Intel Reported To Be Looking At Acquiring GlobalFoundries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
    I admit I was pretty shocked when AMD sold off their foundries. Not sure how well an acquisition by Intel will fly with the various regulators, but I'm not a multi-national corporation with connections everywhere, sooo...
    I don't think the regulators give two shits about anything currently. The amount of "vertical integration" is staggering these days. This image explains it pretty well.

Comment

What the...? Intel needs to be snapped back hard and immediately. They were already needing to be legally banned from booking space at competing fabs, simply buying out the capacity AMD and Nvidia, and to some extent Apple need to compete with them. Now they want to purchase competing fabs outright? Hell no. We need Global Foundries to get off their butt and compete again as a player in the industry, even if they remain one or two nodes behind, instead of giving up and fading, and the market and its customers need the fabs to be independent instead of further consolidated. I also see that Intel does not need a $50B investment from the US government for new fabs, since they have this kind of cash to use on anticompetitive moves.

Also, Gelsinger has been at Intel long enough to demonstrate what kind of leader he wants to be, and all he has shown is the same kind of underhanded garbage Intel has engaged in since the 80s. Switching marketing pukes for an engineer at the top has not improved their attitude towards the rest of the world one bit.

How about instead of Intel buying Global Foundries, governments sever Intel's product development and fabrication components completely? That would seem to be much more helpful.

Comment

It kind of strikes me like when Sears bought Kmart here in the U.S.. But I hope this is blocked.
        Last edited by bobm4567; 15 July 2021, 11:32 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Originally posted by bobm4567 View Post
          It kind of strikes me like when Sears bought Kmart here in the U.S.. But I hope this is blocked.
          Well, I guess the old name change was successful, as you seem to think it was Sears that bought Kmart.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
            So they can't make a good product so they're just trying to buy everyone out instead?
            Yeah, that always works out so well.
            It does if you've got the money to do it - and Intel does.

The important part is that they DON'T have the money to buy TSMC (and to buy off all the politicians needed globally to let a deal like that go through), so it basically "doesn't matter" for at least another 4-5 years anyway.

Comment

This strikes me as a way for Intel to simply purchase a customer list, given their new plans to offer their own fabs to clients.

They can spend the next few years talking to everyone who uses GloFo about how much better their chips would be if they moved over to Intel's own fabs. Otherwise I think it'll be a lot tougher sell for them to get any clients of their own.

Comment

Originally posted by Chugworth View Post
                Well one big advantage of Intel is that they have their own fabs. I was a long time fan of AMD, but I was quite disappointed when they split away from their fab. Now days we're way to dependent on Taiwan for chips. Just look a the chip shortage we're dealing with now. And Taiwan is in an unstable situation with China, so that creates the potential for things to get much uglier.
                It's a liability... if your node fails you fail.

AMD go rid of thier fabs to be more agile... also the disvested of thier fab they didn't split from them at all in fact they still buy a buttload of silicon from GF.

Also AMD isnt' dependant on any one fab... they use what is fastest, if that was Samsug they'd use them, if it was GF they'd use them... in this case it is TSMC, and thier fab flexiblity has allowed them to acutally spread the burden of manufacturing various silicon dies across more than one company... every Ryzen desktop CPU is made at 2 fabs minimum one for the IO die and one for the cores.

Intel buying Global Foundries would be an anti competitive measure against AMD one of GFs biggest customers.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I don't think the regulators give two shits about anything currently. The amount of "vertical integration" is staggering these days. This image explains it pretty well.

why finally flanders is cool ?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                    Hence my mention of multi-national corporations, to whom laws seem to be almost optional, or re-written at their beck and call, which is basically the same thing.

Comment

I wonder how people compare such an acquisition by Intel with Nvidia wanting to acquire Arm. Do people have similar concerns as to how it might affect other businesses?

Comment

Working...
                      X