No announcement yet.

Intel Details Rocket Lake S Processors, Linux Benchmarks To Come

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And if anadtech reviews holds, Ryzen will still sodomize it. poor poor Intel.

The only good thing about this launch is all the salt from Intel fanbois tears screeching because 300w is because AVX-512 and then screeching it lost because thats not a real benchmarks because doesn't use AVX-512

Comment

Well, according to Anandtech's review, a 11th gen 125W TDP chip now boosts to 291W(232% of rated TDP). Last generation(10th gen) 95W TDP chip PL2 to 225W( 236% of rated TDP). Granted, second gen Ryzen also lies about TDP now (A 65W TDP second gen Ryzen now boosts to 88W measured, or 135% of rated TDP, third gen boosts even harder) It is a lot more tolerable on the AMD side.

Buyers should focus on this, instead of stupid gaming FPS numbers and single threaded numbers. After all, it is just about lying TDPs and operating the chip at undesirable part of the power curve just like "Radeon 6700XT" engineering.
      Last edited by phoronix_is_awesome; 16 March 2021, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Agree with previous "Intel TDP shenanigans".

Everything TDP about a modern desktop processor seems like a mirage.
        Intel is the worst. Promises, promises.
        All you'll get is a mouthful of sand when digging into the mirage.

300W for a desktop CPU? That's just stupid.

Comment

I just want a decent CPU + integrated GPU product, that has good performance, low power usage and is not expensive. I don't need much horsepower, but my current 2400G is still lacking GPU horsepower

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

This. We are so close to DDR5 it makes no sense to get something like this now.
            And also AVX-512 on AMD, think of the x86-64-v4 feature level - that might matter in the future when the distros decide to move past v3.

Comment

At those prices it's DOA. If you absolutely need Intel right now, you're better off buying the 8-core Comet Lake and then overclocking it. There. "Rocket Lake" performance for cheap with less power draw.

Of course the wisest choice is to postpone upgrades as much as you can and wait for Ryzen to get back in stock at better prices.

Comment

Originally posted by xfcemint View Post

With integrated graphics you are always going to be lacking GPU horsepower, due to several factors (TDP limits and RAM bandwidth). The integrated GPU on 2400G (Vega 11) is actually one of the best and fastest integrated solutions currently available. No new integrated GPU is going to be much faster than Vega 11.

The only way to improve the GPU is to go with a discrete solution. What I don't understand is: why do you insist on an integrated solution?

You can get used cheap discrete GPUs, either buy them locally or on e-bay. Radeon 570 is currently very cheap, I think. You can use PowerTune on Linux do decrease power consumption below 100W, or even less.
                Many reasons:

1) Lower power consumption

2) Better efficiency

3) Versatile VRAM

4) Much cheaper

5) Smaller size/form factor

6) Quieter

As for your suggestion, unless you are talking used (and this is not an honest comparison because you could argue about used APUs as well), gpus are increadibly expensive. A new RX 570 is around 500 euros in Greece. This is not "cheap" considering during the summer it cost 140 euros.

And as for the downclocking in order to get lower TDP, this is also not ideal. When you pay for a gpu, you pay for the maximum performance, not for the performance it would have on your machine once you configure it to your desired TDP limit. So it is going to cost more money per performance than an igpu.

Comment

<QUOTE>I just want a decent CPU + integrated GPU product, that has good performance, low power usage and is not expensive</QUOTE>

Same here. I really want something like an 11th gen i3 but with the 'high-end' iGPU found in the i7. A 2-core/4-thread, high-clocking CPU with the G7 iGPU would be perfect as a daily driver at the office and family computer.

It's a real bummer that the decent iGPUs are tied to the highest-end CPUs. I'm not sure if it's done for technical reasons or purely to stratify the market.

Comment

10nm backported to 14nm++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++.

What a forking joke!

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post
                      At those prices it's DOA. If you absolutely need Intel right now, you're better off buying the 8-core Comet Lake and then overclocking it. There. "Rocket Lake" performance for cheap with less power draw.
                      I don't think Comet Lake can use less power to equal Rocket Lake, if it can even reach the same performance level. All of that is very workload-dependent, though. Sometimes, Comet Lake's extra cores can make up for what it lacks in IPC-efficiency. Check Anandtech's preview, for details.

And is the pricing really that much higher than Comet Lake? IIRC, it was pretty much in the same ballpark.

Comment

Working...
                      X