than 2 M2 slots is actually useful and you can get 5800X performance from a 12600k at ~$200 less, yeah, solid facts, solid choice. Having (optional) WiFi and Bluetooth is also totally useless in an increasingly more mobile world.
    Also, you can play all those games if you disable the E cores. Which you don't need for gaming. And it's not that Alder Lake can't place those games, it's the idiotic DRM that thinks the low-power cores are a different system and refuse to activate it (it's just Denuvo, everything else seems to be working fine).

PS And let's all pretend AMD didn't do exactly the same with Zen2 launch - cheap, capable processors, but for the first year paired only with expensive X570 mobos.

Leave a comment:

• perpetually high
    replied
    Originally posted by spykes View Post

No, Intel just rushed the release of Alder Lake to say they are faster than AMD before the end of the year.
    So they sacrificed Linux performance for some times in exchange for a publicity stunt.
    Exactly this, and why I didn't fall for it and buy Alder Lake at launch (went with a 5800X) and be at the mercy of DDR5 (which showns no real performance benefit in gaming), no use for PCIE5. Just a bunch of unnecessary stuff, on top of very expensive motherboards, low availability, and premature software support, not to mention it can't even play 50+ popular games.

I'm not shilling for AMD, those are just the facts.

Leave a comment:

• chuckula
    replied
    Bear in mind that Phoronix's initial review of the 12900K Alder Lake that had no scheduler fixes whatsoever still beat the 5950X in general, launched at a lower price, and gives you quality integrated graphics with a full open source stack that the 5950X will literally never have. On top of that, scheduler fixes in future kernels can not only improve performance but also improve power efficiency.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Exactly! I mean: I'm not as anti-Intel as some others on here, but they're not what they used to be. That's why my new PC, that will arrive next month if shipping isn't delayed somehow, has an AMD Ryzen 9 5900X. My first AMD in, like, forever. (the last time I had one was many years ago when the proprietary Radeon drivers were always slow and broken on Linux)
    Last edited by Vistaus; 12 November 2021, 12:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X