No announcement yet.

AMD Energy Driver Booted From The Linux 5.13 Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bridgman is that the only way to use it?

Comment

For the future, we'll have to make sure that no privileged-access-only drivers are accepted into the hwmon subsystem in the first place. The hwmon ABI document was updated accordingly."
      are they looking old commits also?

as long as they stand by the above statement, everybody should be happy

Comment

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
        The funny situation is, being precise is now considered as bugs by paranoids.
        Someday they're gonna welcome processors that randomly yield 3 when computing 1+1 in the name of security.
        So ....... Pentium FDIV bug was ahead of it's time?

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          My understanding from the developer is that hwmon requires non-root access.
          Originally posted by loganj View Post
          bridgman is that the only way to use it?
          I didn't think so, but need to find out.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

So ....... Pentium FDIV bug was ahead of it's time?
            Well, Quantum Physicists do say that events can have effects both forwards and backwards through time. I suggest submitting a paper on the matter to a respected journal in that field.

The beginning of next April might be a good date for publication.

Comment

They are just sysfs files. You can read the files to get the data. See:

Comment

Any news from the people responsible about this? Did he/she/they replied yet?

Comment

Yeah, this is why I'm kinda sad that the Linux kernel became so popular. The dev community behind it truly is toxic. Outright removing the module because you think it shouldn't have to need root? This is an important module, and removing it is not an option, but here we are. There are many other kernel dev teams that are made of normal non-toxic human beings, not led by a megalomaniac (usually part of an OS team, generally these things are not separate).

They just yell at people too much, and clearly give too little of a shit about what people think. Honestly, I tend to think these days that their attitude is a liability for business, because there may come a day where they remove something YOU need, and you'll just be screwed. Reminds me of when they broke ZoL by removing a pretty important function from the kernel API (don't recall which). Luckily the ZoL team is excellent, so you'd be hard-pressed to royally screw those guys, but a smaller kernel dev team? Different story.

With that said, I use Linux daily. I'm writing this on a Ubuntu 20.04 Ryzen 9 behemoth and loving every minute of it, but what's going on at the core of my OS is very concerning to me. The sheer childishness of it all.

Comment

Working...
                  X