Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Intel Software Defined Silicon" Coming To Linux For Activating Extra Licensed Hardware Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

I would argue that limited production capacity is a third factor, at least in terms of the "price jump" that Birdie is talking about - lack of a 3700X replacement leading to comparing 5800X pricing against 3700X pricing.

Normally the lower binned parts are designed around yield expectations but the market demand for lower parts outstrips the fallout we get from production. As a consequence vendors will typically take any higher end parts they can fab in excess of demand and fuse them off to sell as a lower end part.

In the current shortage situation we don't have the opportunity to build "higher end parts in excess of demand" and the lower end parts get delayed as a consequence... and in the absence of a "5700X" to compare with a 3700X it appears we have hiked our prices more than we really did.
    Finally. Thank you. I've got nothing else to add. I sure hope all AMD lovers here have read this post and absorbed it.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      Finally. Thank you. I've got nothing else to add. I sure hope all AMD lovers here have read this post and absorbed it.
      In the current shortage situation we don't have the opportunity to build "higher end parts in excess of demand" and the lower end parts get delayed

First part of that sentence supply issues. Also note you were comparing chips of different levels with each other because AMD could not get supply to make the 5700X. Yes the 65W 8 core part is still missing out the 5000x lineup.

Normally the lower binned parts are designed around yield expectations but the market demand for lower parts outstrips the fallout we get from production. As a consequence vendors will typically take any higher end parts they can fab in excess of demand and fuse them off to sell as a lower end part.

Notice something this is why you get away with overclocking the lower end parts so much. But when you have a silicon supply nightmare like we currently do the low end parts are missing in a lot of cases because they don't have excess high end supply to bin down.

Ryzen 7 3800X July 7, 2019 US $399 yes the 5800X $449 so up by 50 dollars. or a 12% increase. This is also meant to be the same watt part. Remember the 3800X AMD got the silicon for those with TSMC volume discount in full. The 5800X they did not get same TSMC volume discount.

birdie majority of the low end problem with AMD cost is silicon supply as in unable get enough. Yes the performance increase a cross the board from 3800X to the 5800X was greater than the cost increase. The cost increase between the 3800X and 5800X is also mostly TSMC volume discount being clawed back then removed yes silicon supply.

Remember Nvidia is now having to lift their GPU prices to cover samsung silicon prices on them again another silicon supply issue.

Remember AMD has to make enough money so they have enough money give to TSMC to make their next batches. So the 5800X had to be priced as if it did not get any volume discount because TSMC was repeatably reducing discount this was the correct move.

Intel for their CPUs is currently not under fab supply short fall. So should be a lot more competitive priced than what they are as well.

Remember fabs are pay in advance most of the money(around 70%) and then pay final amount to get final delivery. Yes the 30% discount use to be you did big enough order that you get final delivery with no charge.
      Last edited by oiaohm; 01 October 2021, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

He literally said they did not raise the prices as much as people subjectively perceive due the lack of lower tier parts. But it's OK, I see your shaky-hands anger-filled condition really twists the way you think and see.

Comment

Working...
        X