• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by anzv View Post
    Hi Michael,
    Can you please share what chassis did you use for the Supermicro MB H12SSL-i with the Milan CPU and the CPU Cooler used.
    Any link for the thermals test, with all 64cores running ? for the expected 280W TDP for this board.
    thanks,
    anzv
    See cooler tests @ https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...a38-epyc&num=1

Rosewill 4U enclosures are all I use these days for my own 4U builds including the Milan motherboard builds.

Leave a comment:

• anzv
    replied
    Hi Michael,
    Can you please share what chassis did you use for the Supermicro MB H12SSL-i with the Milan CPU and the CPU Cooler used.
    Any link for the thermals test, with all 64cores running ? for the expected 280W TDP for this board.
    thanks,
    anzv

Leave a comment:

• zephyrhawk
    replied
    Originally posted by kobblestown View Post

I think this has been the case with SuperMicro BMCs for quite a while. At least for the older ones there is a way to generate the license key without paying anything. I don't know if that works for modern boards though. Certainly, $20 is not an unreasonable amount if it lets you run your brand new CPU without waiting for a dummy CPU just to perform the update. But why pay it if you don't have to?!
    Yes, I tried the key generation online and it did work. After verifying the functionality I then purchased the key license from SM.

Leave a comment:

• kobblestown
    replied
    Originally posted by zephyrhawk View Post

On my H11DSi-NT I have flashed BIOS via the BMC just fine without a functioning cpu. This functionality does require a license key (~$20 as I recall).
    I think this has been the case with SuperMicro BMCs for quite a while. At least for the older ones there is a way to generate the license key without paying anything. I don't know if that works for modern boards though. Certainly, $20 is not an unreasonable amount if it lets you run your brand new CPU without waiting for a dummy CPU just to perform the update. But why pay it if you don't have to?!

Leave a comment:

• pegasus
    replied
    You can generate that license out of bmc mac address. It's all over the internet ...

Leave a comment:

• zephyrhawk
    replied
    Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    If the BMC interface can perform BIOS upgrades, then a CPU is not required, since the BMC is active even with the machine powered down.
    On my H11DSi-NT I have flashed BIOS via the BMC just fine without a functioning cpu. This functionality does require a license key (~$20 as I recall).

Leave a comment:

• torsionbar28
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Good question, I think it should be achievable without, but I did have a Zen 2 CPU in initially but never powered it on.... Did a quick build. Looked at the Supermicro site, saw the BMC firmware also needed to be upgraded before flashing the BIOS. So at that point I just did everything through the BMC web interface for flashing the BMC and BIOS and then at that point just dropped in the new CPU. Supermicro can probably provide an official answeer
    If the BMC interface can perform BIOS upgrades, then a CPU is not required, since the BMC is active even with the machine powered down.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post
    Hi Michael,
    Did you needed older gen Epyc in order to update the bios ? or it recognized Milan without bios update ?
    Good question, I think it should be achievable without, but I did have a Zen 2 CPU in initially but never powered it on.... Did a quick build. Looked at the Supermicro site, saw the BMC firmware also needed to be upgraded before flashing the BIOS. So at that point I just did everything through the BMC web interface for flashing the BMC and BIOS and then at that point just dropped in the new CPU. Supermicro can probably provide an official answeer

Leave a comment:

• BillBroadley
    replied
    Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post
    Hi Michael,
    Did you needed older gen Epyc in order to update the bios ? or it recognized Milan without bios update ?
    I was wondering the same thing. Can you update the bios via the management board, even if the current CPU isn't recognized? Or do you need a zen1/zen2 epyc to accomplish the upgrade and allow the zen3/Milan epyc to work?

Leave a comment:

• xxmitsu
    replied
    Hi Michael,

Leave a comment:

Working...
X