AMD Ryzen 5000 Temperature Monitoring Support Sent In For Linux 5.12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by creative View Post
    I have had a temp readout from the get go.

Voltages and clocks are more what I am after for zenpower and zenmonitor.
    Clock speed should already be reported....... don't tell me even THAT'S missing.

Comment

Originally posted by brauliobo View Post
      weird news, I have temperature reporting in my 5600X with kernel 5.10 (and I think with 5.9 as well)
      Probably backported by someone. Or, some of the temperatures are read from the same MSRs.

Comment

I am enjoying AMD right now, that does not mean I wont enjoy intel in the future. I have fond memories using my 65watt i7 7700. It's just that I was running out of threads for my use cases and my Z270 board did not support a 6 core upgrade. Plus,the fact that lots vulnerabilities were being discovered only making a sore wound worse.

In comes Zen 2, being intriguided by the positive responses by reviews of the Ryzen 3000 series, I decided to give it a go. AMD, at least in my case, has been not only for the R5 3600 and the R7 5800X—been without issue so far. In fact I would go as far to say my experience has been non bothersome in operation and been without segmentation faults.

That was not the case with my FX 8320 in the past, however, even then I will admit my own falt with that due to the VRM setup on that board not being up to snuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Berniyh View Post
          That is just because the news (as unfortunately often here) is very imprecise and incomplete.

k10temp right now (with kernel 5.10 and before) will give you basic temperature reporting, which is Tctl and Tdie.
          For Zen 2, they've added TccdX temperatures that allow for monitoring each CCD and that's what was missing here (and is added for Zen 3 with the aforementioned patch).
          In addition, k10temp also showed voltages and currents for the CPUs and that would be shown as well, but it was removed from k10temp.

So basically with the patch applied you get Tccd1 and – if applicable – Tccd2.

Yes, but following the discussion there and on the hwmon list, it seems that the values are not necessarily reliable, which is why it was removed from k10temp.
          zenpower does show them, but you possibly shouldn't take them for granted.

According to the comments over there it even seems the case that some Mainboards feed wrong readouts to the CPU to achieve higher clock rates (you might remember the whole burst frequency discussion with Zen 2 …).

Bottom line is: unless AMD provides proper docs or programmers to adapt the code correctly, you can't get reliable voltage/current/power readouts for Zen CPUs.
          btw, the same seems to apply to hwinfo and the like as well, but nobody seems to care there, that's the difference.

AMD is acting really weird here …
          If you can't effectively see temperatures, current, voltage, power consumption, you can't find out if your CPU is defective. Are any of the cores achieving turbo? Are all of them achieving base frequency atleast? What's holding it back? Only the above stats can tell you if there's something holding back the CPU. And since you can't see them........

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

Probably backported by someone. Or, some of the temperatures are read from the same MSRs.
            I remember voltage was show with sensors with 5.10 after they removed from 5.10, i cant remember if it was on 5.10-rcX or 5.10.X versions.

Comment

Originally posted by kripteks View Post

I remember voltage was show with sensors with 5.10 after they removed from 5.10, i cant remember if it was on 5.10-rcX or 5.10.X versions.
              Yeah, they removed voltage monitoring in both 5.11 and stable 5.10.x releases.

Comment

all i can say about this is that i'm glad i went with my 10850k from intel this time around. intel might of had those mitigations but at least the cpu's work and intel patched them via firmware and hardware fixes.

Comment

Originally posted by fafreeman View Post
                  all i can say about this is that i'm glad i went with my 10850k from intel this time around. intel might of had those mitigations but at least the cpu's work and intel patched them via firmware and hardware fixes.
                  Intel right now is a go to if you need to do a full system upgrade. An i7 10700k along with a motherboard and ram is a pretty good deal at the moment for what you pay.

A reason I went to a 5800x is cause I was already on the x570 platform, and it was the next best option to the 5900x which is outrageously out of my price range at the moment due to supply and extremely high demand.
                  Last edited by creative; 15 February 2021, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fafreeman View Post
                    True. Only reason I didn't go Cometlake was because of the higher power consumption and heat. I regret that decision now. When possible, I'll move over to Intel Rocketlake or Alderlake.

And Intel Xe dGPU HPG when it launches.

Then I don't have to deal with AMDs crap support anymore. Even their Windows drivers are shoddy to be honest.

Comment

I thinks most x570 boards are using Nuvoton SIO chips. Very few if any are using ITE chips. ITE chips fell out of favor with the x470 boards because of the lack of documentation.

Comment

Working...
                      X