Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IBM Lands Last Minute POWER10 Updates Into GCC 11 Compiler

Phoronix: IBM Lands Last Minute POWER10 Updates Into GCC 11 Compiler

In addition to the last minute AMD Zen 3 "znver3" tuning in GCC 11, also landing rather late are scheduling updates for the GNU Compiler Collection around the IBM POWER10 processor target...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

POWER9 primary is the East Fishkill facility. IBM Microelectronics sold it to GloFlo, who then stripped off and outsourced the wafer work and resold the fab to On Technology.

So I do not know who or where IBM is contracting POWER10. With the fabrication industry starting to get less vertical now, the number of players are starting to grow.

Pretty soon you are going to need a baseball like scorecard to know who did what and when before a CPU hits the socket.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
      So I do not know who or where IBM is contracting POWER10. With the fabrication industry starting to get less vertical now, the number of players are starting to grow.
      POWER10 is planned to make use of Samsung's 7nm process.

They have been doing a lot of joint research with Samsung's IC division, so this might be just the result of this agreement.
      Last edited by numacross; 22 March 2021, 03:37 PM.

Comment

IBMs Power 10 sites reads Samsung 7nm node.

IBMs Power Technology has always fascinated me, mostly because I know nothing about. Kind of an enigma how there is so much mystic around it's capabilities, yet rarely,if it all, is it mentioned for use on the next world breaking supercomputer

Would it not be something if they could license their technology to AMD. It would result in some Frankenstein monster
        Last edited by DarkCloud; 23 March 2021, 02:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud View Post
          IBMs Power Technology has always fascinated me, mostly because I know nothing about.
          POWER is exactly what it's name implies. It was what RISC imagined it could be (the IBM 801 architecture is arguable the first implemented RISC design, and POWER is the progeny of those designs). It failed at the low end due to small volume never justifying the design costs (which is why Apple abandoned it), but it is a lovely architecture. While tremendously overclocked binned x86_64 has mostly taken the crown (because the trading companies are now fine with a CPU that dies after a few days/weeks/months of running far beyond its design limits) POWER used to be the go-to for trading because it clocked so high it could produce a buy/sell order a few microseconds faster than the competitors (which at trading scale meant millions, and, well, millions are millions, and you pay for that CPU you are destroying in minutes). At this point POWER is used in HPC where the best of the best of the best matters (and money is mostly an after thought (it is bragging rights)). I still have (somewhere) some of the original POWER architecture books because at the time it clearly felt it was the way forward (as IA64 was a bridge too far, as it required compiler technologies that were simply not yet ready. Of course, AMD showed an alternative path (64 bit extensions) forward, and the rest is history).

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud View Post
            IBMs Power 10 sites reads Samsung 7nm node.

IBMs Power Technology has always fascinated me, mostly because I know nothing about. Kind of an enigma how there is so much mystic around it's capabilities, yet rarely,if it all, is it mentioned for use on the next world breaking supercomputer

Would it not be something if they could license their technology to AMD. It would result in some Frankenstein monster
            But... it has been used in world-record breaking supercomputers. The #1 supercomputer in the world until last year was Summit, a Power9 system; now it's Fugaku, a Fujitsu ARM machine, but the upper ranks of the world's supercomputers still contain plenty of Power.

Comment

Working...
            X