No announcement yet.

M1RACLES: Apple M1 Exposed To Covert Channel Vulnerability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I came here from a news site and they didn't tell me any of this at all!

Then perhaps you should stop reading that news site, just like they stopped reading this site after the first 2 paragraphs.
    To be honest, I am a bit disappointed, that the info, that this "vulnerability" is useless is not stated in the article.

Comment

Originally posted by CTTY View Post

To be honest, I am a bit disappointed, that the info, that this "vulnerability" is useless is not stated in the article.
      Yeah, either Michael didn't read the full website, or did read it and decided to post news about this "vulnerability" anyway for clicks.
      In any case, disappointing.

Comment

Hearing how this works, something tells me this "vulnerability" is deliberate. Seems like a convenient method of telemetry.

Comment

Apple should have never allowed those filthy nasty Linux people anywhere near their shiney new chips.

Comment

Originally posted by CTTY View Post

Not exactly useless, but only useful in the context of other vulns. It crosses process and privilege boundaries, which is more than can be said for some stuff like this.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
              Apple should have never allowed those filthy nasty Linux people anywhere near their shiney new chips.
              Programmers were a mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                Hearing how this works, something tells me this "vulnerability" is deliberate. Seems like a convenient method of telemetry.
                No no no, you are mistaken mister. Apple devices are more secure and care about your privacy. Why? Because they said so.
                Have a good day.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

No no no, you are mistaken mister. Apple devices are more secure and care about your privacy. Why? Because they said so.
                  Have a good day.
                  Tim Cook - "It's a feature not a bug, but we won't charge you extra. Wait, strike that, we will charge you extra, and you'll like it."

Comment

Originally posted by NeoBrain View Post
                    Curious summary from their website:
                    OK, so this is basically an instance of trolling and Phoronix got successfully trolled.

Comment

Straight from the article:

"This makes it a two-bit covert channel that any arbitrary process can use to exchange data with another cooperating process."

What this tells me is that this is a non-issue, you need two separate process to cooperate in order to exchange data. In other words, one process can't use this to steal data, such as passwords, from another process, both processes need to agree to share the data.

This doesn't sound like a vulnerability to me, it sounds like an optimization to allow fast data transfer from one child process to another from within the same running parent process.

I'm guessing someone was paid a lot of money to design this into M1.

Comment

Working...
                      X