AMD Energy Driver Booted From The Linux 5.13 Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Technically speaking, with the right math all stats can be used to increase the strength of other attacks.

I'd rather this be root only or hidden behind a kernel command line; not the nuclear option.

How long until Phoronix is made illegal in the name of security? All these benchmarks provide a lot of statistics for the legion of evil indoor hoodie wearing hackers.
    If they want to block things like this they should do it through more granular means, so application X can access it all it wants if it needs to display stats or what have you, but I don't want my web browser accessing it...

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post

If they want to block things like this they should do it through more granular means, so application X can access it all it wants if it needs to display stats or what have you, but I don't want my web browser accessing it...
      Wow, if only Linux had some means to control access to system resources based on the user or group. Super cool would be a way for a particular program to run as a specific user or group. Wouldn't that be wacky? </s>

Comment

Originally posted by willmore View Post

Wow, if only Linux had some means to control access to system resources based on the user or group. Super cool would be a way for a particular program to run as a specific user or group. Wouldn't that be wacky? </s>
        I think their complaint is that permission control schemes like selinux and cgroups aren't widely used and utilized for just this purpose. If one needs stats then add a user or program to the stats group. Not part of the group? Then you're not getting stats therefore the problem is mitigated.

That's the reason I said kernel command line or root only -- permission control schemes aren't a universal constant on Linux. There is no permissiond that everyone agrees to work with.

Comment

I think their complaint is that permission control schemes like selinux and cgroups aren't widely used and utilized for just this purpose. If one needs stats then add a user or program to the stats group. Not part of the group? Then you're not getting stats therefore the problem is mitigated.

That's the reason I said kernel command line or root only -- permission control schemes aren't a universal constant on Linux. There is no permissiond that everyone agrees to work with.
          Then don't build this module in your distro if you don't use basic UNIX permissions? SGID has been in UNIX for how many decades? Removing the code from the kernel source base is a massively overkill way to control access to the power data. There are a half dozen good ways short of that to control its access.

Comment

Originally posted by willmore View Post

Then don't build this module in your distro if you don't use basic UNIX permissions? SGID has been in UNIX for how many decades? Removing the code from the kernel source base is a massively overkill way to control access to the power data. There are a half dozen good ways short of that to control its access.

Comment

So far in all the FLOSS v Megacorp debates I have exclusively been on the side of the FLOSS maintainers.

On this occasion though, I may be missing a lot of information, but this one decision seems strange.

Comment

If a bad person has enough access to read that information you have far bigger problems than them being able to read that information.

Comment

No, you can. DKMS to the rescue
                  Last edited by timofonic; 30 April 2021, 01:27 AM.

Comment

There is no permissiond that everyone agrees to work with.
                    For god's sake, don't give them MORE ideas about where to sprawl that mess into next!

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
                      i'm not sure if i understand correctly
                      they remove it because you needed root access to use it?
                      if so whats wrong with that? there are tons of feature that needs root access on any OS. and not using it because you don't have root access will not make your linux work worse than not having it at all in the linux
                      My understanding from the developer is that hwmon requires non-root access.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X