No announcement yet.

Windows 11 Better Than Linux Right Now For Intel Alder Lake Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I guess Intel's work on Linux is just for show and keeping the community alive, but nothing more.
    There's always *one* feature that Intel does on Windows first, for whatever reason.

Even worse, they got cooler names on Windows (Quick Sync, Turbo Boost, Thread Director, etc.), while what do we get on Linux? VA-API, intel_pstate, i915...

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Except that there are boards out there for Alder lake with DDR4, having more than 2 M2 slots is actually useful and you can get 5800X performance from a 12600k at ~$200 less, yeah, solid facts, solid choice. Having (optional) WiFi and Bluetooth is also totally useless in an increasingly more mobile world.
      Also, you can play all those games if you disable the E cores. Which you don't need for gaming. And it's not that Alder Lake can't place those games, it's the idiotic DRM that thinks the low-power cores are a different system and refuse to activate it (it's just Denuvo, everything else seems to be working fine).

PS And let's all pretend AMD didn't do exactly the same with Zen2 launch - cheap, capable processors, but for the first year paired only with expensive X570 mobos.
      I don't disagree with all of your points, but I can't imagine buying Alder Lake and not going DDR5. It just seems like a really bonehead move. I went with AMD's X570S Gigabyte AORUS Master. $379 or so. Paid a lot, but I know the motherboard is important to me. The Intel version of that was $750+

I don't disagree that Zen had its own growing pains, but I'm talking about where everything stands in Q4 2021. I didn't *have* to buy the 5800X, but I know for $299, that's a buy that's going to last me many years. And on top of that, I have an upgrade path with the new Zen4 that comes out.

I have a Haswell, so I'm not an Intel hater. Their CPU has been going strong, 7+ years after I bought it, and I did plenty of overclocking. So I'm glad Intel is making a strong comeback, which as a result, also allowed me to get a comparable (or better) 5800X for an outstanding price.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Windows 11 was leading in the Zstd compression benchmarks while the Linux distributons were experiencing the high run-to-run variance.

Comment

By the way, these babies came today: Kingston ECC DDR4-3200 (2x16GB)

Going in my X570S/5800X build. Something that I *can't* do on Intel without going the server route. It seems to me going with AMD right now is a no-brainer, unless you're interested in the new Intel tech that does look interesting (with AVX512) and just the excitingness of new tech, but for me, I know AM4/Zen was my next path after being on Intel for so long.

Can't wait to get things going. Plan on overclocking the memory to 4000 or until the errors are showing up and being corrected, and then dial it back a notch. ECC for the win. (Thanks for the hot tip, Linus Torvalds)

Last edited by perpetually high; 12 November 2021, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            One more reason to not choose Intel!
            s/intel/linux/g xD

UPD:
            Code:
            echo "One more reason to not choose Intel!" | sed s/Intel/linux/g
            Last edited by RedEyed; 12 November 2021, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RedEyed View Post

s/intel/linux/g xD
              -e expression #1, char 17: unknown option to `s'

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
                And why would Red Hat care about a desktop CPU since that is not the core market for RHEL?
                Because the people that write the software for RHEL use it, even if it's just in a VM on Windows. Eventually that software has to be proven on bare metal regardless where it's written. Linux might be irrelevant on the general purpose desktop, but it's not at all irrelevant for workstations that build the software that runs on the servers. RHEL v8 is too old to bother with updating for such a change in CPU architecture as Alder Lake. Most of the work is going to be in RHEL v9 beta and maybe if someone pays them a massive contract, back ported to 8, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

What does it matter anyway? Intel has it's own Linux team and its own experimental Linux distro. If they want to integrate patches into Linux's ecosystem, they don't have to go through RedHat, and neither does anyone else. It's not like RH is gatekeeping CPU changes for the kernel.

Comment

Thing is, I bet most of us wouldn't notice any performance 'dips' in our day to day usage of computers whether you have relatively new AMD or Intel processors installed. Its like arguing whether grass is green or slightly greenish.... Benchmarking is great for showing relative performance ... but other than bragging rights ("psss, hey, I got an awesome processor that beats yours... I get 1.4fps more than anyone else in da whole world!" ) , not so much for our desktops/workstations whether Windoze or Linux or BSD, or... whatever. Point is, whatever processor you pick from Intel or AMD, you'll be more than satisfied. As for Linux on Desktop being irrelevant ... All my desktops.laptops, and workstations run Linux and a GUI (KDE currently). Home file server runs headless of course. So not irrelevant to me, and they do everything I need them to do and then some. Why people would pay to load Windows is beyond me in this day and age .
                  Last edited by rclark; 12 November 2021, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    Even worse, they got cooler names on Windows (Quick Sync, Turbo Boost, Thread Director, etc.), while what do we get on Linux? VA-API, intel_pstate, i915...
                    Are you really complaining that marketing doesn't get enough of a say on what things are done on linux, rather than leaving it to the engineers?

Comment

Originally posted by lamka02sk View Post

Irrelevant? Maybe. But definitely important in today's world.
                      Desktop?? Not really.

Comment

Working...
                      X