X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dilbo Daggins
    replied
    Originally posted by misGnomer View Post
    I'd really like to see more of the chips and SoCs manufactured by companies in accountable democracies...
    Kick-starting manufacturing again in free countries will initially cost a little more (although the environment might thank us soon enough) but with tariffs informing decisions growing volumes should soon help with pricing.
    What a joke post. Never heard of s$n*o)w@d%e^n I guess.

Leave a comment:

• jaxa
    replied
    Originally posted by entropy View Post

FSR won't use ML, is taking longer then promised and AMD did not show a single tech video. Also no leaks so far.
    Not very promising if you ask me. I mean ML is not always a good choice but for upscaling what DLSS achieves I can't think of any other competitive way.
    The tech is amazing. It saw 1080p ->2160p videos from actual games that look totally credible (as if rendered in higher resolutions) plus they run way smoother.
    That could be a game changer and I'm afraid AMD has nothing to offer that comes close.
    So with ARM + DLSS that sounds like the way to go for new console and other gaming platforms, no?
    FSR is rumored to launch as soon as June, with quality similar to DLSS 2. It should also be open, easier to implement, and capable of running on Nvidia cards as well as Intel's upcoming cards. It could end up being adopted rapidly, possibly including XSX/PS5. Even late to the party and possibly with less quality/performance, FSR could end up becoming the de facto standard.

Bloomberg says Nintendo will launch a new Switch around September/October. Support for 4K output is mentioned. The Switch currently uses Nvidia's Tegra X1 and Maxwell graphics. Depending on how radical of an upgrade it is, the new one could use DLSS to upscale 720p/1080p to 4K. Or maybe it will just add support for 4K H.265/VP9 playback. If it's the former, there's your best example of an ARM + DLSS console. It's the console best positioned to benefit from DLSS.

Leave a comment:

• Dilbo Daggins
    replied
    If there are backdoors, and you're welcome to point towards evidence, at least they would be done by companies that can be held accountable by governments elected by people.
    nfo.

"Accountable democracy' didn't do a thing about it. Neither did the majority of consumers defect to non-backdoored alternatives, aside from an informed few.

Leave a comment:

• Linuxxx
    replied
    So with ARM + DLSS that sounds like the way to go for new console and other gaming platforms, no?
    Word on the Streetz is that the successor to Nintendo's Switch (probably Switch Pro, because that's incredibly original & not totally overused) will make use of exactly that, featuring a low-power version of nVidia's Xavier SoC.

Maybe Michael already saw some accidentally leaked benchmarks on OpenBenchmarking.org, with nVidia having already used the PTS extensively when the Switch was only known under its codename "NX".

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    I get that, but there ought to be a way to 'backport' advances so that the older foundries can build more efficient (not to mention more secure) products. All those saved gigawatts add up, or rather reduce our collective CO2 output.
    ARM IP designs usually target a range of relevant process nodes. Once you go to an older node than they were designed for, then the size gets a lot bigger, negating some of the cost-savings and also you have to drop the clock speed a lot to meet the timing constraints of the design, which could potentially make it non-competitive. There could be other issues, as well. I'm not a chip designer.

The point is that advances in manufacturing technology are what enable more sophisticated designs. So, I think they won't backport well. Intel tried this with Rocket Lake, and it largely underwhelmed.

CPU designs are basically tied to a fairly narrow range of manufacturing technology. I think that's just a fact of life.

The kids growing up today will have the face the results of those decisions
    The biggest challenge I think we face is adapting world economies to a model not built on continual growth. The world is finite and the sooner we adjust our economies not to pretend otherwise, the more damage we can potentially avoid. I'm not hopeful, because that sort of message doesn't win elections.
    Last edited by coder; 26 May 2021, 05:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    for upscaling what DLSS achieves I can't think of any other competitive way.
    The tech is amazing. It saw 1080p ->2160p videos from actual games that look totally credible (as if rendered in higher resolutions) plus they run way smoother.
    That could be a game changer and I'm afraid AMD has nothing to offer that comes close.
    Yeah, it even took Nvidia a couple years to get DLSS dialed in well. And that's with Tensor cores, which RDNA2 still lacks.

We'll see. MS or Sony can order up a chip with some flavor of AMD's Matrix Cores (that are currently found only in MI100) and use their own algorithms, if AMD still has no answer for DLSS by then.

As for x86 vs. ARM, I think it's more of a toss-up, but if ARM has some core they really wanted to use, then I bet AMD would play ball. AMD is an ARM licensee, though they haven't done anything more than incorporate it in their security processor, in recent years. Do look up the Opteron A1100 and K12, sometime.

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post
    It's probably the comments. Somehow they seem to have attracted the worst kind of trolls on the entire internet.
    Their articles often tend to smack of bias that almost make them sound like advertorials.

But yes, the comments are a level of awful that I thought didn't exist outside of sites like 4chan.

Leave a comment:

• misGnomer
    replied
    Originally posted by coder View Post
    These are all matters you should take up with your government. They could subsidize manufacturing and apply tariffs to incentivize businesses to make the kinds of changes you want to see.
    I've talked to my elected rep and even a major tech company CTO already some years ago, but the politicians and corporate types have been frustratingly slow to wake up. I'm not 'murican, but with the Biden admin finally working towards cooperation by world's democracies and with the Greens who are expected to make significant gains in the heart of Europe thinking along the same lines at least some wheels are turning. Question is if and when the PRC turns to kinetics to get its way.

The most energy-efficient chips are made on the latest manufacturing nodes, and those are also the most expensive.
    I get that, but there ought to be a way to 'backport' advances so that the older foundries can build more efficient (not to mention more secure) products. All those saved gigawatts add up, or rather reduce our collective CO2 output.

Beyond that, I think a big reason why the developing world doesn't get more energy-efficient stuff is due to the amount their governments tend to subsidize electricity (usually dirty coal or oil-fueled). They should instead focus taxes and subsidies on getting more energy-efficient appliances for their people, and gradually ease off the energy subsidies.
    The kids growing up today will have the face the results of those decisions and a belligerent and cancerous authoritarian bloc created by Western indifference and greed after Berlin Wall and Tiananmen square.

It this all seems off topic to some, don't worry. 2020s promises to be quite interesting, albeit in the sense of an 'ancient' Chinese curse "may you live in interesting times".

Leave a comment:

• entropy
    replied
    Isn't AMD set to announce their answer to DLSS within a month or so? I saw some rumor about that, probably on wccftech (I always feel a bit icky after going there).
    FSR won't use ML, is taking longer then promised and AMD did not show a single tech video. Also no leaks so far.
    Not very promising if you ask me. I mean ML is not always a good choice but for upscaling what DLSS achieves I can't think of any other competitive way.

Leave a comment:

• NateHubbard
    replied
    wccftech (I always feel a bit icky after going there).
    It's probably the comments. Somehow they seem to have attracted the worst kind of trolls on the entire internet.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X