Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loongson 3A5000 Benchmarks For These New Chinese CPUs Built On The LoongArch ISA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. Does or did China some things that are "bad" sure... that's not the question, because USA, Europe and Russia and most other regions/countries did something bad. Therefor the question is did they do more bad than the other players? Especially the ones that attack them hardest and most (the US)? And there the answer is clear no they didn't.

What they did to Tibet without knowing all details (I admit) is comparable to what the US did with the cuba crisis, and the many attacks on Fidel Castro by the CIA. Assuming that the last selected leader of them was killed, it happend under a different leadership, so we don't know what they would do today looking at what they did to the urygurs they probably would just reeducate him instead of killing him. But again comparable to cuba. Except they as far as I know never did attack them with military or starve them from imports and food. Most victims are probably monks that burn themself out of protest.

Well I don't say it's good what they did there and do, but again every big super power does some questionable things, especially in their close range influence scene. The US nonstop murders and attacks south american countries and sends hitmans to their elected leaders.

But the bad thing they do is way more limited to their territory and they are not this horrible people that dominate all countries and have bases everywhere and nonstop bomb foreign country without any moral right.

Alone the around 1mio people died in Irak and another thing as far as I know china don't send weapons to terrorists like the US does with ISIS in Syria to steal their oil.

Again pointing out that they do sometimes bad things is irrelevant especially you americans must proof that they do worse stuff than the US did, except you are a racist exceptionalist... and you just can't the US dominates in murdering innocent people and doing evil stuff. It's not even close. Wake me up again if the Chinese military as half as powerful as the US military...

2. about the processor, the point is that they are free, arm is not really free, you need blobs to boot it or blobs to start the gpus or am I wrong? And even if not Nvidia could control it soon and they are evil to the core... I don't trust them at all. I am not into processor hardware so I am not sure for the details but it had a reason RMS used one of their chips and not a arm notebook, right?

So that said even the processor power mentioned in that benchmark can be plenty assuming power consumption and price is good, I still use a netbook with old atom processor... even that is enough for most tasks, if you have a good setup.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
      And this is done deliberately since Swiss is neutral
      The neutrality of Switzerland has only symbolic value. Take the recent example of Russia forcing a plane to land all because of a journalist. Countries and their intelligence organisations are happy to fuck with the lifes of others, to bribe them, threaten them or worse, when they can get a significant advantage from it.

If the board of directors were to decide to change the licensing model for future designs then it would put all investments and developments at risk. Such changes can always happen and have happened before. To think RISC-V had a major advantage, because it is currently free of charge is not as big as you may think. That it is currently free of charge may only be to get companies invested in RISC-V and once it takes off is it likely that some form of tribute needs to be made to keep it all running.

Having their own developments is a big advantage for countries, even if it is just for pride. If this means for China that it keeps their people's desire for democracy in check then it will have a significant value to the CCP.
      Last edited by sdack; 25 July 2021, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
        How so? ARM has been around for a while, and is becoming increasingly popular. Acorn PC's with ARM chips were the standard in British schools in the late 80's, much like the Apple II was in US schools.

.... The CCP's communist ideology pressures them to reduce reliance on Western goods, and the past 25 years of unbalanced trade has netted them a mountain of cash to spend. Plus they have a large enough population to enable volume production for exclusively domestic China consumption. It is this unique position that motivates them, so I would not expect others to be joining the CPU fray any time soon.
        Disclaimer: I am not Chinese, I will refute this statement of ignorance from a neutral's perspective.

The US has barred China access to CPUs to prevent China from building HPCs. So China was forced to develop a CPU to create a supercomputer. China was barred from participating in the ISS so they created their own Space Station. China's Huawei and other Chinese companies are also barred from acquiring US technologies.

Now you are saying, it is the CCP's ideology to become technologically independent?

Comment

Originally posted by leo_sk View Post

i would prefer to not make this discussion in this forum too political, so it will be my last comment. I am referring to their multiple acts such as Tibetan invasion and their cultural destruction, Uighar cultural destruction at similar lines, multiple aggressions on Bhutan, Hong Kong debacle, and whole mess in South China sea. There are many more of their underhanded measures, such as funding of terrorist organisations against India, destabilizing democratic govts in Nepal and Myanmar and so on. Also i doubt there is any other major economy, USA included, that engages in citizen surveillance to the extent china does, with complete control over every social platform so that any criticism of CCP is never tolerated. These also enable systems such as their social credit system. I think there are so many multiple red flags, any sane person who values his freedom would be wary of them

. I am referring to their multiple acts such as Tibetan invasion and their cultural destruction, Uighar cultural destruction at similar lines, multiple aggressions on Bhutan, Hong Kong debacle, and whole mess in South China sea
          But you failed to mention the terrors that happened there in circa 2013. Stabbing, bombings are happening in that region. China in response did just that, prevent extremism. In what way they are doing this, is your own interpretation, genocide? You bet. I have yet to see photos of Uighur refugees escaping to neighboring countries and the borders are vast. Few media misleading articles, satellite photographs, doesn't cut it. Even Hitler's Europe in WW2 have a ton of photographic evidence people escaping.

How would you react if in your country, protesters are violent and is bringing with them Chinese and Russian flags? That's what happened in HK, British and American flags used by protesters who will beat anyone on the street that disagrees with them. China's security law? Accordingly, you will also use your own laws to suppress violent protesters.

There are many more of their underhanded measures, such as funding of terrorist organisations against India, destabilizing democratic govts in Nepal and Myanmar and so on. Also i doubt there is any other major economy, USA included, that engages in citizen surveillance to the extent china does, with complete control over every social platform so that any criticism of CCP is never tolerated.
          Any sources about this? I am not pro China, never been, more on this below. Anyway, USA has planted surveillance even against their own allies.

These also enable systems such as their social credit system. I think there are so many multiple red flags, any sane person who values his freedom would be wary of them
          You mean freedom and democracy in Libya, Iraq and Syria? China is everywhere in Africa building infrastructure, how is freedom and democracy doing in that continent except from the hands of US and Europe?

Only one thing I agree with you, South China Sea. I am from the Philippines, and China has no right to step over other nations EEZ. The rest of your comments typically a western brainwashed by their own government or by your media. This is ironic.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
            If this means for China that it keeps their people's desire for democracy in check then it will have a significant value to the CCP.
            You clearly don't know the Chinese.

They do not want American and Western democrazy. Only the Americans and Westerners interpret 'democracy' as voting.

In China, there is no voting yet the CPC cadres are beholden to the people they are sworn to serve.

When China prepares its Five Year plans, there is a very lengthy feedback period open to all citizens, who are strongly encouraged to share their views and opinions on how the country should move forward. This collection of public opinion has an influence on the CPC's decision making on the country's direction. This is why there is usually very broad support support by the masses for most policies implemented by the CPC.

When the Chinese protest, the authorities are obligated to quickly respond and address the source of their grievances, otherwise they are very likely to be dismissed from office. What the Western fake news machine never reports is that there are many small scale protests going on in China frequently but they are quickly resolved by having a representative from the protesters meet directly with the chain of authority to work out a compromise. What do you think was the trigger for the recent crackdown on Big Tech and monopolies in China?

Even without voting, China is a heck lot more democratic than most so-called liberal democracies.
            Last edited by Sonadow; 25 July 2021, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Having their own developments is a big advantage for countries, even if it is just for pride. If this means for China that it keeps their people's desire for democracy in check then it will have a significant value to the CCP.
              1. It's not about pride but independence.

2. What exactly you define as "a democracy" ? Some mythical, Atlantis-style system ?
              Can you point me to ONE good, real life example of western "democracy" ?

Take USA, for example. Can you point me to one significant example of its 300M+ citizens EVER "democratising" some of their problems away ?
              When has an average American EVER really get to decide about anything ?
              Whever anyone appeared with true change in mind, s/he was sidelined or killed.

Comment

RISC-V then still needs to prove itself and there is not much RISC-V on the mass market yet
                There's nothing to prove.

Technically RISC-V is a very conventional RISC, similar to MIPS and Arm64. Put the money in and it can do anything they can -- including M1-level and higher.

Non-technical, RISC-V has the business model, the buzz, the momentum, and investment is coming.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Nobody is going to use RISC-V as the CPU in a desktop, laptop, tablet or phone. Nobody is going to make a RISC-V based SoC on 5 nm with Wi-Fi 6E, Bluetooth 5.2, Gigabit Ethernet, NFC, USB 3.2 and 5G modem and AI accelerator.
                  Nobody? That's a mighty big claim. How is it you know the business plans of every RISC-V International member?

Comment

While this is certainly true is the problem not in what China does, but in people who look to China for answers. In Europe has the UK broken away, because we want our control back and not be controlled by the European technocracy, and in the US are people voting for rulers who undermine their democracy. We need to work on our democracies. If we keep looking towards China and then see how they for example build top-ranking super computers from our old designs or who just put a rover on Mars like this was easy, then it triggers in people a desire to become like China, or that it was ok to boldly neglect the human rights of entire cultures on the idea that we would drop bombs on them sooner or later anyway, which is really just a dangerous mindset.
                    Your democracies, we both know that is A joke.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                      Now Si-Five might have their Unleashed board, which is pretty impressive and cool thing they have accomplished, but it cannot compete. The thing is expensive, and weak in performance. It is a desktop board that has the performance of a several year old ARM SoC for phones.
                      Against a x86 desktop board it is expensive and low performance.
                      Against a ARM mobile SoC it is expensive, low performance and lacks GPU, audio, 5G, DSP, ISP, AI, eMMC, UFS.
                      Perhaps you mean the Unmatched. The Unleashed is 3.5 years old.

No one thinks the Unmatched competes, least of all SiFive. It doesn't exist to compete. It exists to enable the software ecosystem to develop, in preparation for the chips and boards coming next year and the year after and the year after that which *do* compete. But not if they don't have software.

The Unmatched has a CPU that is comparable to an Atom, or something between a late Pentium III or PowerPC G4 and an early Core2. BUT it has much better I/O than any of those, with the modern GPU card of your choice, the latest NVMe SSD, 16 GB of DDR4 etc. And it has four cores, not one or two like all those.

It doesn't compete with the latest *Lake or Zen, of course, but I've spent more than half of my life using machines a lot less powerful and pleasant than the Unmatched.

Comment

Working...
                      X