AMD To Optimize C3 Entry On Linux By Finally Skipping The Cache Flush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD To Optimize C3 Entry On Linux By Finally Skipping The Cache Flush

Phoronix: AMD To Optimize C3 Entry On Linux By Finally Skipping The Cache Flush

A minor optimization was posted by an AMD engineer on Wednesday for the Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This sounds like a clear-win optimization. I wonder though how easily it is to benchmark this optimization's effect.

Comment

Why does it feel like this is shit that should have been done half a decade ago. When is AMD building up their linux software team? They want the enterprise money, and yet...

Comment

Originally posted by bezirg View Post
        This sounds like a clear-win optimization. I wonder though how easily it is to benchmark this optimization's effect.
        I think you would need to benchmark single threading application, while the other cores will be alternately busy/idle with some fake load.

Comment

Not likely to change that much.
          But every bit counts. So while late, definitely a good thing.

Comment

In which kernel?

Comment

I tried that optimization at home. Didn't work out as well as I expected. No one appreciated me not flushing my cache and leaving the toilet bowl full.

Comment

Working...
              X