Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.15 Is A Very Exciting Kernel For AMD

Phoronix: Linux 5.15 Is A Very Exciting Kernel For AMD

While working on my usual Linux kernel feature overview that summarizes the many articles over the past two weeks outlining all of the new features and changes merged, one area that particularly stands out for Linux 5.15 are all of AMD's upstream contributions that happened to make it in this kernel. There is a lot of new enablement on the AMD side -- both for CPUs and Radeon graphics -- but also improving existing hardware support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I really hope the temperature monitoring code is on par with Intel's because I heard stories of:

- Missing sensors (voltage, per-core and misc)
    - The temperature offset seems to be arbitrary with every new CPU

Comment

After Intel has been given the spotlight with all its CPU vulnerabilities and need for patches many times in the past is it only fair for AMD to steal some of the spotlight with good news.

Comment

Will Rembrandt also have ACP 5.x?

Comment

Actually to me this looks bad for AMD. Why do they need so many changes just to make their stuff work?

Comment

Originally posted by linner View Post
            Actually to me this looks bad for AMD. Why do they need so many changes just to make their stuff work?
            The article explains most of the changes are new hardware and other changes are improvements. Do you have anything that does not work?

Comment

Does any of this affect the Ryzen 2400G?

Comment

Getting a amd cpu/gpu gui to control voltage and speed and fans etc like on the windows side hopefully will be coming down the pipe soon enough

Comment

Originally posted by Phoronix
                  ...possible RDNA2 graphics card refresh or other rumors around Radeon RX 7000 series being a mix of existing and new GPUs.
                  This kind of shell game is beloved of marketing pukes, but misleading and tiresome to the people whose money makes the company run: the customer. Hopefully it won't be as bad as the 200 series, which included:

Terascale
                  GCN 1.0
                  GCN 1.1
                  GCN 1.2

Buyer beware.

Comment

Originally posted by linner View Post
                    Intel commits a whole lot more patches to make their stuff work. Comments like this are so ignorant, but typical.

Comment

Working...
                    X