Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple M1 Patches For The Linux Kernel Sent Out A Third Time

Phoronix: Apple M1 Patches For The Linux Kernel Sent Out A Third Time

Hector Martin, who has been working on the crowd-funded effort to bring Linux up on the Apple M1 SoC and the modern Apple devices using that in-house silicon, has sent out the third iteration of his kernel patches...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I appreciate the work being done. The M1 looks really impressive. I have heard that the SSD wear is unusually high with Mac OS X.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
      I appreciate the work being done. The M1 looks really impressive. I have heard that the SSD wear is unusually high with Mac OS X.
      The SSD wear story is fear mongering, the one instance where it was egregious was caused by an application using 50+ GB of ram and logging to disk every tick.

Comment

Originally posted by Floturcocantsee View Post

The SSD wear story is fear mongering, the one instance where it was egregious was caused by an application using 50+ GB of ram and logging to disk every tick.
        That's why I have an additional internal HDD instead of DVD drive, keeping most caches (excluding few database files that slow down eg. Spotify startup), logs, games and documents on it instead of a SSD.

​​​​​​But oh wait, recent Apple's hardware doesn't have such possibility.
        ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by StarterX4 View Post

That's why I have an additional internal HDD instead of DVD drive, keeping most caches (excluding few database files that slow down eg. Spotify startup), logs, games and documents on it instead of a SSD.

​​​​​​
          I'm petty sure most thin-and-light laptop designs don't support SATA 2.5" bays anymore now that NVME is a thing.

Comment

gotta love that freedom that makes you invest your free time in such bullshit and perhaps Noveau drivers. Clap clap clap

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
              gotta love that freedom that makes you invest your free time in such bullshit and perhaps Noveau drivers. Clap clap clap
              Must be the 'rona. I was working at DEC (later Compaq) in the mid to late 90's. I remember when porting Linux to the Alpha processor was just getting going, I think that was around 1995. DEC, being first and foremost an engineering company, gladly provided all the hardware specifications needed to do the port. That was when John "maddog" Hall was still working there. Of course once they saw the potential, they started pouring resources into tuning and refining Linux on the Alpha, eventually closing a number of large supercomputer deals in the late 90's with Linux as the OS. They saw no issue with selling Linux on Alpha vs. their own Tru64 UNIX, and why should they? They both drove hardware sales, services, and support revenue streams. It was a win-win.

Compare that to the arrogant pricks in Cupertino today. You want what?? You mean you aren't buying a Mac? No? Kthxbye. Honestly, Apple is to hardware what Microsoft is to operating systems. A bunch of closed proprietary crap that has no intention of inter-operating with anything else.
              Last edited by torsionbar28; 05 March 2021, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Floturcocantsee View Post

No, the SSD wear story appears to be true.

There was a discussion thread about this on HackerNews, and many Apple M1 owners and also owners of older Apple computers shared the values reported for the amount of writes to the SSD since purchase.

The values for older Apple computers were normal, but the values for all new Apple M1 computers were more than an order of magnitude higher than expected, i.e. the amount of writes after a month were about what would have been expected after a year or two.

It is likely that whatever bug causes this will be corrected soon in some future version of Mac OS, but until then it is good to be aware of this problem.

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianBc View Post
                  It is likely that whatever bug causes this will be corrected soon in some future version of Mac OS, but until then it is good to be aware of this problem.
                  how is awareness of the problem going to help?

Comment

Originally posted by StarterX4 View Post

​​​​​​
                    Apple computer never have been able to run games anyway...

Now, all use case aren't for the thin laptop, this is for web usage.
                    Buy a MacPro. If you want work with big files, there's a hardware for that.

Comment

Working...
                    X