Arm Announces The Cortex-X2 Armv9 Flagship CPU, Cortex-A710, Cortex-A510

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arm Announces The Cortex-X2 Armv9 Flagship CPU, Cortex-A710, Cortex-A510

Phoronix: Arm Announces The Cortex-X2 Armv9 Flagship CPU, Cortex-A710, Cortex-A510

Arm today announced the Cortex-X2 as their new flagship Armv9 processor design...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

These all sound great. And finally, there is a successor to the Cortex-A55.

Comment

I don't trust marketing term "up to", It always means that is applicable to few cases.

Comment

Is there any significant news or changed to the ARMv9 architecture compared to ARMv8 or is it just marketing?

Originally posted by jaxa View Post
        These all sound great. And finally, there is a successor to the Cortex-A55.
        Yeah, the Cortex-A55 is old (2017) has been used for a long time. Finally a successor!

Comment

Originally posted by Setif View Post
          I don't trust marketing term "up to", It always means that is applicable to few cases.
          Your distrust is warranted, but ARM usually delivered on those claims . See Anandtech's great CPU reviews.

Yay for ARM sticking the fork into 32bit ! (well, that's removed from X2 and 510 at least)
          That will allow optimizations and RISCV will soon be the only arch having one ISA running top to bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Is there any significant news or changed to the ARMv9 architecture compared to ARMv8 or is it just marketing?
            Our central processor unit (CPU) architecture comes in three varieties optimized for different use cases: A-Profile for rich applications, , R-Profile for Real-time, and M-Profile for microcontrollers

For me SVE2 is the highlight thing.
            Variable length vector is a much better design than the AVX approach. Not sure why Intel didn't use it.

Others are minor changes that don't deserve a major version bump IMO (but since Chrome and Firefox's version bumps...)

Comment

*waiting for the first comments to say that it still can't beat Apple's M1, as per usual*

Comment

I'd really like to see more of the chips and SoCs manufactured by companies in accountable democracies, especially the lower end (incl. the growing IoT segment) where one certain dictatorship (with the security risks that entails) dominates the market.

I'd be fine with stiff anti-dictatorship tariffs if that gets us somewhere from between Rock and the hard place.

Second issue is sustainability and that essentially requires Open Source to support long-term maintenance and security too. Tariffs (or waste management taxes) can be used there too to gently guide corporate behaviour. Sorry Apple, but there are too many others too.

People and the planet need to matter more, even in business equations.

Kick-starting manufacturing again in free countries will initially cost a little more (although the environment might thank us soon enough) but with tariffs informing decisions growing volumes should soon help with pricing.

And why can't we get these new more energy-efficient and secure designs to trickle down to the mass market quicker? I realize that ARM deserves their royalties, but we also need the most energy-efficient technology possible out there where it saves Watts.

Comment

It would be the best if they open the mali sources too.

Comment

Originally posted by misGnomer View Post
                    And why can't we get these new more energy-efficient and secure designs to trickle down to the mass market quicker? I realize that ARM deserves their royalties, but we also need the most energy-efficient technology possible out there where it saves Watts.
                    Look at Mediatek, Rocketchip or what they are called. That's what you'd get. But qualcomm, Samsung and Apple don't just take the designs and have them manufactured. They build their own designs on top of that, that takes a lot of time, otherwise stuff like the 808 happens. Plus even if you'd take the standard designs, you still have to put them into silicon. It's not that Arm provides the plans that Samsung or TSMC could just take and feed them into their systems. They have to creat a design for that process first and most likely add stuff like DSPs, ISPs ans other key components not part of the Cortex designs

Comment

Working...
                    X