Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which applications benefit from 4GB or more?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gcc - and yes, it can use lots of ram. I have seen 1gb for every make instance used by kdepim with kdeenablefinal flag. 3 make instances, 3 gb of ram used...

Comment

It sure helps on quad cores with "make -j5" on large packages. I guess only Arch and Gentoo users have to worry about that though :P

Comment

I burned a 3.4GB DVD yesterday. While I didn't benchmark it, I could see how the memory monitor went from 1GB allocated to 3.4GB in straight manner. The entire process took less than 5-10 minutes on a 16x DVD burner.

If I recall correctly it took much longer time before.

Do you think my observation was correct? Was it an actual improvement in burning speed thanks to the extra RAM?

Comment

When burning, there's a write cache that is used as buffer and is quite small (256MB max). Burning happens from that cache only. The rest simply got allocated by the kernel due to extra caching of files, but that doesn't speed up the burn process.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            It sure helps on quad cores with "make -j5" on large packages. I guess only Arch and Gentoo users have to worry about that though :P
            Yep, 4Gb and a Quad Core is a real joy on compiling a Gentoo system. You can also use 2 Gb on a TMPFS...

What's the point of 2 Gb versus 4 Gb, when the price for 2 Gb is so cheap ??

Comment

Originally posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
              Yep, 4Gb and a Quad Core is a real joy on compiling a Gentoo system. You can also use 2 Gb on a TMPFS...
              Yep, I have 6GB with a 4GB tmpfs Funny thing though, it's still not enough for OpenOffice 3, that sucker needs exactly 5.3GB

What's the point of 2 Gb versus 4 Gb, when the price for 2 Gb is so cheap ??
              My thinking too. After the prices dropped significantly, I simply upgraded from 2GB to 6GB for under 40 bucks

Comment

I have 8GB of RAM of which 2GB is devoted to a tempfs like the others here. If anything, the benefit of haveing a large disk cache is always useful.

It would be nice though, to have more specific tweaks to the caching/preloading formula. For example, many OSes try to "learn" what applications you always want loaded, but I would much rather specify if needed. Or for example to prioritise keeping the major desktop gui in memory.

Comment

Maya and Blender also love ram depending on the model, textures and scene size.

Comment

free
                    total used free shared buffers cached
                    Mem: 8173972 3378744 4795228 0 2120 1863168
                    -/+ buffers/cache: 1513456 6660516
                    Swap: 23446836 0 23446836

df -h
                    Dateisystem Gr??e Benut Verf Ben% Eingeh?ngt auf
                    rootfs 71G 21G 51G 30% /
                    /dev/root 71G 21G 51G 30% /
                    rc-svcdir 1,0M 100K 924K 10% /lib64/rc/init.d
                    udev 10M 140K 9,9M 2% /dev
                    shm 3,9G 0 3,9G 0% /dev/shm
                    /dev/md2 36G 16G 21G 44% /var
                    /dev/md3 765G 503G 263G 66% /home
                    /dev/sdc7 222G 62G 160G 28% /mnt/filme
                    tmpfs 4,0G 0 4,0G 0% /var/tmp/portage
                    tmpfs 1,0G 552K 1,0G 1% /tmp

model name : AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor

got it yesterday (had 6gb 2x2 and 2x1gb and a X2 6000). It is such a beast when it comes to compiling.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                      Maya and Blender also love ram depending on the model, textures and scene size.
                      I have seen blender eat up 6GB*of RAM*for breakfast. Granted, it was a large model, but still...

Comment

Working...
                      X