Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updated AMD P-State Driver Published For Linux

Phoronix: Updated AMD P-State Driver Published For Linux

Earlier this month AMD published their "amd-pstate" Linux driver that leverages ACPI CPPC data to make more informed CPU frequency scaling decisions with an aim to boost the performance-per-Watt for Zen 3 (and eventually Zen 2) processors on Linux. The second spin of that "amd-pstate" Linux kernel driver is now available for testing...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-amd-pstate-v2

``amd-pstate`` mainly supports ``schedutil`` and ``ondemand`` for dynamic frequency control. It is to fine tune the processor configuration on ``amd-pstate`` to the ``schedutil`` with CPU CFS scheduler.
    So does that mean that P-State is dependent on CFS and may not work if we're using something like BFS or MuQSS?

That's also an ATM Machine.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      So does that mean that P-State is dependent on CFS and may not work if we're using something like BFS or MuQSS?
      Yeah, for now, it's dependent on CFS but Project C schedulers (BMQ & PDS, forked from BFS long time ago) might receive support once it's mainlined (schedutil is supported already for 5.10 & 5.11+). MuQSS is discontinued.

Comment

v2 works on a 5900x no more error loading the module but in my case I needed to remove the acpi_cpufreq and load the amd-pstate module

Comment

yeah, well, if you have p-states and not run with the higher performance x2apic, ... but I debugged this over the weekend, and here is the glorious one-liner patch that big cooperations like AMD or the Linux Foundation should have plumbed fixed years ago ;-) https://youtu.be/BTI78pG2V80
          Last edited by rene; 26 September 2021, 04:24 PM.

Comment

amd-pstate is to support one of the Zen3 processors
            Do we know which one?
            I just tried with my 5600G. Applied the patch and rebuilt the kernel, but the module is not loading. CPPC is enabled in bios!

Comment

Working...
            X