No announcement yet.

Arm Announces The Cortex-X2 Armv9 Flagship CPU, Cortex-A710, Cortex-A510

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How far is the acquisition of ARM by NVidia?

AMD fan here, but Judging by the performance of Apple's M1 and taking into account how amazing DLSS is,
    I really wonder what AMD will have to offer when the hardware decisions for the next round of consoles will be made.

Comment

Can I play Doom?

Comment

Originally posted by Dildo Baggins View Post

Are Intel's backdoored cpus and networking chipsets designed in an accountable democracy? How about AMD's?
        If there are backdoors, and you're welcome to point towards evidence, at least they would be done by companies that can be held accountable by governments elected by people.

In case you weren't aware, dictatorships operate quite differently. They can order companies under their "jurisdiction" to do anything and, importantly, people (or companies involved) have absolutely no recourse by definition.

Btw, those "Intel backdoors" would be very bad for Intel's business everywhere outside a handful of american TLA organizations (perhaps 0.01% of their business) so please share your info.

I wonder whether you're trolling this comment section.
        Welcome to Phoronix, Dildo.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

Bolded the good news! This is why I don’t ever see X86 keeping up as their is too much Legacy to maintain. It would require AMD to make hard decisions about what functionality needs to be deleted from X86.
          I honestly would buy a hybrid x86 cpu that had 4 cores supported 64/32bit and the other cores were 64bit only. Most software that most want to run that is 32bit only were never optimized to use more than 4 cores anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by jeisom View Post

I honestly would buy a hybrid x86 cpu that had 4 cores supported 64/32bit and the other cores were 64bit only. Most software that most want to run that is 32bit only were never optimized to use more than 4 cores anyway.
            At some point I expect that they will just remove x86 support entirely. It's easy enough to not use it at all right now, depending on your situation.
            Servers come to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post

At some point I expect that they will just remove x86 support entirely. It's easy enough to not use it at all right now, depending on your situation.
              Servers come to mind.
              I expect this as well, though I suspect they may try a hybrid design in the transition. I have no idea how much die space is attributed to 32bit, but I doubt its inconsequential and would probably allow for some simplification of the frontends. I kinda expect AMD to be first but we will see.

Comment

Originally posted by misGnomer View Post
                I'd really like to see more of the chips and SoCs manufactured by companies in accountable democracies, ...

Second issue is sustainability and that essentially requires Open Source to support long-term maintenance and security too. Tariffs (or waste management taxes) can be used there too to gently guide corporate behaviour. ...

People and the planet need to matter more, even in business equations.

Kick-starting manufacturing again in free countries will initially cost a little more ...
                These are all matters you should take up with your government. They could subsidize manufacturing and apply tariffs to incentivize businesses to make the kinds of changes you want to see.

And why can't we get these new more energy-efficient and secure designs to trickle down to the mass market quicker?
                The most energy-efficient chips are made on the latest manufacturing nodes, and those are also the most expensive.

Beyond that, I think a big reason why the developing world doesn't get more energy-efficient stuff is due to the amount their governments tend to subsidize electricity (usually dirty coal or oil-fueled). They should instead focus taxes and subsidies on getting more energy-efficient appliances for their people, and gradually ease off the energy subsidies.

I realize that ARM deserves their royalties, but we also need the most energy-efficient technology possible out there where it saves Watts.
                The IP licensing costs are probably just a few % of the total chip costs. ARM's revenues aren't that big, in spite of the tens of billions of ARM cores that get manufactured, every year.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow
                  Or Altra
                  Huh? Altra uses ARM's off-the-shelf IP. And the cores in it are derived from the A76, which is 3 generations behind these.

Anyway, ARM just announced the N2, which is the successor to the N1 cores in Altra and sounds like it's derived from the A710. However, Ampere just announced their own proprietary cores, which means we might not see another Ampere CPU with off-the-shelf ARM cores in it.

In other words: troll harder, bro.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                    taking into account how amazing DLSS is,
                    Isn't AMD set to announce their answer to DLSS within a month or so? I saw some rumor about that, probably on wccftech (I always feel a bit icky after going there).

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post
                      Servers come to mind.
                      I wonder if there are even Intel or AMD CPUs that have shipped with major bugs in 32-bit code that went virtually unnoticed, due to so little 32-bit code getting used any more.

However, as I say that, I recall that my corporate Windows laptop is still using a 32-bit version of MS Office, for some unknowable reason.
                      Last edited by coder; 26 May 2021, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X