Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arm Announces ARMv9 Architecture With SVE2

Phoronix: Arm Announces ARMv9 Architecture With SVE2

Arm today announced the ARMv9 architecture (or Armv9 as it's officially styled) with a focus on performance, machine learning, digital signal processing, and security...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I would be surprised if v9 achieves x86 levels of performance and clock speeds...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      I would be surprised if v9 achieves x86 levels of performance and clock speeds...
      Armv8 already does, easy. Gonna see how long the wintel world can keep the only intel uarch alive that wasn't dead on arrival (and that only happened bc some bean punter at IBM picked that one instead of the m68k the engineers wanted)
      ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        Performance, already does. X1 beats current x86 cores clock for clock and competes decently core for core. Apple's numbers are higher. I've spent considerable time on Neoverse N1's; generally N1 compares favorably, core for core, with Zen2, though falls behind at higher core counts because the N1 vendors opted for undersized cache configs.

And that's what they're doing with a core that's effectively two - almost three, with Matterhorn coming out - generations old.

Clock speeds, who cares? Power6 was hangin' out at 5GHz back in 2008 and it still lost to Nehalems at 3.5.

Comment

An in-depth dive from Anandtech: https://www.anandtech.com/show/16584...9-architecture

Comment

Originally posted by Dawn View Post

Performance, already does. X1 beats current x86 cores clock for clock and competes decently core for core. Apple's numbers are higher. I've spent considerable time on Neoverse N1's; generally N1 compares favorably, core for core, with Zen2, though falls behind at higher core counts because the N1 vendors opted for undersized cache configs.

And that's what they're doing with a core that's effectively two - almost three, with Matterhorn coming out - generations old.

Clock speeds, who cares? Power6 was hangin' out at 5GHz back in 2008 and it still lost to Nehalems at 3.5.
            Looking forward to 5nm x86_64 designs to compare them more directly. It's a strange world we live in with Apple buying out the leading manufacturing process.

Comment

I still hope for more competition on the ISA-level even on the desktop to give us more choice. I wonder if ARM could come up with a desktop socket platform for their licensees, if every vendor comes with their own mainboards and sockets, the fragmentation would be too high and the Socket-7 days are still on my mind with fierce competition from various CPU vendors on the same platform.

Comment

I can't help but smell money in the new architecture name. Does anyone else think that that perhaps the reason of not just enhancing Armv8 (adding another extension, as they have done previously), and instead designating this as a new architecture, arm (the company) gets new licensing fees? This could increase revenue by billions (and Son wants his money). I wonder how much Apple will need to pay to upgrade their Armv8 architecture license to Armv9.
                Last edited by CommunityMember; 30 March 2021, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
                  Armv8 already does, easy.
                  ​​​​​​
                  Nope, it does not, or at least the Pi 4 processor.
                  The Pi 4 processor is only 15% faster than my 10-year-old low-end AMD machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Dawn View Post
                    Clock speeds, who cares?
                    I am who. I care.

Single-threaded performance

Comment

Working...
                    X