Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TYPO TYPO TYPO

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Alder Lake was also performing well with TensorFlow Lite.

PLAIDML PLAIDML PLAIDML

As well under the PlaidML machine learning software was a good showing for Alder Lake
    You apparently forgot to replace that placeholder THERE THERE THERE

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Intel Thread Director is not even scheduled for 5.16 which means Linux is unlikely to get full support for ADL CPUs in the next 6-9 months (!) considering that most distros, sans Arch and Fedora, don't upgrade to the mainline kernel right away.
      Thread Director is one of Intel's hyped ~Technologies~. The Linux way of dealing with heterogenous CPUs is for the plaform/device tree/etc. to inform the kernel of the "capacity" of each core. I wonder if that's plumbed up for Alder Lake?

Comment

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post

I've heard the same but a 16 E-core chip would be pretty tiny. For data centers I'm sure they'd prefer to have the same die area but with P-cores replaced with E-cores which would be about 40 cores.
        The point is that instead of using a 40 P core processor you could use a 160 E core processor in the same die area but with 40% less power consumption.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
          And Intel allows for competition while others in the IT industry did everything they could to destroy theirs.
          A bold statement considering the many times Intel lost in court over anti-competitive practices (and had to pay billions to AMD). They seem to only allow competition from AMD up to a certain point, basically allowing them to be a deterrent for antitrust investigations from governments. The situation has changed a bit lately with the advent of ARM in more markets and the general lack of antitrust action from governments (when compared for example to the 90's).

Comment

Speaking of p- vs e-cores, here's in depth coverage from computerbase.de:

It's quite dense German text but Google Translate probably can manage it.

Comment

Good showing and in desperate need of a "tock" (bring back the "tock")

Comment

While Alder Lake seems to be a great step forward for Intel, from a consumer perspective, Raptor Lake should be even more appealing. At least I expect them to solve the AVX-512 dilemma with their new Thread Scheduler with that iteration, maybe they fine tune their 10 nm process a bit further and fix a couple of other architecture bugs. By then I also expect DDR5-pricing to be more sane.

Comment

Originally posted by cjcox View Post
                  Good showing and in desperate need of a "tock" (bring back the "tock")
                  Tock was a new microarchitecture, so with ADL there's two Tocks - Golden Cove (P-cores) and Gracemont (E-cores). You can argue that it's a Tock-Tock-Tick as well, at least for the desktop vs. Rocket Lake, since it's the first desktop processor on the Intel 7 (previously known as 10ESF) manufacturing process

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
                  While Alder Lake seems to be a great step forward for Intel, from a consumer perspective, Raptor Lake should be even more appealing. At least I expect them to solve the AVX-512 dilemma with their new Thread Scheduler with that iteration, maybe they fine tune their 10 nm process a bit further and fix a couple of other architecture bugs. By then I also expect DDR5-pricing to be more sane.
                  I'm not sure that the AVX-512 problem can be solved in any other way than by introducing it to E-cores, at least without breaking backwards compatibility along the way.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
                    Guess the "AVC512 dilemma" is not caused by the Thread-Scheduler but more by the E-Cores not supporting it.
                    Having cores with different ISAs / extensions isnĀ“t supported by most platforms at least not if you want to move threads between these cores.

Comment

Originally posted by numacross View Post

I'm not sure that the AVX-512 problem can be solved in any other way than by introducing it to E-cores, at least without breaking backwards compatibility along the way.
                      But ... can't the OS simply never let AVX-512 tasks run on e-cores? It's trivial to detect AVX-512 instructions and then pin the application to the appropriate cores. If I've said something stupid, please let me know.

Comment

Working...
                      X