Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More OpenRISC LiteX Drivers Expected To Be Upstreamed In Linux

Phoronix: More OpenRISC LiteX Drivers Expected To Be Upstreamed In Linux

While RISC-V secures much of the spotlight these days when it comes to open-source processor instruction set architectures, OpenRISC is still moving along and soon should see more OpenRISC LiteX drivers upstreamed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I find this very uninteresting, the OpenRISC project should just merge with the RISC-V project instead so more manpower can be focused on one common goal. It is better to go with RISC-V beacuse I assume it has a much better toolchain support and ecosystem, it has wider industry support and adoption.

I don't think it is a good idea to keep pursuing OpenRISC as a separate project. It has the same goal as RISC-V but the momentum is with RISC-V.

Comment

I think that OpenRISC may have a license that says all derivative works must be open hardware as well. I could be completely wrong in that. But I think that the OpenRISC guys don't much care for RISC-V proprietary extensions...

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        the OpenRISC project should just merge with the RISC-V project instead so more manpower can be focused on one common goal. It is better to go with RISC-V beacuse I assume it has a much better toolchain support and ecosystem, it has wider industry support and adoption.
        I understand the sentiment, but imagine telling all the BSD developers to stop what they're doing and move over to Linux development?

There should be room for more than one open ISA project. And don't worry about RISC-V, I think it hit critical mass years ago. Even MIPS is switching over!

Maybe OpenRISC can pioneer in some areas that RISC-V dismissed and prove them out. I doubt there's nothing to be gained by its existence.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          I find this very uninteresting, the OpenRISC project should just merge with the RISC-V project instead so more manpower can be focused on one common goal. It is better to go with RISC-V beacuse I assume it has a much better toolchain support and ecosystem, it has wider industry support and adoption.

I don't think it is a good idea to keep pursuing OpenRISC as a separate project. It has the same goal as RISC-V but the momentum is with RISC-V.
          Relax buddy "In the following patchset I will add a new mor1kx-based (OpenRISC) platform that uses this device. Later I plan to extend this platform by adding support for more devices from LiteX suite." https://lwn.net/Articles/832286/

Also the openCores/OpenRISC project in general has a lot of useful IP outside the core to help build more open SoC's or periphial devices in general. Wishbone is basically the only open cor BUS available and ready to go. Litex currently support 2 different risc-v cores, and more will likely follow. I'm just assuming mor1kx is the most stable or most familiar to the patch author.

And if Litex is a popular enough platform, Microwatt and LEON3 could be added. This isn't locked into any particular ISA or core.

Comment

Working...
          X