Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Linux Performance Benchmark Data For Alder Lake, Comparison Data Points

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

    Thought it was really cool that Intel hooked you up with samples, as they should (as it's ultimately in their best interest, not so much that they're doing anyone favors). I hope AMD *seriously* considers sending you the samples time and saving you hard-earned money.
    Generally speaking, AMD is usually good with samples on the CPU side... Usually also including RAM and mobos as part of their press kits, etc. Most often I am sampled except for surprisingly no Threadripper PRO ever sampled... It's on the AMD GPU side where I am left out on the workstation side or select cards like still no RX 6900 XT.

    Intel for the past decade or so has usually been good about samples, albeit sometimes delayed or other factors and not always including mobos. I communicate with the likes of Gigabyte and ASUS and MSI but usually are not too interested in desktop Linux samples scope.
    Michael Larabel
    http://www.michaellarabel.com/

    Comment


    • #12
      Michael
      Phoronix
      Michael thanks for clarifying. That's good to know about AMD also.

      I can understand MSI/ASUS/Gigabyte and others, but when it comes to Intel/AMD, I mean there's only two main dogs in the fight. And you've been doing this for a long time. And you contribute back, so you find a lot of stuff early that they would have to pay people a lot of money to find out. And we both know it would have zero effect to their budget, so to me it's a bad oversight on their end, which ends up as a big headache for us (the customers) later on.

      Anyways, we appreciate it. Thanks again.

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by jaxa View Post

        E-cores are Atom cores, so you've already got that. It's called Jasper Lake and Elkhart Lake.
        Yes, and I'm basically just asking for the next generation of Elkhart Lake. I have a feeling these gracemonts are awesome. I guess I won't complain about the plans to include a P core, but it's overkill for what I want to do. Looks like four gracemonts alone could mop the floor with a Raspberry Pi 4 and use half the power. Plus, I wouldn't have to wait three years for the graphics stack to mature.

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by Michael View Post
          I communicate with the likes of Gigabyte and ASUS and MSI but usually are not too interested in desktop Linux samples scope.
          Biostar has sampled Level 1 Techs before, maybe they would be more positive on getting your feedback.

          As for AMD, I hope if nothing else Alder Lake's performance makes it double sure you are sent Zen 3D samples. For Intel's part, I suppose it looks good that they sent samples even though they must have known you would publicise their scheduling issues. Regarding graphics, I hope Intel samples you ARC cards, with a further result of lifting dragging tails at other vendors.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by jaxa View Post

            E-cores are Atom cores, so you've already got that. It's called Jasper Lake and Elkhart Lake.
            [...]
            E-cores are not Atom cores, not even Elkhart Lake one. E-cores are Gracemont which are so far only available in ADL and which are quite powerful. Intel estimates them to be more or less on Skylake performance level.
            So yes, we may get Gracemon-based Atoms in the future, but I'm afraid we will need to wait a bit for those as Elkhart lake just starts to be deployed and this is more than year after announcement. Also I would guess those will rather replace Atom Pxxxx line of networking SoCs then embedded SoC first.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
              Thought it was really cool that Intel hooked you up with samples, as they should (as it's ultimately in their best interest, not so much that they're doing anyone favors). I hope AMD *seriously* considers sending you the samples time and saving you hard-earned money.
              We are doing better financially these days, but I don't think we have the budget (or even access) to send pre-release Intel samples to Michael
              Test signature

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by kgardas View Post

                E-cores are not Atom cores, not even Elkhart Lake one. E-cores are Gracemont which are so far only available in ADL and which are quite powerful. Intel estimates them to be more or less on Skylake performance level.
                So yes, we may get Gracemon-based Atoms in the future, but I'm afraid we will need to wait a bit for those as Elkhart lake just starts to be deployed and this is more than year after announcement. Also I would guess those will rather replace Atom Pxxxx line of networking SoCs then embedded SoC first.
                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gracem...roarchitecture)

                Gracemont is the 4th generation out-of-order low-power Atom microarchitecture, built on the Intel 7 manufacturing process.
                https://www.anandtech.com/show/16881...rchitectures/4

                The smaller core as part of Intel’s hybrid Alder Lake design is called an E-core, and is built on the Gracemont microarchitecture. It forms part of Intel’s Atom family of processors, and is a significant microarchitectural jump over the previous Atom core design called Tremont.
                E-cores are Atom cores. Get your facts straight if you want to nitpick.

                Also, I know that Jasper Lake and Elkhart Lake contain Tremont cores and not Gracemont. My whole point was that I don't want a Gracemont-only successor to those lineups (at the very least Jasper Lake which is aimed more at consumers). I just want to see Alder Lake-M fill those roles with up to 2 big cores and up to 8 small (Atom) cores.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by bridgman View Post

                  We are doing better financially these days, but I don't think we have the budget (or even access) to send pre-release Intel samples to Michael
                  Haha unroll those eyes bridgman! I meant sending Michael samples of AMD's pre-releases.

                  By the way, ordered a 5800X today for $299 from Microcenter. I'm stoked sir! 4c/4t -> 8c/16t

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by jaxa View Post

                    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gracem...roarchitecture)



                    https://www.anandtech.com/show/16881...rchitectures/4



                    E-cores are Atom cores. Get your facts straight if you want to nitpick.

                    Also, I know that Jasper Lake and Elkhart Lake contain Tremont cores and not Gracemont. My whole point was that I don't want a Gracemont-only successor to those lineups (at the very least Jasper Lake which is aimed more at consumers). I just want to see Alder Lake-M fill those roles with up to 2 big cores and up to 8 small (Atom) cores.
                    Ha! In your reaction to OP you told to compare with Jasper/Elkhart lake which is Tremont based design. I reacted claiming this is a nonsense since Gracemont are not atom (or atom like cores), they are more like Skylake cores. So point is, your recommendation for comparison is incorrect.

                    Technnically Wikipedia is also wrong about "atom microarchitecture" there is nothing like "atom mikroarchitectrure" as microarchitectrure is Tremont and Gracemont and Goldmont Plus and Goldmont and whatever.

                    The point is, there is not Intel Atom processor or SoC with Gracemont core and it'll not be probably for quite some time. So do not talk about "Atom" here.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
                      By the way, ordered a 5800X today for $299 from Microcenter. I'm stoked sir! 4c/4t -> 8c/16t
                      Dang, that's a great price.
                      Test signature

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X