Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Siuoq View Post
    Also how can I paste links here?
    CTRL+L or the Link button if you enable the advanced editor...the "A" next to

Comment

And when will the eoma68 desktop project be finished. It's been 5 years since ~240k was gathered through crowdsupply.

Comment

Originally posted by libv View Post
        And when will the eoma68 desktop project be finished. It's been 5 years since ~240k was gathered through crowdsupply.
        thank you for asking, the answer is the same as on the last phoronix post where you asked the same question. to repeat the answer: the money is entirely allocated as explained on the (75) updates, which you are aware are here https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68/m...esktop/updates. there's just enough money left to manufacture the units, but not enough to pay me any money for basic living expenses, or to pay me for my time to focus on doing anything further until those units are shipped.

further questions on this are more appropriate for the project's mailing list. you can also volunteer to help with the tasks that need doing.

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
          Ok.... so they gave up making an open source "GPU design" (think a software renderer compiled for a lightly customised Power CPU), and they've given up making a System on a Chip. Now they're doing open source crypto/blockchain hardware?

They're good at pulling in that tax-payers' money!
          They've given up on neither. You want to add more functionality on top? You need to pay for it's development.

Comment

Originally posted by hotaru View Post

s/doing/talking about/

it doesn't look like they've actually done anything yet, and since they already got paid for it they probably never will.
            Despite fabbing a test chip as we speak with much of what they've promised? Plus public repos where you can find the rest that hasn't landed on silicon yet?

In case it escaped your notice, a good chunk of the work to implement the vector extensions for GPU math has been completed and is publicly available. More continues to be regularly added.
            Last edited by Developer12; 12 August 2021, 08:42 PM.

Comment

I swear, every time this project comes up there's a rash of comments accusing them of having don nothing, by people who can't be bothered to navigate to their git repo.

Do these people need to be spoonfed regular blog posts or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post
                I swear, every time this project comes up there's a rash of comments accusing them of having don nothing, by people who can't be bothered to navigate to their git repo.
                i honestly don't understand it either. just doing a quick search "Libre-SOC" and even "Libre-SOC source" it is interesting that http://git.libre-soc.org doesn't even come up (and i went through 15 pages)

i wonder if there's a way to have gitweb put some tag words on it. might have to hack the gitweb source to put a <h1> in it or something.

(edit: yes there is! /etc/gitweb.conf $hometext="indextext.html" thank you for prompting me to investigate that, Developer12)
                Last edited by lkcl; 17 August 2021, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lkcl View Post

thank you for asking, the answer is the same as on the last phoronix post where you asked the same question. to repeat the answer: the money is entirely allocated as explained on the (75) updates, which you are aware are here https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68/m...esktop/updates. there's just enough money left to manufacture the units, but not enough to pay me any money for basic living expenses, or to pay me for my time to focus on doing anything further until those units are shipped.

further questions on this are more appropriate for the project's mailing list. you can also volunteer to help with the tasks that need doing.
                  Between my work on lima, linux-sunxi and actually ordering a kit from this crowdfunding campaign, i think i personally have done more than most of your other backers, and more than enough to make this thing happen.

But thanks for acknowledging that you have run out of funds to support yourself with the eoma86 project, and that you are no longer as invested in it. Too bad that supporting yourself with the eoma68 was not your stated intention with this crowdfunding campaign. Seems like you should have started a patreon or gofundme campaign instead. And unlike earlier in the decade, in 2016 this was already a viable option.

Comment

Originally posted by libv View Post

Between my work on lima, linux-sunxi and actually ordering a kit from this crowdfunding campaign, i think i personally have done more than most of your other backers, and more than enough to make this thing happen.
                    again, to reiterate (third time): this is not an appropriate thread for this particular discussion: the EOMA68 mailing list is an appropriate location for this particular discussion.

i do appreciate your personal backing of the project, as with everyone. unfortunately, as you are aware from having read all of the 75 updates, it simply hasn't been enough to cover the unknown and unknowable issues that arose. this was simply not something that could have been predicted.

now, the "normal" situation here would be to raise VC Capital. however given that EOMA68 is a Certification Mark, as you are keenly aware with the Intel Compute Card Initiative, letting VCs and Corporate interests take control of a Certification Mark would be a suicidally terminal idea to the entire concept.

But thanks for acknowledging that you have run out of funds to support yourself with the eoma86 project,
                    there's not enough funds to pay my personal income in order for me to focus on it full-time, that's all. any further funds subtracted as personal income destroy *any* opportunity for getting people what they backed. would you like that to happen? would you prefer that i take so much money from backers in personal basic bare minimum living expenses, so that nobody can receive anything *at all*?

however once the items *are* tested and sent out, there is additional funds unlocked in 2nd batch pledges.

and that you are no longer as invested in it. Too bad that supporting yourself with the eoma68 was not your stated intention with this crowdfunding campaign.
                    that's an incorrect assumption. again, this is a really completely inappropriate a forum and thread for this discussion, please can you in future ask these questions on the EOMA68 mailing list.

the intention was always for me to focus full-time on EOMA68. however as stated in the 75 updates the number of unknown and unknowable issues that arose and emerged over time began to reduce the amount of available funds for paying my personal and full-time living expenses.

which i kept to far below normal standard of living for someone with the kind of skillset that you and i both have.

Seems like you should have started a patreon or gofundme campaign instead.
                    neither of those are Libre-respecting, and with EOMA68 being a project that is primarily Libre and Privacy-respecting in nature it would be completely inappropriate for me to utilise resources that are well-known for being incompatible with those exact same principles. Crowdsupply is. i do have a liberapay account: it receives GBP 5.38 per month. this is 300x less than what's needed for me to work on EOMA68 fulltime. someone kindly donated 0.8 BTC, i sent it to Chris of Thinkpenguin for him to do the testing.

can we please continue this discussion on the appropriate and relevant forum? feel free to do so and send a link to the discussion so that the discussion can continue in an appropriate location where people are interested in EOMA68, and not on a thread that is related and dedicated to Research and Development into Draft Cryptographic Primitives for the OpenPOWER ISA
                    Last edited by lkcl; 19 August 2021, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X