AMD Ryzen 5000 Temperature Monitoring Support Sent In For Linux 5.12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Ryzen 5000 Temperature Monitoring Support Sent In For Linux 5.12

Phoronix: AMD Ryzen 5000 Temperature Monitoring Support Sent In For Linux 5.12

Due to an unfortunate misalignment of the Ryzen 5000 series launch and the Linux kernel cycles, CPU temperature monitoring for Ryzen 5000 (Zen 3) desktop CPUs isn't landing until now with the Linux 5.12 kernel cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

WTF, you gotta be kidding me, this is not already in 5.11 ?
    AMD cannot seriously be more crappy than this!
    We always need to wait for some people to reverse engineer it from somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      As Linux is not an AMD product, maybe blame the lazy Linux kernel authors for not making this a priority?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        Well done sarcastic rendition of the hyperbole that's common in this forum!

Comment

Wait, does this mean that the temperature I'm seeing on kernel 5.10 is not correct?
          Code:
          [sanjuro]uname -r
          5.10.16-custom
          [~]
          [sanjuro]sensors
          k10temp-pci-00c3
          Adapter: PCI adapter
          Tctl: +35.8°C
          Tdie: +35.8°C

amdgpu-pci-2b00
          Adapter: PCI adapter
          vddgfx: 750.00 mV
          fan1: 875 RPM (min = 0 RPM, max = 2900 RPM)
          edge: +33.0°C (crit = +94.0°C, hyst = -273.1°C)
          power1: 8.14 W (cap = 180.00 W)

Comment

Being a passionate reader in the forums, I noticed Danny always does this kind of rants after ANY news. It's a bit pathetic when you see these messages from him and count how many people really died because of the problem being discussed not being tackled earlier. Most of the times i think bodycount is really between 0 and 0.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post

As Linux is not an AMD product, maybe blame the lazy Linux kernel authors for not making this a priority?
              Linux is a community project which works with AMD products.
              If Linux is not an AMD product, what, they should not contribuite to it to make sure that their products are properly supported, what's your point ?

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
              Being a passionate reader in the forums, I noticed Danny always does this kind of rants after ANY news. It's a bit pathetic when you see these messages from him and count how many people really died because of the problem being discussed not being tackled earlier. Most of the times i think bodycount is really between 0 and 0.

Cut the crap with lies, I don't rant after "ANY news", just the ones that annoy me a lot, like in the case of AMD, where they don't support their products and someone always has to reverse engineer something to add support for it or AMD send very late the patches.
              As a customer who pays hard worked money, It totally my right to complain as much as I want about things I don't like.
              You should be grateful for my and other people rants because without them, these companies think they are perfect and they don't need to improve anything or they need to charge extra money, which AMD is already doing.
              Without my and other people's rants here and on other platforms, AMD would've even left out the older chipsets support.

Comment

“First class AMD Linux support”

Comment

This is one of the areas where AMD hiring more Linux engineers could benefit from some more timely improvements.
                  The issue has nothing to do with the number of developers - it has everything to do with the fact that AMD refuses to share documentation about Zen CPUs. Compare what HWiNFO64 reports for Ryzen CPUs and what 's shown in Linux. Under Windows you see like four dozen datapoints for e.g. Zen 2 CPUs and less than four under Linux. So much for AMD's open source friendliness. It's just amazing that Open Source fans continue to praise the company despite glaring long-standing issues with Open Source support. It's almost as if AMD supports Linux just enough to make open source fans happy and in reality they want to keep their secrets close to their chest just like all other companies.
                  Last edited by birdie; 15 February 2021, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverFox
                    A little off topic, But i just bought a 5600xt and i will be getting a new mobo soon. In reflection to the temp issue can anyone recommend a mobo that all/most sensors are picked up?
                    Modern CPUs (almost everything released for the past 10 years) HW monitoring does not depend on a motherboard as all the sensors are built-in and polled via MSR.

Originally posted by rene View Post

What a crap statement. Read the story about how the HW monitoring of Ryzen 5000 CPUs was removed in the first place. Hint: it has nothing to do with Linux kernel developers. Actually just follow this link and get enlightened:

Voltages and current are reported by Zen CPUs. However, the means to do so is undocumented, changes from CPU to CPU, and the raw data is not calibrated. Calibration information is available, but again not documented. This results in less than perfect user experience, up to concerns that loading the driver might possibly damage the hardware (by reporting out-of range voltages). Effectively support for reporting voltages and current is not maintainable. Drop it.
                    Dropped with the help of your favourite Linux "hater", lmao.
                    Last edited by birdie; 15 February 2021, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X