No announcement yet.

AMD Ryzen, EPYC 5~6% Faster Out-Of-The-Box With Linux 5.11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pal666 From what I understand the 5000 series does support up to a 2000Mhz fabric frequency provided that one has a DDR4 4000Mhz kit and is willing to meet with the possibility of wracking their nerves with memory timings if not found in the verified vendors list.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
      If only AMD would release some Xeon E3 competitors. EPYC 5000 anyone? The current 3000 and 7000 series naming certainly leaves that possibility open. It sure would be nice to have some socketed EPYC options in the 45w, 65w, 95w range, something that could replace the Opteron 4000 series. For many applications, official ECC support is a must, so Xeon E3 is the only option in this market right now.
      PS. Yes I know about Ryzen Pro having ECC support, but 1) that's OEM only, and 2) there are zero OEM's selling it with ECC enabled.
      many AM4 mainboards have ECC support in the "45w, 65w, 95w range"

"official ECC support is a must"

comeone who cares? an inofficial ECC support is as good as an Official support.

Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post
        pal666 From what I understand the 5000 series does support up to a 2000Mhz fabric frequency provided that one has a DDR4 4000Mhz kit and is willing to meet with the possibility of wracking their nerves with memory timings if not found in the verified vendors list.
        it "could" support 2ghz if you are lucky. important part is to not try to clock memory higher because it will decrease performance

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          it "could" support 2ghz if you are lucky. important part is to not try to clock memory higher because it will decrease performance
          My thoughts exactly. Buildzoid has lots of experience with those 4000Mhz and beyond memory kits. Most advertised 4000+Mhz kits pretty much are never going to go there.

I'm not an overclocker but I have had my fair share of CPU tuning for thermals, negative voltage offsets, PBO PPT, TDC, EDC adjustments and last but not least the power limit in celcius adjustment. It was fun and interesting messing with that but honestly I am just fine with DOCP and everything else on auto. This thing idles as low as 22°C and can watch the puppy hit the end of its designed thermal envelope at 90°C on full load.

Pretty interesting series of chips. The fact that its a 105watt chip but idles that low is pretty indicative that that single CCD is just as they said, the same high quality silicon that goes into the R9 5950x. I also dont really see the thing temp spike at least with my sample, it generally stays in the 30s. Right now I have open steam, chromium, brave, and pale moon along with qjackctl and the nvidia-settings panel open and its setting at 29°C.
          Last edited by creative; 13 February 2021, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post

many AM4 mainboards have ECC support in the "45w, 65w, 95w range"

"official ECC support is a must"

comeone who cares? an inofficial ECC support is as good as an Official support.
            torsionbar28 Asus 570 WS and ASRock Rack have AM4 motherboards with official ECC support.
            AMD does not mandate ECC support for Ryzen but leaves it up to the MB manufacturers to create dedicated MB lines with support. So there are several AM4 MBs that support officially ECC RAM!

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post

torsionbar28 Asus 570 WS and ASRock Rack have AM4 motherboards with official ECC support.
              AMD does not mandate ECC support for Ryzen but leaves it up to the MB manufacturers to create dedicated MB lines with support. So there are several AM4 MBs that support officially ECC RAM!
              My X570-P supports ECC memory but says it depends on the CPU.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post
                My X570-P supports ECC memory but says it depends on the CPU.
                MB vendors will list qualified CPUs (usually only RAM speed and supported generations are affected).

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post

MB vendors will list qualified CPUs (usually only RAM speed and supported generations are affected).
                  Known.

Comment

Michael - Paulaner Spezi instead of beer? Do I have to worry?

Comment

Originally posted by mazumoto View Post
                      Michael - Paulaner Spezi instead of beer? Do I have to worry?
                      Haha, well, I recently discovered a Bavarian-focused butcher shop / store in Wisconsin that sells various Bavarian products and mails them... So I was ordering some things that I hadn't had in years, to much enjoyment - mostly some good meats. But they also happened to sell Paulaner Spezi... Spezi in America is rare and I haven't had any in ~8 years.

Anyways, that box happened to arrive this past week and I had the cans sitting in the server room. So when it came time to taking some quick pictures for the article and seeing the Paualaner Spezi can orange color was close to the Ryzen coloring, I decided to toss it in the background to help prop up the CPUs.

And, yes, the Spezi was tasty for not having it in many years.
                      Michael Larabel
                      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X