Linux 5.15 Is A Very Exciting Kernel For AMD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    The article explains most of the changes are new hardware and other changes are improvements. Do you have anything that does not work?
    Originally posted by brad0 View Post
    Intel commits a whole lot more patches to make their stuff work. Comments like this are so ignorant, but typical.
    I have 5 graphics cards, 2 laptops, 1 workstation, and 2 servers. All AMD and none work 100%. AMD just doesn't work that well in my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Teggs View Post
      Terascale
      GCN 1.0
      GCN 1.1
      GCN 1.2

Buyer beware.
      if buyer cares about such stuff, he can look it up, it's not some secret knowledge and amd never claimed that "terascale is gcn 1.2" or something like that. most buyers don't care
      Last edited by pal666; 12 September 2021, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by linner View Post
        I have 5 graphics cards, 2 laptops, 1 workstation, and 2 servers. All AMD and none work 100%. AMD just doesn't work that well in my experience.
        my amd hardware works. are you sure it's amd's fault?

Comment

I haven't had any Intel gear that 100% worked either. I'm not impressed with my experience with Intel hardware either. I'm thoroughly disgusted with how buggy practically everything is nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post

The article explains most of the changes are new hardware and other changes are improvements. Do you have anything that does not work?
            To be honest when you compare AMD to Intel in this specific area historically there is a world of difference. That seems to be changing lately though with AMD stepping up their Linux support a lot in the past 2 years.

Comment

I haven't had any Intel gear that 100% worked either. I'm not impressed with my experience with Intel hardware either. I'm thoroughly disgusted with how buggy practically everything is nowadays.
              Yes, Intel and nVidia are terrible in their own ways, I just find them to be the lesser of the evils right now. I'll probably keep giving AMD a shot because I hate monoculture but so far I've been unimpressed. It may even be that AMD hardware is not that bad and it's just software issues. AMD/ATI have an awful history when it comes to software.

Comment

I'm a Linux user who has just placed an order for an AMD 5900HX laptop with an RTX 3070. Such a touch choice between the Intel 11800H and the AMD 5900HX. I have an AMD Ryzen 9 in my desktop, and it has provided a really good Linux experience. Looking forward to the 5.15 kernel.

Comment

Intel commits a whole lot more patches to make their stuff work. Comments like this are so ignorant, but typical.
                  The thing I've wondered the most is onboard audio. I've had a spdif/7.1 chip in all mobos since maybe 2008. The feature set seems pretty much identical. Sometimes better snr, sometimes worse. Same physical jacks, same front panel hd audio connector. Yet, 10 different drivers. They all look the same in pulseaudio and pipewire. But need new drivers each year. I wonder why.

Comment

Actually to me this looks bad for AMD. Why do they need so many changes just to make their stuff work?
                    Um. Because that's how hardware support works? Intel, IBM, Samsung, on and on are no different. You submit as many patches as needed to get your hardware to work. Not every possibility can ever be tested in-house. Intel just happens to have a lot of in-house software support for their processors. AMD only recently started hiring on Linux devs mostly because of Valve. I doubt even after some bad press over the Zen launch and neglecting to test outside of Windows environments they much care about Zen desktop SKUs on FOSS OS desktops. AMD has a blind spot when it comes to any OS other than Windows for desktops. Meanwhile Intel does indeed target the FOSS community with product support because it also helps development for servers and workstations - and it's good PR.

I'm not an Intel apologist. The current desktop I'm writing this on is AMD. I've just kept up with AMD's CPU side of things closely. While their GPU efforts have been... um... interesting, their day one CPU support has been lackluster, while Intel has been on the ball.

Comment

The thing I most want AMD to get their act together on is RAID. I've inherited a system which due to what it is used for is stuffed full of GPUs and has no room for a dedicated RAID controller card... while the AMD motherboard/software/fake/whatever-you-want-to-call-it works fine in Windows with the appropriate driver, Linux won't even see it. I tried mdadm RAID but the array falls apart on every reboot and I won't risk not being able to put it together again.

I'm not actually enormously fussed about per-core temperature monitoring. It was nice when I was into overclocking in a big way, but now I'm more interested in systems being stable for months at a time. My 3900X system is fairly well behaved, but the odd kernel regression does hit it occasionally - one landed yesterday; my wireless mouse now won't work through the KVM switch USB port unless I replug it after I'm at a desktop. Works fine with previous kernel version.

Comment

Working...
                      X