No announcement yet.

AMD EPYC Milan Performance Across 11 Different 2021 Linux Distributions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It makes me smile when I see Clear Linux is the best overall on AMD processors. You know, Intel Clear Linux pwns on AMD . STH has similar results on other non-AMD processors.

Comment

Originally posted by hoohoo View Post
      It makes me smile when I see Clear Linux is the best overall on AMD processors. You know, Intel Clear Linux pwns on AMD . STH has similar results on other non-AMD processors.
      True but it is nowhere near as dominant as we have seen in the past (I think mainly on Intel systems).

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
        Is it just me, or lately it seems Ubuntu is always the slowest in these benchmarks? Really wonder why other distributions consistently outperform it.
        In these server-type benchmarks where computational performance is king & latency just an afterthought, "transparent_hugepages=always" always (see what I did here?) will come out on top of the upstream default of "madvise".

Comment

Now that PopOS 21.04 is out ...just a day after this benchmark. It would have been nice to see if system76 guys are saving hirsute with their special sauce.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

It has nothing common with bloat. They often make stupid decisions. Previously they chose IO scheduler not suited for desktops.
            I didn't say that it did have anything in common... but it's still true.

Comment

I would switch to Clear Linux in a heartbeat if the packaging system wasn't so f*cked up. The bundles concept is just awful. I have a server running Centos. No one has improved the Redhat packaging method. I tried clear on my laptop (virtual) and it is neat and tight but still unmanageable. Your mileage may vary.

Comment

Originally posted by DCHart View Post
                I would switch to Clear Linux in a heartbeat if the packaging system wasn't so f*cked up. The bundles concept is just awful. I have a server running Centos. No one has improved the Redhat packaging method. I tried clear on my laptop (virtual) and it is neat and tight but still unmanageable. Your mileage may vary.
                Speaking as a past user of Slackware, Suse, RH, and Debian & Ubuntu I do think the Clear Linux packaging system takes some getting used to. However if you are managing a fleet of servers and have several classes of server to support then it should work well. I would not bother to learn it just for one or two machines. Clear, to me, is a server operator's operating system.

Comment

Working...
                X