No announcement yet.

Intel Launches 3rd Gen Xeon Scalable "Ice Lake" CPUs With Up To 40 Cores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh...yeah...almost forgot. That ARM based Ampere Altra SOC? Yeah...there is no "Base" clock or "Turbo" clock for a certain few of the entire core count but not all cores simultaneously.

All 80 cores of the Ampere Altra run at 3.3 Ghz. All the time. At 250W TDP. Ice Lake can't . AMD Milan Epyc can't.

The legacy x86 CPUs can't even get close to that. Not even Milan at 7nm.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      So this is 70% more cores and 80% the price of last gen, using a node that was delayed for several years and seems to have poor yields. I imagine Intel's profit margins on these chips will be some of the worst they've seen.
      I want to believe there is a sales department on Intel, were is a Lisa Su poster with darts on it and a hand written "die bitch!!". Years and years of "this is the price, take it or leave it", are no more.

A couple years ago, when they released their new X299 socket CPUs in half the price of their previous offerings, I thought "my god, AMD is killing them". And now this, the crown jewels Xeons are being sold for some big discounts. 5 years ago nobody would believed it.
      Last edited by M@GOid; 06 April 2021, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post
        Intel 8099/40 = $202/core
        AMD 7890/64 = $123/core

Benchmarks will be interesting.
        I'm not sure interesting is the word. I see AMD moving ahead by a significant amount. What this does do though is open up the possibility of having more ARM installations in the future, as it becomes harder and harder to ignore the advantages.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

I want to believe there is some sales department on Intel, were is a Lisa Su poster with darts on it and a hand written "die bitch!!".
          I'm laughing my ass off here because "die bitch" could be taken two ways. After all she helped promote the use of chiplets or small dies to make big processors.

Years and years of "this is the price, take it or leave it", are no more.
          One of the reasons I ran out an purchased an Apple M1 based Air is that I wanted to send a message to Intel and frankly most of the other big PC vendors that I don't think much of the X86 world they have created. I'm just tired of the high prices and low quality machines the like of HP and others have been shipping. Frankly the performance of most x86 laptops is pretty terrible especially if you try to do work while on battery power. In the end I spent years looking at iPads wishing that they where real computers, something that actually worked well on battery power.
          A couple years ago when hey released their new X299 socket CPUs in half the price of their previous offerings, I thought "my god, AMD is killing them". And now this, the crown jewels Xeons are being sold for some big discounts. 5 years ago nobody would believed it.
          But it is nice to see. Now Intel is taking broadsides in every category and I couldn't be happier to see it!!!! Even their choke hold on laptops is evaporating right in front of them. Apple basically has grabbed the very low power segment with AMD taking a great deal of what remains. The only thing Intel has going for it is brand loyalty which is significant. However if one is objective it is really hard to justify Intel in any market segment .

I know Apple gets a lot of grief in these forums, some of it well deserved, but if they encourage other manufactures to take ARM seriously in laptops then I have to applaud Apple. I'd love to see Lenovo get serious about ARM and deliver an ARM based laptop that doesn't suck. It doesn't even need to support Windows, through a Linux distro on it and call it a day.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
            I'm laughing my ass off here because "die bitch" could be taken two ways. After all she helped promote the use of chiplets or small dies to make big processors.

One of the reasons I ran out an purchased an Apple M1 based Air is that I wanted to send a message to Intel and frankly most of the other big PC vendors that I don't think much of the X86 world they have created. I'm just tired of the high prices and low quality machines the like of HP and others have been shipping. Frankly the performance of most x86 laptops is pretty terrible especially if you try to do work while on battery power. In the end I spent years looking at iPads wishing that they where real computers, something that actually worked well on battery power.

But it is nice to see. Now Intel is taking broadsides in every category and I couldn't be happier to see it!!!! Even their choke hold on laptops is evaporating right in front of them. Apple basically has grabbed the very low power segment with AMD taking a great deal of what remains. The only thing Intel has going for it is brand loyalty which is significant. However if one is objective it is really hard to justify Intel in any market segment .

I know Apple gets a lot of grief in these forums, some of it well deserved, but if they encourage other manufactures to take ARM seriously in laptops then I have to applaud Apple. I'd love to see Lenovo get serious about ARM and deliver an ARM based laptop that doesn't suck. It doesn't even need to support Windows, through a Linux distro on it and call it a day.
            Personally what I hate the most in Apple is their attitude regarding repair-ability, since most of my work is fixing things. But I do admire their stuff in other ways.
            I believe they missed a good opportunity here, missing the launch of a laptop with a battery big enough for 24hrs of real world endurance. The excessive obsession with thinness and lightness make them miss releasing some real earthquakes on the laptop market.

I believe we could had seen more x86, 12-plus hours laptops if this obsession with thinness weren't in the way.

Regarding ARM CPUs, I'm still on the fence on them. While they showed real performance gains over x86, that was on selected software. In the future I can see some people sticking with x86 because of obscure software availability, stuff that is not big enough to receive special treatment on the x86 emulators for ARM. But most people won't care at all, since ARM's software library is already big enough for common user cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
              Ohhh...it'll hit 320+ Watt TDP easy in real world usage. It'll hit this now with certain benchmarks.

Also just Google Anadtechs Article on the Ice Lake Scalable CPU ( I said Google it because Phoronix's stupid algorithm flags links to articles as spam half the time ).

Why?

Because they test Ice Lake SP with another gen Xeon, a Milan based Epyc and an 80 core Ampere Altra.

Let's just say that Ice Lake is a joke. At ANY price but PARTICULARLY at $8,100 USD. It loses in BIG to Milan and WORSE to the ARM based Ampere Altra in muti-threaded workloads. It only margiinally wins some and loses other benchmarks in single threaded workloads to Milan. Ice Lake UTTERLY gets DESTROYED in Java benchmarks to Milan.

But the even CLEARER takeaway is oddly this. The 80 core ARM based Ampere Altra is the winner over both AMD Milan Epyc and BIGLY over Ice Lake SP. Lower average TDP, 50 PERCENT INCREASE in memory bandwidth over Ice Lake SP and 10 PECENT over Milan and HALF THE PRICE of Ice Lake SP.

The ARM based Ampere Altra even beats both Milan and Ice Lake Muti-threaded benchmarks. And that's with ARM's N1 cores on ARMarch v8. Version 9 is out now aand that will be going into ARMs successor to N1 and the Poseidon cores.

What the Anandrech article about Ice Lake does is paradoxically show that the ARM based Ampere Altra is the CLEAR WINNER by far for both Power/IPC winner and Cost/IPC winner. And for Muti-threaded workloads it's the winner REGARDLESS cost or TDP.

The Age of ARM is here. x86 is now legacy.
              tbh I've been doing all my development on RPIs and Jetsons in the recent past couple of years because they just feel like the future. It feels good using a machine that draws 5-10 watts. Also they're low perf boards so you get punished fast if you're screwing up on your algos. I'm also finding that outside of a couple of glitches with machine learning frameworks, I hardly get any problems with compatibility anymore. Just waiting to see if Nvidia updates the Jetson Xavier at this months' dev conference, and it (or its successor) will be my go to high performance machine. 32GB ram, 8 cores, NVME, good GPU, 699 USD, full Ubuntu. I sit here typing this on a Ryzen 2700x and I wonder if that'll be the last x86 I'll buy ever, after literally, 35 years using this arch. Outside of gaming, there's not much that ARMv8 doesn't do.

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post
                Intel 8099/40 = $202/core
                AMD 7890/64 = $123/core

Benchmarks will be interesting.
                Ampere Altra $4050 / 80 = $50.6 per core. Benchmarks are already on AnandTech. Beware - it isn't pretty. In fact it is embarrassing. A old Graviton 2 beats the top-end $8k SKU...

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
                  Oh...yeah...almost forgot. That ARM based Ampere Altra SOC? Yeah...there is no "Base" clock or "Turbo" clock for a certain few of the entire core count but not all cores simultaneously.

All 80 cores of the Ampere Altra run at 3.3 Ghz. All the time. At 250W TDP. Ice Lake can't . AMD Milan Epyc can't.

The legacy x86 CPUs can't even get close to that. Not even Milan at 7nm.
                  And according to AnandTech's review it typically uses 200W or less. So that 250W TDP is hard to actually reach and that's why most code (except power viruses) will run at 3.3GHz all day long.

Comment

Originally posted by PerformanceExpert View Post

Ampere Altra $4050 / 80 = $50.6 per core. Benchmarks are already on AnandTech. Beware - it isn't pretty. In fact it is embarrassing. A old Graviton 2 beats the top-end $8k SKU...
                    Intel is worthless without pulling the MUH GIGAHURTZ card like they do in the desktop.

Comment

Sometimes, it's a little reassuring to wake up and see events unfold how you predicted. But, that doesn't make this any less disappointing.

Comment

Working...
                      X