No announcement yet.

Intel Core i5 11600K + Core i9 11900K Linux Performance Across ~400 Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They’re definitely not providing much value > 400$ but the GPU shortage provides reasonable value for the non K i5 and i7 skus. Of course, it’s not clear they provide much additional value over the previous 10th gen sky’s beyond the platform upgrade (pcie 4, wifi 6).

overall this launch will only slow the bleeding, they’ll continue to loose market share as AMD ramps supply

Comment

Meh, dead architecture, Alder Lake due soon and AMD on 5nm & DDR5 next year.

No sale, I'll sweat what I have.

Comment

QUOTE=angrypie;n1247908]

They did, but backporting from 10nm to 14nm+++++++++++ ruined everything.[/QUOTE]

BINGO !! That's precisely what Charlie Demerjian had to say a few weeks ago on Semiaccurate.com. He explained how Intel doing this would simply increase the die size and power consumption with no real increase in performance. Intel seems to be roughly where AMD was with Bulldozer/Steamroller/Pile-driver/Excavator when they were stuck at 28nm down from only 32nm. However Lisa Su came on board and things radically changed. Is "Kicking" Pat Gelsinger going to be Intel's "Lisa Su"? I have my doubts. Gelsinger just went on the record last week saying that Intel won't have 7nm products at economies of scale until 2023. 20 Freekin' 23 !! By then AMD will be at 5nm with Zen4/Genoa sporting a new arch along with full blown Infinity Architecture 3.0 with full on everything connected to everything HSA and RDNA 3 and CDNA 3 to go along with IF 3.0. And ARM and derivatives PARTICULARLY Apple will already be at 3nm by 2023.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post

BINGO !! That's precisely what Charlie Demerjian had to say a few weeks ago on Semiaccurate.com. He explained how Intel doing this would simply increase the die size and power consumption with no real increase in performance. Intel seems to be roughly where AMD was with Bulldozer/Steamroller/Pile-driver/Excavator when they were stuck at 28nm down from only 32nm. However Lisa Su came on board and things radically changed. Is "Kicking" Pat Gelsinger going to be Intel's "Lisa Su"? I have my doubts. Gelsinger just went on the record last week saying that Intel won't have 7nm products at economies of scale until 2023. 20 Freekin' 23 !! By then AMD will be at 5nm with Zen4/Genoa sporting a new arch along with full blown Infinity Architecture 3.0 with full on everything connected to everything HSA and RDNA 3 and CDNA 3 to go along with IF 3.0. And ARM and derivatives PARTICULARLY Apple will already be at 3nm by 2023.
          maybe NVidia will compete on the ARM level.

Comment

I might have missed it, but it's probably important to temper exceptions when talking about Gen12 Xe graphics here. The 10nm Tiger Lake i7-1185G7 mobile SKU has 96 EUs, while this i5-11600K only has 32. It would have been extremely good timing if they could have delivered a full fat 96 EU iGPU part here for light/medium gaming given the GPU shortage. I might have bought an i5-11600 right now for a HTPC replacement specifically for that reason since there are no GPUs to be had. Since their foundry woes make such a SKU impossible right now, I might as well go with a 5600X and get better platform longevity and slap a 12 core/24 thread 5900X in it a few years down the road cheaply.

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
              That said, the one thing Intel still dominates at is supply delivery... they seem to be able to completely out produce AMD and I think that is their only fallback strategy atm.
              Either that, or they completely dominate at lack of demand

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post
                I might have missed it, but it's probably important to temper exceptions when talking about Gen12 Xe graphics here. The 10nm Tiger Lake i7-1185G7 mobile SKU has 96 EUs, while this i5-11600K only has 32. It would have been extremely good timing if they could have delivered a full fat 96 EU iGPU part here for light/medium gaming given the GPU shortage. I might have bought an i5-11600 right now for a HTPC replacement specifically for that reason since there are no GPUs to be had. Since their foundry woes make such a SKU impossible right now, I might as well go with a 5600X and get better platform longevity and slap a 12 core/24 thread 5900X in it a few years down the road cheaply.
                It's half the iGPU performance of a 3400G. Way behind what you can get on a laptop.

Having an iGPU at all is really the primary reason anyone might want to grab one of these, because if you can skip buying a GPU right now you definitely should. But performance still sucks and you shouldn't expect otherwise.

Comment

Rocket Lake iGPU is 13% faster than... Kaveri iGPU.

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post
                    Rocket Lake iGPU is 13% faster than... Kaveri iGPU.
                    I'm going to play the part of the broken record and say it's really a shame when you're fab limited to keep wasting half or more of the die for an iGPU that isn't needed. They're way past the iGPU that's helpful to just run a desktop doing normal web/text/spreadsheet kind of stuff. They're trying to get into the gaming space and that's just an uphill battle against dGPUs that they will never win.

This is why I've gone with AMD chips recenlty. I'm not willing to pay a premium price for a processor that wastes half of the die for something I actively don't want.

Comment

i'm so glad i bought my 10850k back in september for $380. its sad intel doesn't have an actual worthy contender to their own last generation 10 cores on an architecture from 2015.... right now neither intel or amd has a worthy upgrade from a 10850 / 10900k unless you really need the insanely high core counts with amd's threadripper.

here's hoping alder lake isn't crap and amd's 5 really change things.

Comment

Working...
                      X