Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Posts New "AMD-PSTATE" CPUFreq Driver Leveraging CPPC For Better Perf-Per-Watt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Posts New "AMD-PSTATE" CPUFreq Driver Leveraging CPPC For Better Perf-Per-Watt

Phoronix: AMD Posts New "AMD-PSTATE" CPUFreq Driver Leveraging CPPC For Better Perf-Per-Watt

At last! AMD has posted the Linux kernel driver patches for their new "AMD-PSTATE" driver! This driver with modern AMD Zen CPUs (initially limited to Zen 3) to achieve greater performance per Watt / power efficiency on Linux than the conventional ACPI CPUFreq driver...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...MD-PSTATE-2021

Sounds promising! I can't wait for them to extend it to zen2 so I can try it out with my renoir laptop and in the close future the steamdeck! (Note to others: steamdeck is zen2 and not zen3)

Comment

It's almost like the Valve Index is good for AMD notebook processors on Linux overall.
      Suddenly there is movement on suspend-resume, modern-standby and many other energy efficiency related fixes.

Hoping this will backport to Renoir soon.

Comment

I preordered a Steam Deck mostly because it's a Linux based system, I don't really need a portable game machine.
        It's nice to see that the project is already helping to improve Linux!

Comment

Considering the Zen3's performance-per-watt was already good, this is a surprising and welcome change.

Comment

How is this useful in the bigger picture? (serious question)
            I thought 'we' are trying to optimize schedutil..

Comment

Is this supposed to land in 5.15 or later? Article doesn't mention

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post
                How is this useful in the bigger picture? (serious question)
                I thought 'we' are trying to optimize schedutil..
                It's right there in the patches

"amd-pstate" leverages the Linux kernel governors such as *schedutil*,
                *ondemand*, etc. to manage the performance hints which are provided by CPPC
                hardware functionality. The first version for amd-pstate is to support one
                of the Zen3 processors, and we will support more in future after we verify
                the hardware and SBIOS functionalities.

Comment

Originally posted by ciupenhauer View Post
                  Is this supposed to land in 5.15 or later? Article doesn't mention
                  not gonna land for 5.15 - they just got posted! they gotta be reviewed

Comment

Originally posted by oskar-n View Post
                    I preordered a Steam Deck mostly because it's a Linux based system, I don't really need a portable game machine.
                    It's nice to see that the project is already helping to improve Linux!
                    With the upcoming dock you can use it as a portable machine when hooked up to a monitor/TV ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Working...
                    X