Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loongson 3A5000 Benchmarks For These New Chinese CPUs Built On The LoongArch ISA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sdack View Post
    RISC-V then still needs to prove itself and there is not much RISC-V on the mass market yet, but it has to compete against x86 and Arm first. However, Loongson is said to have copied much from x86 and Arm, but avoids licensing problems. So while China is making their own experience do they copy from what has already proven itself many times over.
    TBH RISC-V (at least if you compare it to MIPS or the apparently MIPS like LooongArch) has already proven itself. At least if we are talking about micro-controllers (which is the only niche that MIPS has nowadays, if any), its already taken the industry by storm. Lots of companies behind the scenes have started migrating to RISC-V.

I mean MIPS usage has dropped so much that address randomization security feature in the Linux kernel which was implemented like a decade ago people only just realized it wasn't working properly somewhat recently.

I also have no idea why you are comparing MIPS/RISC-5 to x86, they are completely different markets. One is primarily for micrcontrollers/embedded and the other is for desktop PC's. Furthermore you are talking about licensing issues but conveniently ignore all of the x86/ARM licensing problems and forget that RISC-5 is patent free and has no licensing qualms.

No idea what you are trying to argue here tbh...

Comment

BTW, I use LoongArch

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
        I also have no idea why ...

No idea what you are trying to argue here tbh...
        No idea? Try asking Google!

It is because you did not follow the discussion. It was uid313 who argued it was foolish of China not to jump onto RISC-V. I merely explained what Loongson copies from.

It is nonsense of you to believe RISC-V could not compete with the desktop market by the way. We are already seeing RISC-V workstations and we are seeing Arm desktops, too. More is on its way. There is no technical reason why it could not compete. There is only not a lot of support, but rather a lot of politics at play.

Anyhow, seeing how the thread has been evolving is there really just one thing I can add here: British tech rules!
        Last edited by sdack; 24 July 2021, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by leo_sk View Post
          Although I would love to see diversity in CPU space, anything coming from China that makes them more independent from American tech is just going to embolden them further
          Is that a good or a bad thing from your perspective?
          i mean, for us Europeans, it doesn't really matter if it comes from China or America. There's nothing wrong if the balance shifts. Actually, it already shifted. Xiaomi is now a bigger player than Apple on the phone sales front (by volume). And most brands are Chinese.
          Are you just being nationalist or is there some kind of deeper thought to the matter?

That's actually my point. Today this CPU is slow and down the rankings, tomorrow it's a serious contender like Xiaomi, now the second phone vendor in the world. Don't laugh at the current performance, they improve really fast.

Comment

I thought they are Phoronix Test Suite benchmarks, though? Another linguistic baboonery in the title?

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
              Is that a good or a bad thing from your perspective?
              i mean, for us Europeans, it doesn't really matter if it comes from China or America. There's nothing wrong if the balance shifts. Actually, it already shifted. Xiaomi is now a bigger player than Apple on the phone sales front (by volume). And most brands are Chinese.
              Are you just being nationalist or is there some kind of deeper thought to the matter?
              Enabling communism is never a good thing, regardless of which side of the pond you live on.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                Enabling communism is never a good thing, regardless of which side of the pond you live on.
                WTF are you talking about ?
                China is far more "free market" than USA for quite some time.

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post

WTF are you talking about ?
                  China is far more "free market" than USA for quite some time.
                  I think torsionbar28 is using "communism" as a label for Chinese-style totalitarianism, not as the opposite of "capitalism", no matter what "capitalism" and "free market" mean to you. Vietnam is still ruled by a Communist Party, but nobody worry about Vietnam.

Comment

Originally posted by billyswong View Post

I think torsionbar28 is using "communism" as a label for Chinese-style totalitarianism, not as the opposite of "capitalism", no matter what "capitalism" and "free market" mean to you. Vietnam is still ruled by a Communist Party, but nobody worry about Vietnam.
                    What does "totalitarianism" even mean ?
                    Having record growth year over year for so long ?
                    Not faking election cycle with rotating puppets ?
                    Totally not having Walking Dead as president ?
                    Or something else ?

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X