X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• msroadkill612
    replied
    Originally posted by coder View Post
    Yeah, it'd be interesting to see a detailed IPC analysis, relative to Ice Lake, to see where this hurt them. There's no free lunch, here - you can't just take a uArch optimized for 10 nm and deploy it on 14 nm without some losses. Even in spite of the higher power dissipation, there will still be places that the critical path ends up too long, and you just have to insert another pipeline stage or something.
    ICs dont even like being ported to another same node fab - let alone a bigger node.

Leave a comment:

• msroadkill612
    replied
    "10nm backported to 14nm++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++.

What a forking joke!" (as Charlie says - it should never have been made)

~" but i just want an apu equivalent or better?" - an apu / igp makes sense to some, certainly right now (for all the word salad - i still dont know how the new IGP compares w/ renoir or raven ridge apu graphics?)

if its so inefficient, paying for the unlocked version seems silly?

Such a power hog will need an expensive mobo

yes its better to wait doh?

so IMO the only pertinent processors are the non k models w/ IGP (if the igp is better than AMD APUs) - a lean running all in one that is a competent general home/office workstation

i think this confined segment would prefer a 6 core renoir to a hot 8 core, but an improvement? on renoir/raven ridge graphics would tempt many. I would also strongly frefer the flexibility of the AM4 platform than yet another of Intels's ~1 year use by date platforms.
    Last edited by msroadkill612; 19 March 2021, 03:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• asriel
    replied
    I had attemt to try AMD Renoir laptop but found out that it does not suspend - because majority of laptop vendors with the rare exceptions disable S3 suspenf on AMD platforms but AMD can not make theyir drivers work in Linux. And AMD chips does not support panel self refresh. They claim they do - but in fact I never seen it activated, even the panel is fully PSR capable and it worked when connected to Intel based laptop. So at the end 7nm AMD did not have much advantage over 10nm intel because of that. So I also can not say that AMD is a way better than intel for now, myself I have choosen tigerlake chip which I believe is the best option for Linux now - as it is perfectly supporting all the power saving features, have no issues with suspend-resume, and the performance is about the same as ryzen 4000 series. Iris Xe and Vega perform about the same, tiger wins in single core loads while ryzen has more cores.

So both have good and bad sides in their top products. But this one? Rocket lake is bad name for this, rocket is a step up and forward, but reversing to 14nm while your direct competitor is frowarding to 5nm? This device should be called Sewage Lake. Instead of hiring expensive marketologists to sell crap to people, maybe it is worth to hire some engineers to advance manufacturing technologies?

Leave a comment:

• Paradigm Shifter
    replied
    Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
    I'd rather wait until 2022 when AMD goes 5nm & DDR5, Rocket Lake is a dead duck anyway to be obsoleted by Intel's own 10nm Alder Lake later this year.
    That presumes that Alder Lake actually arrives on time?

I'm looking forward to AVX-512 landing on AMD chips with Zen 4 - the question will be, whether AMDs AVX-512 performance will approach, match or better Intel's own. What (subsets) of AVX-512 will be supported? Will be be across the entire product stack, or just a few select chips (like Intel)?

That said, AMD really do need to get their act together with their chipsets. Wonky USB? Invisible (to Linux) RAID? Unforced errors like that are very frustrating.

Leave a comment:

• asriel
    replied
    Good try , Intel. But - NO way. 14nm in 2021? What? Is it a joke?

It is always funny to see how marketologists are trying to present utimate shit as masterpiece. They always invent some reason why oudated bad product is a thing you really want to buy. Laptop with HDD - or you know, HDD is much more reliable - you definetely need HDD. TFT screen with terrible angles? - no, it is not piece of junk we got for free in chineese garbage can , it is specially developed high privacy (tm) screen that will prevent someone near you watch how many stars you have in your password box. 14nm CPU - it is not power hungry room heater we make because we still can not make even 10nm in required quantities, no way. We just had special backporting of the new cores to 14nm process to provide you extreme performance!

For me it is absolutely no-go. I was waiting for next generation of Dell XPS-15 hoping that it will come with 10nm++ tigerlake - but when they announced plans to put this crappy 14nm battery eater there I gave up and purchased MSI modern 15 instead.

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
    10nm backported to 14nm++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++.

What a forking joke!
    Yeah, it'd be interesting to see a detailed IPC analysis, relative to Ice Lake, to see where this hurt them. There's no free lunch, here - you can't just take a uArch optimized for 10 nm and deploy it on 14 nm without some losses. Even in spite of the higher power dissipation, there will still be places that the critical path ends up too long, and you just have to insert another pipeline stage or something.

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    Originally posted by angrypie View Post
    At those prices it's DOA. If you absolutely need Intel right now, you're better off buying the 8-core Comet Lake and then overclocking it. There. "Rocket Lake" performance for cheap with less power draw.
    I don't think Comet Lake can use less power to equal Rocket Lake, if it can even reach the same performance level. All of that is very workload-dependent, though. Sometimes, Comet Lake's extra cores can make up for what it lacks in IPC-efficiency. Check Anandtech's preview, for details.

And is the pricing really that much higher than Comet Lake? IIRC, it was pretty much in the same ballpark.

Leave a comment:

• Mario Junior
    replied
    10nm backported to 14nm++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++.

What a forking joke!

Leave a comment:

• mangeek
    replied
    <QUOTE>I just want a decent CPU + integrated GPU product, that has good performance, low power usage and is not expensive</QUOTE>

Same here. I really want something like an 11th gen i3 but with the 'high-end' iGPU found in the i7. A 2-core/4-thread, high-clocking CPU with the G7 iGPU would be perfect as a daily driver at the office and family computer.

It's a real bummer that the decent iGPUs are tied to the highest-end CPUs. I'm not sure if it's done for technical reasons or purely to stratify the market.

Leave a comment:

• xfcemint
    replied
    Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

As for your suggestion, unless you are talking used (and this is not an honest comparison because you could argue about used APUs as well), gpus are increadibly expensive. A new RX 570 is around 500 euros in Greece. This is not "cheap" considering during the summer it cost 140 euros.

And as for the downclocking in order to get lower TDP, this is also not ideal. When you pay for a gpu, you pay for the maximum performance, not for the performance it would have on your machine once you configure it to your desired TDP limit. So it is going to cost more money per performance than an igpu.
    I just went to ebay. I was surprised. Radeon 570 is about 260 USD. That's quite expensive, crazy even. Strange times.

But, it is just a temporary spike. Prices were twice lower this summer, and the prices will likely go down soon.

As for downclocking, I wouldn't quite agree. Your stance is to rigid. You can and should customize the hardware and software parameters to fit your needs.

I agree that GPUs are currently very expensive. Currently it is the best to wait for this price spike to subside.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X