Noctua Launches NH-P1 As High-End Passive CPU Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by microcode View Post

If you know how effective heatpipes are, you know that If you had a problem with this cooler, it has nothing to do with thermal density.
    ​​​​​Effective heatpipes will not magically cause heatsink to lose temperature in enclosement of computer case. AFAIK higher thermal density means heatsink needs to dissipate quicker before throttling happens. Yes heatpipes are quick but the argument is not heatpipes vs other method (in ex water) but passive vs active because this heatsink is claimed in article to be enough for high end chips, which I doubt given how quick modern high thermal density chips heat up and how their boost behaviour works. Or maybe density doesn't matter on average.
    I'm sure it will be great when combined with any fan.
    Last edited by reavertm; 16 June 2021, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by reavertm View Post

I don't need encouragement for using air coolers. I've used them exclusively, specifically for reasons you mentioned. I only voice my doubt that passive heatsink will be sufficient to dissipate heat from thermally dense high TDP chips (what article alludes) before they reach their thermal throttling limits. With higher thermal density of heat source it is vital to dissipate heat fast and continuously, which passive heatsink can have trouble doing in confined space of typical computer case. GamersNexus will test it eventually.
      You don't have to wait for GamerNexus, because Noctua benchmarks and publishesh data for all their coolers:
      Designed in Austria, Noctua's premium cooling components are renowned for their superb quietness, exceptional performance and thoroughgoing quality.

This cooler is on the end of list[it's literally the last position with 42nspr rating (on top there's NH-D15 with 183nspr rating, ehilre D15S scores 167, so you've the overview)
      Anyway we don't know the score with fan installed. I don't think it would be much worse than U12S, but at least it would double it's score.

It's probably designed, to only have such "passive cooling" position. Not to win benchmarks or sell it in high quantities

Comment

Originally posted by reavertm View Post

​​​​​Effective heatpipes will not magically cause heatsink to lose temperature in enclosement of computer case. AFAIK higher thermal density means heatsink needs to dissipate quicker before throttling happens. Yes heatpipes are quick but the argument is not heatpipes vs other method (in ex water) but passive vs active because this heatsink is claimed in article to be enough for high end chips, which I doubt given how quick modern high thermal density chips heat up and how their boost behaviour works. Or maybe density doesn't matter on average.
        I'm sure it will be great when combined with any fan.
        If you're talking about the enclosure, you are beyond the realm of chip level thermal density though, which was your original point.

No shit a heatsink in an unventilated enclosure will eventually saturate, but that's an entirely separate matter.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
          If you're talking about the enclosure, you are beyond the realm of chip level thermal density though, which was your original point.

No shit a heatsink in an unventilated enclosure will eventually saturate, but that's an entirely separate matter.
          The rating, which hides the actual TDP, is lower than any other Noctua cooler. And all the so called "arguments" given here why it would be such a great cooler are based on Noctua hype - on a believe by people who bought an expensive Noctua cooler, which works well enough for their use case, and because they have paid a lot for it, more than what other coolers cost. So they associate highest quality with it, because they have no choice to believe otherwise and because we do naturally associate anything of a high quality with a high cost. This is just what people do when they do not actually have a whole range of different products at their hands and cannot compare the performance and quality of all that is out there.

This fan has a Noctua-rating of just 42 (lower is less). The next better fan is NH-L9a-AM4 which already has got a rating of 61, and is already 45% better. Then what does Noctua say about this one? They say this 61-rated cooler is for "ITX and HTPC builds with Ryzen CPUs or APUs". This should make you wonder what one can actually do with a passive cooler rated at only 42.

The CPU is one of the two most heat critical components in a PC today. The noise however comes more often from fans close to the outside of the case, unless the entire case is very thin or not closed off well. To reduce noise does one start with all outside facing fans, i.e. by using a fanless power supply and large but slow case fans, while a CPU however sits most often in the centre and a CPU fan's noise gets absorbed more easily. Using a fanless power supply means it relies on an existing airflow to cool it and this warms up the case. To put a passive cooler on a CPU in an already silenced case is a risk and more than when using a standard PC build where is has airflow in excess. As the heat comes from the centre does it need to be moved outwards and this passive Noctua cooler just does not provide more heat transmission than any other fan-based cooler - it actually provides less.

So you end up with a huge and heavy block of a cooler that will not fit in most NUC or ITX cases and that requires an additional fan to cool it before you can put it onto anything put the weakest CPUs. Know you can get the NH-D15S for "just" $89.95 and with a rating four times higher: 167.

So where do you actually want to use this passive cooler in and pay $109 for it to do so?

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
            all the so called "arguments" given here why it would be such a great cooler are based on Noctua hype - on a believe by people who bought an expensive Noctua cooler, which works well enough for their use case, and because they have paid a lot for it, more than what other coolers cost. So they associate highest quality with it, because they have no choice to believe otherwise and because we do naturally associate anything of a high quality with a high cost.
            Why don't you try asking why people think something, instead of assuming? You might actually learn something, that way.

Here's one point of reference that tells me Noctua knows how to build a very good cooler, when they really want to:

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
              Why don't you try asking why people think something ...
              Because I do not always need to, but can read quite well and see very little technical argument, but a lot of feel-good talk. Those who do go into technical details are the ones who talk about TDP, ratings, size, weight, cost and make comparisons. They happen to share my view.

Or say, what exactly has your link to the NH-U9 TR4-SP3 to do with this passive cooler? And how did you miss me linking also to another Noctua cooler? Or did this just come from an angry place and because of another comment I made on another subject, coder? You do not have to answer me, because I can guess the answer, but do try and surprise me.

Comment

Or say, what exactly has your link to the NH-U9 TR4-SP3 to do with this passive cooler? And how did you miss me linking also to another Noctua cooler?
                It wasn't a miss. My link was simply an example of another explanation than what you presumed was people's reason for thinking this might be a good cooler. I don't really care about your dispute, other than to show where you're making needless assumptions (and then attacking people on that basis, often referred to as a strawman tactic).

Try asking, next time. It might help more than you think.

Or did this just come from an angry place and because of another comment I made on another subject,
                Nope. I said what I had to say, where it needed to be said. I can compartmentalize, like that. If there's no substantive connection between comments in two different threads, I don't intermingle.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack
                  Yeah, like I said, I did not need to ask.
                  How can you presume to know the mind of another? How can you know you were right, unless you either ask or they at least tell you whether you were right?

Your entire response is about yourself,
                  I don't see that. Please explain.

making excuses,
                  It was an explanation, based on your apparent misunderstanding of what I was trying to show by posting that link. I don't owe you any excuses.

giving opinions and how the world should be according to coder.
                  Aren't we all giving opinions? Aren't we all putting forth a worldview?

Nobody cares.
                  That's some chip on your shoulder. Maybe you'd do well to take a break from posting and do something relaxing.

As for me, I don't presume anyone does care. I try to make points worth considering, but people can take them or leave them.

Comment

Nobody cares.
                    Apparently, nobody cares about your little tirade, because I don't see them joining in or even up-voting you.

I don't see why my voice should be any more or less important than yours.

The people on the Internet are not here to pamper to your special needs.
                    You're the only one even suggesting they might.

Stay on topic, discuss facts,
                    That's what I try to do. It's what I'd prefer to do. However, when I see someone arguing in bad faith, I will call it out. And if I get bullied for it, I'm not one to shrink in the face of intimidation.

do not argue opinions based on your feelings.
                    Examples, please?

I did ask you for examples before, so that we can try to have a fact-based discussion rather than one about your feelings. That you've not been forthcoming tells me that you're really not trying to have a productive dialog but rather just trying to retaliate against me.

Learn when to say nothing.
                    Same to you, buddy.

I really hope you can take a look in the mirror and think about what you're putting out into the world. Why are you posting on here? What do you hope it will accomplish? How is that going?

Comment

Get back on topic, retard.
                      Quite ironic coming from someone who derailed the topic because of their own feelings.

Comment

Working...
                      X