Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skolo
    replied
    After upgrade to Mesa 21 (KDE Neon, kisak ppa) i'm getting the following error message in Xorg.0.log - "(EE) AMDGPU(0): Failed to make import prime FD as pixmap: 22". I don't know what it's about.

Leave a comment:

• reba
    replied
    Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

Yeah that's how it gets done. Get what you need, then disable testing. The only downside is that you need to be constantly looking at the archlinux website for updated versions in testing, since you won't upgrade to them automatically. Sometimes they make several iterations of a package in testing, before they land it in stable.
    I don't have experience with the package manager your distribution is using but with apt it's possible to specify which packages get pulled from which repository by giving them priorities. So when the desired package gets updated it will be pulled from where specified without manual intervention: https://wiki.debian.org/AptConfiguration. This gives you a mixed system but that's what you have now anyways.

Read up on a reddit comment about FrankenDebian and the official stance on this.
    From my experience realistically most of the time you won't have trouble with this but it should be a specific exception.

I have a system that started as a Netrunner installation and which is now a pure Debian/unstable, just by removing/adding/migrating installed packages. No wizardry involved and it runs perfectly. I am quite impressed by the robustness of the packaging system, despite many voices picking on apt/dpkg.
    Last edited by reba; 26 March 2021, 05:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• TemplarGR
    replied
    Originally posted by fafreeman View Post
    i just went ahead and did it this way. enabled testing repo's, did -syyu, wrote down the list of mesa packages it wanted to pull, then manually upgraded only the mesa packages. ignored everything else it wanted to update from testing. then disabled testing in pacman.conf. time to see how this rolls.
    Yeah that's how it gets done. Get what you need, then disable testing. The only downside is that you need to be constantly looking at the archlinux website for updated versions in testing, since you won't upgrade to them automatically. Sometimes they make several iterations of a package in testing, before they land it in stable.

Leave a comment:

• fafreeman
    replied
    Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

That's what i did. You don't need to get all packages from testing, just update only the ones you want. Mesa doesn't have any updated dependencies so you can just get it without much fuss.
    i just went ahead and did it this way. enabled testing repo's, did -syyu, wrote down the list of mesa packages it wanted to pull, then manually upgraded only the mesa packages. ignored everything else it wanted to update from testing. then disabled testing in pacman.conf. time to see how this rolls.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    haven't even gotten mesa 21.0.0 yet on arch... been stuck in testing since its release. hopefully since 21.0.1 just came out that will be heading to stable soon if arch dev's have been holding off for 21.0.1. checking out the bug reports for 21.0.0 testing on arch i didn't see any complaints so i don't really know why its been held up for so long. don't mean to be impatient but there's been fixes and changes in 21 that would benefit me greatly since i have an rdna 2 card. don't really want to run git. like having pacman take care of it all.
    Stuck on 19.0.6 here after the 19.1 VA-API VPP+encode hang...

Leave a comment:

• pkunk
    replied
    Pretty sure Arch almost always waits until .1 on mesa.

Leave a comment:

• TemplarGR
    replied
    Originally posted by chromer View Post
    It's longtime that i'm waiting for it too, Arch maintainers doing bad these days, I don't know why and whats the problem, for example new version of conky released a month ago with very important bugfixes, but they didn't released it yet, not even in tesing repo .
    Arch maintainers typically update packages very fast, but some packages are not important enough and they take their time. This has always been the case. If you absolutely need the latest version, you have many ways of installing it yourself, including the ABS system. You could get the official Arch package script (PKG), modify it with the new source, version numbers, hashes, etc, and most of the time it should build and update just fine.

Leave a comment:

• TemplarGR
    replied
    i guess i could enable it and only install the corresponding mesa packages, then disable testing. didn't think of that.
    That's what i did. You don't need to get all packages from testing, just update only the ones you want. Mesa doesn't have any updated dependencies so you can just get it without much fuss.

Leave a comment:

• Sethox
    replied
    Originally posted by chromer View Post
    It's longtime that i'm waiting for it too, Arch maintainers doing bad these days, I don't know why and whats the problem, for example new version of conky released a month ago with very important bugfixes, but they didn't released it yet, not even in tesing repo .
    How is it doing bad? All you see is the effects of not maintaining the community repos. You have two options, make a difference (by actually research and help them somehow). Archlinux is mostly community based, and as a community refers to, you either wait until someone step up or you step up to help the community.

The hindsight is simple like that, don't have time to do this.. well that's a valid reason but screaming/complaining into the void on a Phoronix forum I assure you, it's not the most productive way to change the Archlinux community.

Leave a comment:

• chromer
    replied
    been stuck in testing since its release.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X