X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hotaru
    replied
    Originally posted by CTown View Post

I think it upscaled either 720p or 1080p to 1440p. 1440p would be upscaled to 4k.
    1440p is mediocre. 720p is way below mediocre.

Leave a comment:

• CTown
    replied
    Originally posted by hotaru View Post

going from 1440p to 1440p isn't upscaling.
    I think it upscaled either 720p or 1080p to 1440p. 1440p would be upscaled to 4k.

Leave a comment:

• hotaru
    replied
    Originally posted by CTown View Post
    I'm convinced that thing can upscale something mediocre into 1440p easily.
    going from 1440p to 1440p isn't upscaling.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post

But my system is an x86 system. Not much has happened in the x86 space. In the embedded space, such as ARM lots have happened, now they 8 cores, which is more than most x86 desktops and laptops have, they have heterogeneous computing with strong cores paired with weak cores.
    What I'm seeing is that the world outside of x86 is making far better use of all that die space that has opened up with the latest process shrinks. Almost every cell phone chip made has incorporated more functionality than any of the shipping x86 chips. It also helps that the ARM cores themselves are smaller so again more die space can be dedicated to hardware acceleration. The x86 world is still obsessed with trying to pack functionality into either the CPU or the GPU. This has left the x86 world behind and the gap is just getting bigger.

One big example is the AI/ML hardware now packed into most ARM chips. This is just the beginning of AI functionality and as such I would expect these sub systems to grow in complexity. As the AI hardware capability increases, operating systems themselves will come to depend upon that AI/ML hardware. When that happens (it might be sooner than many think) interest in x86 will drop like a rock.

I kinda liken it to the current interests in electric cars. Rational people understand that electric cars are a better technology for many reasons far beyond the supposed carbon foot print issue. The problem is that it took a long time for reasonable battery capacity to catch up and the charging infrastructure to fall into place. We will see this mirrored in operating systems and apps as the AI/ML capabilities of ARM chips out strip what can be done on x86, suddenly there will be huge demand for ARM chips with these capabilities just like we are seeing massive demand jumps for electric cars.

x86 = ICE cars
    RISC = Electric Cars Here means every form of RISC.
    Last edited by wizard69; 15 April 2021, 05:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

This is kind of contradicting. Your system is legacy already, at least according to your definition of "anything that's not the new hot stuff is obsolete" from your previous post.
    But my system is an x86 system. Not much has happened in the x86 space. In the embedded space, such as ARM lots have happened, now they 8 cores, which is more than most x86 desktops and laptops have, they have heterogeneous computing with strong cores paired with weak cores.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Nah, I have my 7 year old system from 2013, and I don't feel that it is legacy. Not much has changed, at least not in the x86 space.
    This is kind of contradicting. Your system is legacy already, at least according to your definition of "anything that's not the new hot stuff is obsolete" from your previous post.

Leave a comment:

• Siuoq
    replied
    Why do you think that? I didn't wrote "Ha ha"?

Leave a comment:

• M@GOid
    replied
    Originally posted by Siuoq View Post

Quote and link wiki, or stfu. There is no need to make comments that are only rude, but not helpful.

Leave a comment:

• Siuoq
    replied
    Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Oh man, do you have to post a link that I have to click to see the info? Couldn't you just paste the info in your post?
    Quote and link wiki, or stfu. There is no need to make comments that are only rude, but not helpful.

Leave a comment:

• Slartifartblast
    replied
    Originally posted by edwaleni View Post

Send me the bill.
    Here you go....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X