AMD Ryzen 7 5700G Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kneekoo View Post

Thanks, I was wondering how the missing temperature monitoring behaves - if it's about the whole package, the CPU or iGPU. Great news, though! It means I can keep looking for parts for my new PC. Now having a benchmark for 5600G would help my decision to getting one of the CPUs. The graphics is the same in both, but whether it's worth the extra $100 for 2 more cores... who knows. 6 cores are already great for many things, so I'll wait for more info to come out. Hopefully the prices will also turn out in my favor.
    R5 5600G
    6C/12T
    Base clock 3.9 GHz
    Boost clock 4.4 GHz
    Ref: https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-5-5600g
    $295 on NewEgg

R7 5700G
    8/16T
    Base clock 3.8 GHz
    Boost clock 4.6 GHz
    Ref: https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-7-5700g
    $370 on NewEgg

All other things being equal, it's $75 difference for 2C/4T more.

I would risk the opinion that if bugdet is an important factor, you want to go with the 5600G and redirect the savings to for instance more memory: 32GB or even 64GB.

The only difference IMHO would be the "comfort" running heavy multi-threaded applications:
    - Multi-threaded Java (e.g. Cassandra, Spark, etc).
    - Multi-process / Multi-threaded Web servers.
    - Multi-threaded Python.
    - Multiple VMs.

For office use (or games?) I don't believe you should see a major difference between the 5600G and the 5700G.

Note also that the "G" processors are a little bit slower than their "X" desktop cousins, meaning 5600G < 5600X.

OFF-TOPIC: I happen to use all of the above at the same time, so for my workstation I went with a TR 3960X. Pricey BUT depreciated over projected 10 years of usage, that's nothing. And yes, it is very comfortable.
    Last edited by domih; 27 August 2021, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by domih View Post

Yes, it does. As mentioned in the article <<...The only caveat that I've encountered is the Zen 3 APU temperature monitoring not coming until Linux 5.15...>> CPU temp does not show in the Mate sensor applet and is not available via /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp. Same here.

Otherwise, everything else I tried worked OK so far. Using Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS.
      Oops: forgot the Unigine testing issue, it crashes with the 4750G or 5700G on my B550M board but works AOK on my B450 one with both the 3200 and 3600 memory kits. No clue why and does not happen always at the same time (the so-called "random bug"). What I know is that at some point artifacts start to appear on the screen and a few seconds later the system simply stops with a black screen. Once I even had to fsck the / fs because it got damaged. So my guess is that there is something writing all over the memory where it should not with unpredictable results. I tend to think it is board related.

Comment

R5 5600G
        6C/12T
        Base clock 3.9 GHz
        Boost clock 4.4 GHz
        Ref: https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-5-5600g
        $295 on NewEgg

R7 5700G
        8/16T
        Base clock 3.8 GHz
        Boost clock 4.6 GHz
        Ref: https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-7-5700g
        $370 on NewEgg

All other things being equal, it's $75 difference for 2C/4T more.

I would risk the opinion that if bugdet is an important factor, you want to go with the 5600G and redirect the savings to for instance more memory: 32GB or even 64GB.

The only difference IMHO would be the "comfort" running heavy multi-threaded applications:
        - Multi-threaded Java (e.g. Cassandra, Spark, etc).
        - Multi-process / Multi-threaded Web servers.
        - Multi-threaded Python.
        - Multiple VMs.

For office use (or games?) I don't believe you should see a major difference between the 5600G and the 5700G.

Note also that the "G" processors are a little bit slower than their "X" desktop cousins, meaning 5600G < 5600X.

OFF-TOPIC: I happen to use all of the above at the same time, so for my workstation I went with a TR 3960X. Pricey BUT depreciated over projected 10 years of usage, that's nothing. And yes, it is very comfortable.
        There is more diffrences. Most important one is G series processors have a lot smaller cache and less PCI-E lanes, when i wouldn't worry much about GPU lanes as 8x in gen 4 is definitly enough, I would worry about that cache as it decimates performance in a lot of real world aplications. The processor 5700G is halfway from 3700X to 5700X.

Comment

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post

There is more diffrences. Most important one is G series processors have a lot smaller cache and less PCI-E lanes, when i wouldn't worry much about GPU lanes as 8x in gen 4 is definitly enough, I would worry about that cache as it decimates performance in a lot of real world aplications. The processor 5700G is halfway from 3700X to 5700X.
          Yes, you're 100% right. I was focused on performance comparing 5600G vs 5700G and I forgot the rest. Yes the cache is smaller, they had to make room for the GPU (Quoting myself: <<...Note also that the "G" processors are a little bit slower than their "X" desktop cousins...>>). But in the context of comparing the 5600G and 5700G I assume they have the same amount of cache. Yes, PCIe is gen 3 and not gen 4. The 5000 series brings x16 in PCI Gen 3, so bifurcated or not there are still of lot of Gen 3 cards you can use with them, especially the sweet spot of Gen 3 x8 used by many cards.

I don't have any 5000X at this point, so I can't give you comparative results. Phoronix could do and publish such tests. Please!

I believe Hardware Unboxed on YouTube gives comparative results in their 5000G review but that's on Windows 10 and heavily oriented on games.
          Last edited by domih; 27 August 2021, 03:17 PM.

Comment

I specifically want a "G" processor because I don't want a dedicated graphics card. That's why I'm curious how the benchmarks would look for graphics-related tasks as well. Clearly there can't be much of a difference with the same iGPU in both CPUs, but seeing the overall difference might reveal interesting stuff - hopefully. :P

Comment

Working...
            X