No announcement yet.

Intel Core i5 12600K / Core i9 12900K "Alder Lake" Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now that there is confirmation that AVX-512 works when the E-cores are disabled, I'd love to see a few test runs with AVX-512 workloads if your motherboard lets you get to a configuration where AVX-512 works.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
      As much as I consider Intel to be the Monsanto of the semiconductor world, ...
      You neither know Intel nor Monsanto, or you would not ever compare them to one another.

I prefer AMD myself, but I can still appreciate how much Intel has done and still is doing for the industry, an industry they helped to create and shape in significant ways. And Intel allows for competition while others in the IT industry did everything they could to destroy theirs.

Monsanto however is a whole different class of evil... One, who thinks they can do no evil. They are like a teenager with a planet-size chemistry set, who has never heard of the word "side-effect".
      Last edited by sdack; 04 November 2021, 02:07 PM.

Comment

I am really glad to see Intel has taken a big step forward and is again pretty competitive with AMD's offerings. The best possible outcome is that every year the performance leader changes, fierce competition is great for the consumer.

Comment

TYPO TYPO TYPO

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          Alder Lake was also performing well with TensorFlow Lite.

PLAIDML PLAIDML PLAIDML

As well under the PlaidML machine learning software was a good showing for Alder Lake
          You apparently forgot to replace that placeholder THERE THERE THERE

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Intel Thread Director is not even scheduled for 5.16 which means Linux is unlikely to get full support for ADL CPUs in the next 6-9 months (!) considering that most distros, sans Arch and Fedora, don't upgrade to the mainline kernel right away.
            Thread Director is one of Intel's hyped ~Technologies~. The Linux way of dealing with heterogenous CPUs is for the plaform/device tree/etc. to inform the kernel of the "capacity" of each core. I wonder if that's plumbed up for Alder Lake?

Comment

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post

I've heard the same but a 16 E-core chip would be pretty tiny. For data centers I'm sure they'd prefer to have the same die area but with P-cores replaced with E-cores which would be about 40 cores.
              The point is that instead of using a 40 P core processor you could use a 160 E core processor in the same die area but with 40% less power consumption.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
                And Intel allows for competition while others in the IT industry did everything they could to destroy theirs.
                A bold statement considering the many times Intel lost in court over anti-competitive practices (and had to pay billions to AMD). They seem to only allow competition from AMD up to a certain point, basically allowing them to be a deterrent for antitrust investigations from governments. The situation has changed a bit lately with the advent of ARM in more markets and the general lack of antitrust action from governments (when compared for example to the 90's).

Comment

Speaking of p- vs e-cores, here's in depth coverage from computerbase.de:

https://www.computerbase.de/2021-11/...12600k-test/2/

It's quite dense German text but Google Translate probably can manage it.

Comment

Good showing and in desperate need of a "tock" (bring back the "tock")

Comment

While Alder Lake seems to be a great step forward for Intel, from a consumer perspective, Raptor Lake should be even more appealing. At least I expect them to solve the AVX-512 dilemma with their new Thread Scheduler with that iteration, maybe they fine tune their 10 nm process a bit further and fix a couple of other architecture bugs. By then I also expect DDR5-pricing to be more sane.

Comment

Working...
                      X