X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dilbo Daggins
    replied
    Originally posted by misGnomer View Post
    I'd really like to see more of the chips and SoCs manufactured by companies in accountable democracies
    I wonder whether you're trolling this comment section.

Are Intel's backdoored cpus and networking chipsets designed in an accountable democracy? How about AMD's?

Leave a comment:

• elatllat
    replied
    I wonder what the CPU vulnerabilities will be like...

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
    *waiting for the first comments to say that it still can't beat Apple's M1, as per usual*
    Doesn’t really matter as long as these can produce the low thermal designs that don’t compromise performance. Once you have used an Apple M1 based AIR, a fanless design that doesn’t suck, you will want to kick the rest of the industry into gear.

im sitting here thinking about the idea of the various custom Linux system builders cooperating on an ARM based board design if the usual suppliers won’t. Maybe even a custom SoC to move the PC world out of the x86 doldrums.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Originally posted by discordian View Post
    Your distrust is warranted, but ARM usually delivered on those claims . See Anandtech's great CPU reviews.

Yay for ARM sticking the fork into 32bit ! (well, that's removed from X2 and 510 at least)
    That will allow optimizations and RISCV will soon be the only arch having one ISA running top to bottom.
    Bolded the good news! This is why I don’t ever see X86 keeping up as their is too much Legacy to maintain. It would require AMD to make hard decisions about what functionality needs to be deleted from X86.

Leave a comment:

• Artim
    replied
    Originally posted by mangeek View Post

Would it behoove ARM to publish a reference design that vendors could delete from/add to, or does that already happen? I feel like I'm not going to be able to buy one of these until 2023 and that makes me sad.
    That's what they do. But I doubt the basic license would allow that much configuration. You'd need the license Qualcomm, Samsung and Apple have. And then it would be a waste of money to just add/delete a few parts without further improvements, besides that they'll still have to buy stuff like DSPs and ISPs Arm does not provide

Leave a comment:

• jaxa
    replied
    Originally posted by blackshard View Post
    The new dog revision is 30% more doggy than the previous generation and 20% faster than the average dog in the field. The new cat is 40% more feline than the average cats you can buy on the market, consuming 10% less crunchies while performing most common cat duties.
    Crop yield goes up by 30%: WORLD HUNGER SOLVED
    CPU performance goes up by 30% every 2 years: meh

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by mangeek View Post
    Would it behoove ARM to publish a reference design that vendors could delete from/add to, or does that already happen? I feel like I'm not going to be able to buy one of these until 2023 and that makes me sad.
    AFAIK ARM publishes CPU and GPU core designs but not entire "phone on a chip" SOCs - they don't have/own the tech for the entire chip.

They do offer memory controller IP so I imagine a vendor could get pretty close to a "CPU on a chip" design using standard ARM designs.
    Last edited by bridgman; 25 May 2021, 02:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kingu
    replied
    Originally posted by Setif View Post
    I don't trust marketing term "up to", It always means that is applicable to few cases.
    Consider this also has to pass by the legal department, where any claim meaning "always" is never considered safe.

Leave a comment:

• blackshard
    replied
    The new dog revision is 30% more doggy than the previous generation and 20% faster than the average dog in the field. The new cat is 40% more feline than the average cats you can buy on the market, consuming 10% less crunchies while performing most common cat duties.

Leave a comment:

• mangeek
    replied
    Originally posted by Artim View Post

Plus even if you'd take the standard designs, you still have to put them into silicon. It's not that Arm provides the plans that Samsung or TSMC could just take and feed them into their systems. They have to create a design for that process first and most likely add stuff like DSPs, ISPs ans other key components not part of the Cortex designs

Leave a comment:

Working...
X