No announcement yet.

Ampere Altra Max M128-30 Linux Performance Preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Impressive performance and power consumption, but I can't find any word on cost of these processors.

Also, while there are benchmarks that run on this architecture, i wonder how many real world applications there are that can work with these processors.

Comment

vs. Apple M1 single-thread?

Ampere, I am waiting for your 8-core processor...

Phoronix doesn't test single-thread performance, and I cannot pay $10,000 just to test that :<
      Last edited by tildearrow; 28 September 2021, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by peterdk View Post

Would love to see those indeed.

Also, the mandelbrot c source https://gist.github.com/andrejbauer/7919569 , where you pin 1 .bin running to each cpu core.
        That's what I use to see the icelake drawing power. Give it a fairly large image size so it runs for a few min. So if you have 112 cores then run 112 .bin one pin to each cpu.
        Last edited by onlyLinuxLuvUBack; 28 September 2021, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

Also, while there are benchmarks that run on this architecture, i wonder how many real world applications there are that can work with these processors.
          You can buy an raspberry pi 4 and find out.
          It runs pretty much anything that isn't closed source. Libreoffice, Gnome, Firefox and much more.
          Desktop Arm64 Linux is done and 100% ready. (Except for the newest AMD graphics cards)

Comment

Originally posted by Etherman View Post
            You can buy an raspberry pi 4 and find out.
            It runs pretty much anything that isn't closed source. Libreoffice, Gnome, Firefox and much more.
            Desktop Arm64 Linux is done and 100% ready. (Except for the newest AMD graphics cards)
            Also almost anything interpreted, even if its closed source, like Java, Python, and so on.

Comment

Michael maybe a toolchain comparison (GCC vs LLVM) would be nice. Both have received new features lately, especially for ARM

Comment

I would love if they made a micro-ATX board with an 8-core CPU for pro-tinkerers, developers, and businesses looking to dip their feet in ARM waters.

Comment

Originally posted by mangeek View Post
                  I would love if they made a micro-ATX board with an 8-core CPU for pro-tinkerers, developers, and businesses looking to dip their feet in ARM waters.
                  AFAIK there is a 4-core board - I believe they only made a 4 core evaluation CPU:

Test signature

Comment

High performance ARM based desktop computers for the consumer won't be a thing anytime soon. This market is too niche for a high volume. It's too niche for any considerable volume actually. I do not know why exactly some of you have such a hard on for ARM, but you can calm down and go buy f***ing i5s/R5s, since they won't be beaten on general desktop price/perf for decades to come, not to mention software compatibility and optimizations. Most of you code in scripting shits like Python/JS anyway, so ISA does not even affect you aside form "I want modern ISA cause it's cool".

Comment

Originally posted by drakonas777 View Post
                      High performance ARM based desktop computers for the consumer won't be a thing anytime soon. This market is too niche for a high volume. It's too niche for any considerable volume actually. I do not know why exactly some of you have such a hard on for ARM, but you can calm down and go buy f***ing i5s/R5s, since they won't be beaten on general desktop price/perf for decades to come, not to mention software compatibility and optimizations. Most of you code in scripting shits like Python/JS anyway, so ISA does not even affect you aside form "I want modern ISA cause it's cool".
                      What about for small server (small office/home office/small and micro company)? The low power draw of Arm (compared to x86) is attractive, and Apple proved that even on a high performance design (e.g. Apple M1) Arm matches or even outperforms x86.
                      I don't code in "scripting shits" too much. Most of the code I run on/write for my server is Java and C/C++.

Unrelated: Also due to the low power draw of most Arm designs (well, except Ampere's but those are over 100 core monsters), it becomes much easier to power a board from DC without using a large power supply.
                      On the other hand, x86 boards have high power requirements, and 99.9% of the time you have to use a power supply which is usually (99% of the time) powered by AC.
                      During a power outage, getting DC from a battery is much easier and much more efficient than either using a generator (not too efficient) or a battery connected to an inverter (which is redundant since you are converting DC > AC > DC).

Comment

Working...
                      X