Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Initial Support For The Apple M1 Lands In Linux 5.13

Phoronix: Initial Support For The Apple M1 Lands In Linux 5.13

As expected, support for the initial Apple M1 SoC support and 2020 Apple Silicon devices (Mac Mini, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air) has landed into the Linux 5.13 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's pretty fast for a device with little to no hardware internal documentation.

Comment

This is great news if you are a person hoping to see the greater industry move to ARM!!!! I see some outfit in China is near introduction of a tablet designed to run Linux from the ground up. I just hope it has a decent chip that will make for a good experience

Comment

reMarkable

Comment

Pretty, pretty, pretty good

Comment

2018 will be looked back upon in the history of Aarch as the year in which the AGE of ARM moved from very low power mobile and embedded use cases to finally competing in desktop and laptop use cases with the introduction of the ARM Cortex A76 and the Server variant the N1 and X1. From that base with ARMs clean sheet redesign of big.LITTLE into what is known as DymamicIQ along with out of order superscalar and wide width ordering, Qualcomm, Ampere, Nvidia, Apple, Fujitsu, Amazon and Google have taken ARM to heights not seen ever in the consumer space and even to the fastest Supercomputer in the world.

Now, I predict that 5.13 will be looked back on as another big leap for ARM along with GCC 11 support for all the new ARM hardware that's been out for the last couple of years including Fujitsu and the new vector SIMDs SVE and SVE2.

All this and the absolute raft of ARM based rollouts of Chromebooks, Windows devices and Apple completing it's full transition to ARM based Mac's including their Mac Tower will make 2021 a very pivotal and exciting year for ARM.
            Last edited by Jumbotron; 26 April 2021, 11:34 PM.

Comment

There is no consumer product with Neoverse core and current Windows + ARM experience is an abomination. ARM age indeed

Comment

This is similar to adding support for EGLStreams into XWayland or whatever it was: waste of brain power. Granted, everyone is entitled to use her/his time and brain as he/she sees fit, but I can't help wondering what kind of fun it is.

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post
                  This is similar to adding support for EGLStreams into XWayland or whatever it was: waste of brain power. Granted, everyone is entitled to use her/his time and brain as he/she sees fit, but I can't help wondering what kind of fun it is.
                  Nvidia wrote that EGLStreams support in Xwayland themself, they can waste as much brainpower as they want. Especially in the context of them maybe supporting the proper solution aka GBM after all. Just don't buy a GPU from them if you have any self respect.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

Nvidia wrote that EGLStreams support in Xwayland themself
                    Yes, that's why I added "or whatever it was": I recall the community helping nvidia in some way, adding support for EGLStreams somewhere, but I don't remember exactly where, maybe it was Gnome, KDE and others

Comment

Working...
                    X