Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD EPYC 72F3 Linux Performance For 8-Core Zen 3 Server CPU

Phoronix: AMD EPYC 72F3 Linux Performance For 8-Core Zen 3 Server CPU

Over the past month we have been quite impressed by the performance of the EPYC 7003 series Milan processors when looking at the top-tier parts, but how does Zen 3 do for lower-tier server CPUs? Recently we were supplied with two EPYC 72F3 processors from AMD for these 8-core high performance SKUs. In our initial look at the EPYC 72F3 Linux performance is seeing how they compare to the similar previous-generation EPYC 7F32 processor.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The all new Zen 3.

Throw your Zen 2 in the trash.
    It's a piece of shit.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      The all new Zen 3.

Throw your Zen 2 in the trash.
      It's a piece of shit.
      I don't think this is a good mentality. The Zen 2 could get another use.

Not everyone is able to afford a new processor every year, especially after the pandemic.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I don't think this is a good mentality. The Zen 2 could get another use.

Not everyone is able to afford a new processor every year, especially after the pandemic.
        Click this and watch it, especially the part around 1:40.

Comment

Sadly, I cannot comprehend movie references....

Wait a moment, is this EPYC without ECC?! I don't see ECC mentioned anywhere in the page...
          Last edited by tildearrow; 26 April 2021, 03:09 PM.

Comment

So sad they dropped "cheap" 8core versions with Milan/Zen3 version. There were many EPYC Rome 8-Core Processors sold below 700€, which where worth compared to their Ryzen equivalent. Of course ECC-memory makes them slightly less affordable (80€/16G)

Comment

I want something like this in a laptop not my server, 256MB of L3 cache is insane for an 8 core, nice and roomy. Could fit an entire OS into cache if it was minimal enough!

Comment

are they sold at BestBuy or Fry's ?

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

It would be very informative to benchmark Ryzen 5800X (dual-channel DDR4 51.2 GB/s, 32 MB L3 cache) against EPYC 72F3 (octa-channel DDR4 204.8 GB/s, 256 MB L3 cache).
                  Indeed. I'm honestly curious why the EPYC 72F3 doesn't actually clock more than 200Mhz higher on boost than it's predecessor. I know AMD doesn't measure TDP the same between all their parts, but I could swear I've seen reviews of Ryzen 5000 where the 8 and 16 core "105 watt" parts were still only drawing 130-140 actual watts while boosting to 4.4-4.6Ghz all core depending on workload (AVX, SSE, etc.) & thermals. Is the larger EPYC I/O die really consuming an extra 40-50 watts for all those PCIe lanes and DDR4 channels, and even then they have to clock the cores 300-500Mhz lower to stay in 180 watts?

Not to mention an 8 core EPYC with only a single core enabled on each of the 8 chiplets should be positively easy to cool. It's still an impressive part, but the power & performance numbers don't quite add up in my opinion.
                  Last edited by nranger; 26 April 2021, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nranger View Post

Indeed. I'm honestly curious why the EPYC 72F3 doesn't actually clock more than 200Mhz higher on boost than it's predecessor. I know AMD doesn't measure TDP the same between all their parts, but I could swear I've seen reviews of Ryzen 5000 where the 8 and 16 core "105 watt" parts were still only drawing 130-140 actual watts while boosting to 4.4-4.6Ghz all core depending on workload (AVX, SSE, etc.) & thermals. Is the larger EPYC I/O die really consuming an extra 40-50 watts for all those PCIe lanes and DDR4 channels, and even then they have to clock the cores 300-500Mhz lower to stay in 180 watts?

Not to mention an 8 core EPYC with only a single core enabled on each of the 8 chiplets should be positively easy to cool. It's still an impressive part, but the power & performance numbers don't quite add up in my opinion.
                    I'd assume this is the bottom of the barrel silicon. CPU's that weren't capable of clocking high enough to sell on the consumer market.

The wattage is 38W higher than a 5800X, which isn't great but also isn't that bad if you consider it their worst silicon and all the extra IO.

Comment

Working...
                    X