Noctua Launches NH-P1 As High-End Passive CPU Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by coder View Post

Third, where's the Noctua passive heatsink for Raspberry Pi?
    +1
    ...i like this guy.

y'hear noctua? there are literally tens of us. actually rpi kinda huge, so i bet there's plenty of market for attaching cadillacs to them.
    Last edited by doomie; 15 June 2021, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Nonsense. It costs almost as much as a fanless power supply with a platinum rating. Soon will Noctua be selling screws and nuts for $50, because marketing put their jizz on it.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
        Nonsense. It costs almost as much as a fanless power supply with a platinum rating. Soon will Noctua be selling screws and nuts for $50, because marketing put their jizz on it.
        Not sure if you are being sarcastic but Noctua pretty much make the best heatsinks/fans for PC's if you normalize for noise so you get what you pay for, its not like an Beats by Dre brand thing.

Also being completely passive has obvious benefits, completely silent and also a lot less dust in your case while also using less electricity.

Comment

That's so great! Absolutely 0 TDP information and just put it wherever... really... how much does it cool even?

Comment

Originally posted by deemon View Post
            Absolutely 0 TDP information and just put it wherever... really... how much does it cool even?
            The article did list dimensions and materials. They don't rate their coolers in terms of TDP. Here's what they do, instead:

Here are the full specs:

OMG, it's nearly 1.2 kg!! 😲
            🏋️
            🤕

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
              The article did list dimensions and materials. They don't rate their coolers in terms of TDP. Here's what they do, instead:

Here are the full specs:

OMG, it's nearly 1.2 kg!! 😲
              🏋️
              🤕

Even better, they actually have CPU compatibility lists showing how well (or not) it's expected to perform with each CPU, here's the one for the NH-P1: https://ncc.noctua.at/coolers/NH-P1-68/cpus/

According to that apparently it can only barely handle a Ryzen 5 3600 even with a NF-A12x25 LS-PWM fan attached ("CPU might fall slightly below base-clock under continuous full load."), so it doesn't seem as game changing as I thought it was at first glance, still nice for lower end CPUs I guess. On another note, with said fan it can handle a Ryzen 5 5600X fine, so amazing work by AMD and TSMC there.

Comment

Originally posted by reavertm View Post
                Now they are releasing this... F**k you Noctua I am a bit sceptical about this higher end part though.
                I think passive cooler will not be sufficient to dissipate heat from "7nm" or 10nm chips (high thermal density nodes). In the same way air coolers are worse in dissipating than water coolers due to different thermal resistance (I think this is how it is called) of coolant.
                H-end air-coolers like Noctua D15 (or more-compatible D15s) are only sligthly worse at cooling, while being less noisy(yes, air coolers, because 'water cooling' still needs radiator and fans like air cooling, while additionally it needs noisy water pump) and troublesome (of case contains good dust filters, noctua coolers/fans don't need any maintenance. And even if fan will go bad, it will need replacement, but other components will not be damaged).
                The only positive thing about water coooling vs big air tower coolers, is that it takes less space, and is safer to ship pre-built machine (heavy tower coolermounted over CPU socket is a risk for motherboard when package is badly handled, so it's sole purpose why system-integrators prefers it.

Another use-case for water cooling is for machiens having at least 4 GPUs. Water coollers can be much thinner, so you can put more (if you got Threadripper machine, with so many PICE lanes and sockets). Bu it's still a bit risky to play with water, so miners use shelves with pcie risers and air-cooled GPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
                  Not sure if you are being sarcastic but Noctua pretty much make the best heatsinks/fans for PC's if you normalize for noise so you get what you pay for, its not like an Beats by Dre brand thing.

Also being completely passive has obvious benefits, completely silent and also a lot less dust in your case while also using less electricity.
                  No, away with this nonsense. Of course fanless is always appreciated, who does not like it, but it needs to work, or it is pointless. So here we have little information, besides that one can attach a fan to it if necessary (...), it weights nearly 1.2kg and costs $109. And they do not want to give a TDP rating, but instead point to their own rating. This is nonsense. This is a branding gimmick and when it turns out it does not cool enough will they tell you to buy their additional, special design Noctua fan and a special cool case for passive cooling, and in the end will they have sold you a piece of metal for a high price. I would pay $30 for it with the assumption that I will have to throw it away, because it is going to disappoint. No way is this worth $109. This is snake oil and you might as well attach some RGB LEDs to it to make it look flashy.

One can get two or three RaspberryPi 4 2GB for the price of this cooler.
                  Last edited by sdack; 16 June 2021, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
                    I found, that having a fan on the CPU (that most of the time is inaudible) is better than fighting compounding problems.
                    Yeah, I'd rather have a high quality 120 or 140mm fan running very slowly. It makes a big difference in temps and lets you get away with a smaller cooler. Get a good fan and the noise is very minimal.

Comment

Originally posted by evil_core View Post

H-end air-coolers like Noctua D15 (or more-compatible D15s) are only sligthly worse at cooling, while being less noisy(yes, air coolers, because 'water cooling' still needs radiator and fans like air cooling, while additionally it needs noisy water pump) and troublesome (of case contains good dust filters, noctua coolers/fans don't need any maintenance. And even if fan will go bad, it will need replacement, but other components will not be damaged).
                      The only positive thing about water coooling vs big air tower coolers, is that it takes less space, and is safer to ship pre-built machine (heavy tower coolermounted over CPU socket is a risk for motherboard when package is badly handled, so it's sole purpose why system-integrators prefers it.

Another use-case for water cooling is for machiens having at least 4 GPUs. Water coollers can be much thinner, so you can put more (if you got Threadripper machine, with so many PICE lanes and sockets). Bu it's still a bit risky to play with water, so miners use shelves with pcie risers and air-cooled GPUs.
                      I don't need encouragement for using air coolers. I've used them exclusively, specifically for reasons you mentioned. I only voice my doubt that passive heatsink will be sufficient to dissipate heat from thermally dense high TDP chips (what article alludes) before they reach their thermal throttling limits. With higher thermal density of heat source it is vital to dissipate heat fast and continuously, which passive heatsink can have trouble doing in confined space of typical computer case. GamersNexus will test it eventually.
                      Last edited by reavertm; 16 June 2021, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X