AMD Van Gogh Firmware Published, Other Radeon GPU Firmware Updated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Van Gogh Firmware Published, Other Radeon GPU Firmware Updated

Phoronix: AMD Van Gogh Firmware Published, Other Radeon GPU Firmware Updated

AMD has upstreamed the Van Gogh binary-only firmware files necessary for the RDNA2 graphics to be initialized by the open-source driver on this forthcoming APU.'..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder if we'll get the opposite of those PS4/Xbox leftovers with the iGPUs disabled? A board with a couple of CPU cores disabled but working graphics. I reckon they're bound to have fsck ups on both sides of the die when making them by the billions.

SoCs based on that architecture make sense too. If they're gonna be optimizing and maintaining that platform year after year for consoles it makes sense to use it for all sorts of other consumer and industrial lines.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      I wonder if we'll get the opposite of those PS4/Xbox leftovers with the iGPUs disabled? A board with a couple of CPU cores disabled but working graphics. I reckon they're bound to have fsck ups on both sides of the die when making them by the billions.

SoCs based on that architecture make sense too. If they're gonna be optimizing and maintaining that platform year after year for consoles it makes sense to use it for all sorts of other consumer and industrial lines.
      That 4700S isn't a thing I would be interested, since in my neck of the woods, is more or less the same price as a Zen 3 CPU+mobo+memory.

But a CPU with functional RDNA2 GPU is highly tempting on those times of crazy prices. I'm hanging on a old I7 3770k and praying to Crom for it to last until a good RDNA2 APU get into the market. I decided to ditch AAA gaming and a good APU is sufficient for my needs.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

That 4700S isn't a thing I would be interested, since in my neck of the woods, is more or less the same price as a Zen 3 CPU+mobo+memory.

But a CPU with functional RDNA2 GPU is highly tempting on those times of crazy prices. I'm hanging on a old I7 3770k and praying to Crom for it to last until a good RDNA2 APU get into the market. I decided to ditch AAA gaming and a good APU is sufficient for my needs.
        Same here which is why I'd be more interested in one with a limited CPU and working iGPU.

I have a 4650G and it's good enough for older stuff & emulation at 1080p and newer games around 720p. I play enough AAA games that they aren't fully sufficient for my gaming needs. Nothing AM4 will ever be for me.

When DDR5 motherboards come out AAA 1080p off an APU should totally be a thing and be good enough for everyone except 4K and 144hz+ snobs. I can't wait.

Comment

The 5600g and 5700g finally hit the market and now AMD starts hinting at Van Gogh.

I've been running a 5700g since early May and it's a dandy APU. Since I don't have the "Everything must play at 144 FPS on Ultra" issue, an APU is sufficient for most of my gaming. One game I can't get going is Doom Eternal since the badly crippled UEFI firmware on the HP motherboard won't let me set the RAM allocated to the APU, Doom External pretty much crashes.

Since there isn't much to be gained, performance-wise, by switching to a proper hardware setup (reference: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/am...7-5700g-review) I'll probably hold onto my HP TP01-2066 until Van Gogh arrives. I'll just play Doom Eternal on one of my other machines.

Comment

>AMD's Steam Deck is also powered by a SoC aligning with Van Gogh characteristics.

Not only that, Steam Deck is Van Gogh, it said so in the settings.

Comment

VG brings AV1 decode and I believe some special audio features. . That makes it very interesting for HTPC use. Just need some one to stick it in a small fanless case.

Comment

it seems they have made an exception to their normal behaviour?

AMD generally doesn't publish these binary firmware files until shortly before the hardware launches -- or in some cases, not until days after the hardware is announced/shipping based on various internal factors.
                lets hope this will become history or habit for all future products...

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Yields of AMD's 8-core APUs on TSMC N7 are already very high. Van Gogh yields will be even better. Instead of making a dual-core out of it, how about a 3-core?

Comment

Originally posted by jaxa View Post

Yields of AMD's 8-core APUs on TSMC N7 are already very high. Van Gogh yields will be even better. Instead of making a dual-core out of it, how about a 3-core?

So the CPU equivalent of this?

Comment

Working...
                    X