AMD Ryzen 5 5600G Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by avem View Post

The normal 5000 APUs do not support ECC, you'll need the Pro versions for that, e.g. Ryzen 5 PRO 5650G.
    Not according to AMD Tech support:

1st email:
    To: [email protected];[email protected]
    CC:
    Sent: 06.08.21 09:34:37
    Subject: ECC support
    Do the new 5700g, 5600g processors have ECC support, or is that feature limited to the 5750g pro and 5650g pro models? Of course, this assumes support in the bios and motherboard. Thanks, Bruce

The reply:

On Mon, Aug 9, 2021 at 7:37 AM <[email protected]> wrote:

Dear Bruce,
    Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[8201120637]} has been reviewed and updated.
    Response and Service Request History:
    Thank you for your email.
    I would like to inform that ECC supported for the AMD Ryzen, but it's up to the motherboard manufacturers to implement hardware and firmware support for it.
    It will support but I suggest you make sure that the ECC memory support from motherboard before purchasing the motherboard.

Thanks for contacting AMD.
    In order to update this service request, please respond without deleting or modifying the service request reference number in the email subject or in the email correspondence below.
    Please Note: This service request will automatically close if we do not receive a response within 10 days and cannot be reopened.
    If it is not feasible to respond within 10 days, feel free to open a new service request and reference this ticket for continued support.
    Best regards,
    Niharika
    AMD Global Customer Care

2nd email for clarification:
    Bruce Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 4:19 PM
    To: [email protected]
    Dear Sir:

I sent the email request due to the fact that ECC was not enabled for the standard AMD Ryzen Raven Ridge processors with Vega graphics (2200g, 2400g, 3200g, 3400g), but it was enabled for the 3200g PRO and 3400g PRO models, and of course all non-APU models. Many motherboard vendors will specifically state this fact on their product pages. Most of the motherboard product pages do not have any updated information on the new 5600g and 5700g processors, other than listed support on the bios update pages. They are probably still in the process of updating their websites.
    So to confirm, ECC support is enabled (even if not officially supported/tested) on all Cezanne APU's (standard and PRO models)?

Regards,
    Bruce

2nd Reply:
    Unfortunately, I deleted this second reply. It was VERY sharp in tone and it stated they had already answered the question in that all Ryzen 5000 series cpu's support ECC.

I agree with you that is is possible that only PRO models support ECC, but I was as very specific in my question. So, I am unsure if the answer from AMD is correct. If it is from tech support I will believe it, if it is from marketing, then I am unsure if there is still a communication problem. Hence my still valid request for testing ECC unbuffered memory.

From what I have gathered from many hours of web searching, the onboard video had problems with ECC (not the cpu) for the 2000/3000 apu's, and it may or may not have been corrected for the later apu's.

The soap opera continues..... LOL
    I

Comment

Well hell, it looks like Wendall over at Level1 Techs has already tested them for ECC with success being reported for the Asrock Taichi 570. Some other boards failed. AMD also told him that all 5000g apu's support ECC if the motherboard bios supports it.

AMD Ryzen 5700G and 5600G are here! Heres what we think!5700G: https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-7-5700g5600G: https://www.amd.com/en/products/ap...

Skip to 8:45 if you only want to hear the ECC information..

There is still hope.

Comment

What other excuses do you have to justify the results which run contrary to all other results on the net and to Michael's own previous results?
        Since when is trying to figure out why there's a weird result finding excuses? It's a possible explanation, and one that seems relatively likely to me.

I'm confused about why you seem so hell-bent on assuming otherwise. In fact, I'm not exactly sure what your point even is. You think Michael is intentionally faking the test results to make Intel look bad or something?

Comment

Originally posted by trueblue View Post
          Well hell, it looks like Wendall over at Level1 Techs has already tested them for ECC with success being reported for the Asrock Taichi 570. Some other boards failed. AMD also told him that all 5000g apu's support ECC if the motherboard bios supports it.

AMD Ryzen 5700G and 5600G are here! Heres what we think!5700G: https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-7-5700g5600G: https://www.amd.com/en/products/ap...

Skip to 8:45 if you only want to hear the ECC information..

There is still hope.
          Let's wait for the followup, the jury is still out on the issue because on previous gen Ryzen APUs, PRO was the only SKU to support ECC. Besides the youtuber in question said that the Linux kernel had not actually showed that ECC was enabled.

I'm not a big believer in AMD support since they don't always get the right information.

Comment

Here's an article on Phoronix which proves your wrong:
            reread my statement and think again how this article can prove it wrong. if anything, it proves that you shouldn't bring random windows charts into discussion

Comment

previous gen Ryzen APUs, PRO was the only SKU to support ECC.
              I believe you are wrong here. I think it was ryao who got clarification from a vendor that the BIOS code which shipped from AMD to mobo vendors by default enabled ECC only on PRO APUs. And no mobo vendor bothered to change the default. But the non-PRO Ryzen 2000/3000 APUs are ECC capable, you just can't use this capability with the mobos on the market today.

This also means that AM4 mobos with coreboot might be able to enable ECC on non-Pro Athlon and Ryzen 2000/3000 APUs.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                I believe you are wrong here. I think it was ryao who got clarification from a vendor that the BIOS code which shipped from AMD to mobo vendors by default enabled ECC only on PRO APUs. And no mobo vendor bothered to change the default. But the non-PRO Ryzen 2000/3000 APUs are ECC capable, you just can't use this capability with the mobos on the market today.

This also means that AM4 mobos with coreboot might be able to enable ECC on non-Pro Athlon and Ryzen 2000/3000 APUs.
                It's a dull converation anyways. People who can afford ECC memory can surely pay extra for the Pro moniker or even the "normal" 5000 Ryzen CPUs. And the number of people who are interested in paying extra for ECC is still too small to argue about it as if our lives depended on it.

Lastly ECC memory not only costs more, it usually runs at quite pathetic speeds. It's quite sad really. I'd be glad if ECC was the standard for memory and it wasn't meant for "enterprise" only. Peace out.

Comment

Working...
                X