Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loongson 3A5000 Benchmarks For These New Chinese CPUs Built On The LoongArch ISA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aer4af
    replied
    Originally posted by leo_sk View Post

i would prefer to not make this discussion in this forum too political, so it will be my last comment. I am referring to their multiple acts such as Tibetan invasion and their cultural destruction, Uighar cultural destruction at similar lines, multiple aggressions on Bhutan, Hong Kong debacle, and whole mess in South China sea. There are many more of their underhanded measures, such as funding of terrorist organisations against India, destabilizing democratic govts in Nepal and Myanmar and so on. Also i doubt there is any other major economy, USA included, that engages in citizen surveillance to the extent china does, with complete control over every social platform so that any criticism of CCP is never tolerated. These also enable systems such as their social credit system. I think there are so many multiple red flags, any sane person who values his freedom would be wary of them

. I am referring to their multiple acts such as Tibetan invasion and their cultural destruction, Uighar cultural destruction at similar lines, multiple aggressions on Bhutan, Hong Kong debacle, and whole mess in South China sea
    But you failed to mention the terrors that happened there in circa 2013. Stabbing, bombings are happening in that region. China in response did just that, prevent extremism. In what way they are doing this, is your own interpretation, genocide? You bet. I have yet to see photos of Uighur refugees escaping to neighboring countries and the borders are vast. Few media misleading articles, satellite photographs, doesn't cut it. Even Hitler's Europe in WW2 have a ton of photographic evidence people escaping.

How would you react if in your country, protesters are violent and is bringing with them Chinese and Russian flags? That's what happened in HK, British and American flags used by protesters who will beat anyone on the street that disagrees with them. China's security law? Accordingly, you will also use your own laws to suppress violent protesters.

There are many more of their underhanded measures, such as funding of terrorist organisations against India, destabilizing democratic govts in Nepal and Myanmar and so on. Also i doubt there is any other major economy, USA included, that engages in citizen surveillance to the extent china does, with complete control over every social platform so that any criticism of CCP is never tolerated.
    Any sources about this? I am not pro China, never been, more on this below. Anyway, USA has planted surveillance even against their own allies.

These also enable systems such as their social credit system. I think there are so many multiple red flags, any sane person who values his freedom would be wary of them
    You mean freedom and democracy in Libya, Iraq and Syria? China is everywhere in Africa building infrastructure, how is freedom and democracy doing in that continent except from the hands of US and Europe?

Only one thing I agree with you, South China Sea. I am from the Philippines, and China has no right to step over other nations EEZ. The rest of your comments typically a western brainwashed by their own government or by your media. This is ironic.

Leave a comment:

• aer4af
    replied
    Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    How so? ARM has been around for a while, and is becoming increasingly popular. Acorn PC's with ARM chips were the standard in British schools in the late 80's, much like the Apple II was in US schools.

.... The CCP's communist ideology pressures them to reduce reliance on Western goods, and the past 25 years of unbalanced trade has netted them a mountain of cash to spend. Plus they have a large enough population to enable volume production for exclusively domestic China consumption. It is this unique position that motivates them, so I would not expect others to be joining the CPU fray any time soon.
    Disclaimer: I am not Chinese, I will refute this statement of ignorance from a neutral's perspective.

The US has barred China access to CPUs to prevent China from building HPCs. So China was forced to develop a CPU to create a supercomputer. China was barred from participating in the ISS so they created their own Space Station. China's Huawei and other Chinese companies are also barred from acquiring US technologies.

Now you are saying, it is the CCP's ideology to become technologically independent?

Leave a comment:

• sdack
    replied
    Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
    And this is done deliberately since Swiss is neutral
    The neutrality of Switzerland has only symbolic value. Take the recent example of Russia forcing a plane to land all because of a journalist. Countries and their intelligence organisations are happy to fuck with the lifes of others, to bribe them, threaten them or worse, when they can get a significant advantage from it.

If the board of directors were to decide to change the licensing model for future designs then it would put all investments and developments at risk. Such changes can always happen and have happened before. To think RISC-V had a major advantage, because it is currently free of charge is not as big as you may think. That it is currently free of charge may only be to get companies invested in RISC-V and once it takes off is it likely that some form of tribute needs to be made to keep it all running.

Having their own developments is a big advantage for countries, even if it is just for pride. If this means for China that it keeps their people's desire for democracy in check then it will have a significant value to the CCP.
    Last edited by sdack; 25 July 2021, 08:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• blackiwid
    replied
    1. Does or did China some things that are "bad" sure... that's not the question, because USA, Europe and Russia and most other regions/countries did something bad. Therefor the question is did they do more bad than the other players? Especially the ones that attack them hardest and most (the US)? And there the answer is clear no they didn't.

What they did to Tibet without knowing all details (I admit) is comparable to what the US did with the cuba crisis, and the many attacks on Fidel Castro by the CIA. Assuming that the last selected leader of them was killed, it happend under a different leadership, so we don't know what they would do today looking at what they did to the urygurs they probably would just reeducate him instead of killing him. But again comparable to cuba. Except they as far as I know never did attack them with military or starve them from imports and food. Most victims are probably monks that burn themself out of protest.

Well I don't say it's good what they did there and do, but again every big super power does some questionable things, especially in their close range influence scene. The US nonstop murders and attacks south american countries and sends hitmans to their elected leaders.

But the bad thing they do is way more limited to their territory and they are not this horrible people that dominate all countries and have bases everywhere and nonstop bomb foreign country without any moral right.

Alone the around 1mio people died in Irak and another thing as far as I know china don't send weapons to terrorists like the US does with ISIS in Syria to steal their oil.

Again pointing out that they do sometimes bad things is irrelevant especially you americans must proof that they do worse stuff than the US did, except you are a racist exceptionalist... and you just can't the US dominates in murdering innocent people and doing evil stuff. It's not even close. Wake me up again if the Chinese military as half as powerful as the US military...

2. about the processor, the point is that they are free, arm is not really free, you need blobs to boot it or blobs to start the gpus or am I wrong? And even if not Nvidia could control it soon and they are evil to the core... I don't trust them at all. I am not into processor hardware so I am not sure for the details but it had a reason RMS used one of their chips and not a arm notebook, right?

So that said even the processor power mentioned in that benchmark can be plenty assuming power consumption and price is good, I still use a netbook with old atom processor... even that is enough for most tasks, if you have a good setup.

Leave a comment:

• Spacefish
    replied
    China is heavily investing in RISC-V aswell as in LoongSon/Longarch..
    In the microcontroller market RISC-V is starting to pick up, look at the Hi3861V100 for example which is a chip that ships today and is used in products already.
    Furthermore they even have High Performance RISC-V cores under development, one such example is XiangShan : https://github.com/OpenXiangShan/XiangShan which at least in simulations will perform in the ARM-Cortex A76 area.

China is furthermore investing in chip production, there was a big consortium formed ~3 month ago to push in-country chip manufacturing and improve technology.

Yes they copy a lot / just rebrand open source projects at least on the software side, but the iteration cycles of development are just that much faster than in US or Europe, as they are not hindered by all the big company bureaucracy..

Look at HiSilicons (Huaweis) RF Chips for 5G or 802.11ax (WiFi 6). They are better than the Qualcom or Broadcom ones and they are way cheaper.
    That´s probably one reason why US and Europe banned them from being used in mobile networks / banned huawei from using Google Play Services and so on.
    In the end this is protectionism, which will work in the short-term but long term this won´t work out for USA / EU, as the rest of the world will have access to better technology for cheaper.

Leave a comment:

• mdedetrich
    replied
    Originally posted by sdack View Post
    It is in control of RISC-V International, a Swiss organisation.
    And this is done deliberately since Swiss is neutral (and has a history to back it up). Thats the whole reason why its set up in Switzerland rather than the US or an EU country, nice job in missing the whole point.

Honestly I have no idea what you are going on about now, originally you were incorrectly whining about licensing issues and now you are going on about RISC-5 organization (not the ISA itself!) is centered in Swiss as a non political non profit?

I mean duh, RISC-5 is not in China (which is actually a good thing btw, even for Chinese chip manufactures) but I have no idea why you are bringing up "control" or what you mean by that. Of course LooongArch can do w/e the fuk they want in regards to writing their own ISA, but avoiding licensing issues is not one of those reasons why they should do that because there is no licensing issues with RISC-5 (thats why its so popular in China).
    Last edited by mdedetrich; 25 July 2021, 06:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• sdack
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    How is RISC-V not in China's control?
    It is in control of RISC-V International, a Swiss organisation.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by sdack View Post
    No. Besides being new is RISC-V out of China's control. Why would a sovereign body want to leave the control with a random group of directors?

Take yourself as an example and ask yourself how happy you are with China's decision. Obviously not at all, but you have your own idea on what China should and should not do, but it is out of your control. So you should at least understand what it means when something is out of your control.

On October 29th 2020 SiFive announced the first-ever RISC-V Linux development platform with a PC form factor, the HiFive Unmatched.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Comput....552002.0.html

I am, like Vistaus, puzzled at how you arrive at your conclusions. On one hand do you want China to use RISC-V, saying it was a great choice, but then you cannot even imagine RISC-V being used for more than micro controllers.
    How is RISC-V not in China's control?
    With x86 and ARM they need a license and the U.S. government can pressure companies to license something to some foreign company. RISC-V is free, open and royalty-free, it doesn't need any license, so China is free to implement RISC-V if they want, and nobody can say anything about it or do anything about it.
    In a trade war or if China would get sanctioned, China cannot be refused RISC-V because.
    China want to create some extension to the architecture? They can do that.

Yeah, personally I would love to see RISC-V on desktops, laptops, tablets and phones. That would be amazing!
    I just don't think it will happen, because companies have no interest in that, they're primary objective with RISC-V is reduce costs by avoid licensing fees.

Now Si-Five might have their Unleashed board, which is pretty impressive and cool thing they have accomplished, but it cannot compete. The thing is expensive, and weak in performance. It is a desktop board that has the performance of a several year old ARM SoC for phones.
    Against a x86 desktop board it is expensive and low performance.
    Against a ARM mobile SoC it is expensive, low performance and lacks GPU, audio, 5G, DSP, ISP, AI, eMMC, UFS.

I really would love to RISC-V compete seriously with ARM and Intel x86, but ultimate I think it wont, I think it will just be used by companies to cut costs.

Leave a comment:

• onlyLinuxLuvUBack
    replied
    Loongson... couldn't you hire at least 1 american to help you go over the brand name to cut down on the jokes and so that people would take your product serious.
    I guess strongARM has a negative big brother ring.
    I would have went with TurboDragon.

Leave a comment:

• sdack
    replied
    Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
    Thats hilarious ...
    Thank you. I myself thought it was a good reply to your "Yes and?" troll.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X