No announcement yet.

AMD Ryzen, EPYC 5~6% Faster Out-Of-The-Box With Linux 5.11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a matter of time before 5.11 goes from being experimental to stable on Manjaro. So far 5.10 is looking pretty good with the R7 5800x that I have. Really was wanting the R9 5900x but with TSMC having supply issues for manufacturers, it will likely be quite some time before the R9 5900x drops down to MSRP.

Did not like paying around $80 bucks over MSRP for my 5800x, which as they say is "The odd man out CPU." but I had plans on finishing my build project and just wanted to get on with my life.

About two years and I will have meez a RX 6800 to slap in this box. TSMC ooooh TSMC, production production. That flipping rona gumming up the works.
    Last edited by creative; 13 February 2021, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Gee man..! These are some nice improvements. Yet it's the highest time AMD hired even more Linux wizards and took Linux(but BSD also) as seriously as it's humanly possible(mind my meaning - as if there was no tomorrow) !

Comment

Originally posted by fanbelt View Post
        Is there any chance of these patches being backported to 5.10? I really hope so because many people (myself included) jump from LTS release to LTS release.
        Will more than likely be distribution dependent. Right now 5.11 is still experimental on Manjaro. I ran it and a render time for Kdenlive came down a little, 5:30 to 5:06 but thats actually margin of error in my opinion. Things are likely to improve though once 5.11 goes stable.

I generally don't like running experimental kernels but I have had it installed for about a week now just to see whats up, there is some wonkyness right now with 5.11 as it is still in an expiramental state for Manjao.
        Last edited by creative; 13 February 2021, 10:40 AM.

Comment

So far things are looking great for the premium single CCD 8c16t R7 5800X. Single boost clocks hit 4.850 GHz. All core is 4.5+ GHz. Zenpower cpu stat support is not planned for the 5000 series for zenmonitor from what I understand so far, have just used cpu-x and /proc/cpuinfo for looking at clocks.
          Last edited by creative; 13 February 2021, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
            At first I thought you must be upset about something
            so you missed your opportunity to learn

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Aside from any general improvements like I saw in some tests like PostgreSQL, the reliance on ACPI CPPC for frequency invariance makes it only Zen 2 and later.
              Concerning zenpower.

Do you think cpu stats such as voltage and power draw for the 5000 series will be added later for future kernels? I had good readouts for my R5 3600 but was looking through some reddit stuff and found that this kind of support looks to be not intended for the future of the 5000 series. I take reddit posts with a serious grain of salt though.
              Last edited by creative; 13 February 2021, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post
                So far things are looking great for the premium single CCX 8c16t R7 5800X. Single boost clocks hit 4.850 GHz. All core is 4.5+ GHz.
                what are infinity fabric and memory clocks?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  what are infinity fabric and memory clocks?
                  Single boost clocks hit 4.850 GHz. All core is 4.5+ GHz. Pardon me, I actually meant CCD. Don't think there is infinity fabric used in this part.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post
                    Single boost clocks hit 4.850 GHz. All core is 4.5+ GHz. Pardon me, I actually meant CCD. Don't think there is infinity fabric used in this part.
                    i'm pretty sure memory controller is behind infinity fabric and if their clocks are different, performance will suffer

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      i'm pretty sure memory controller is behind infinity fabric and if their clocks are different, performance will suffer
                      I would not think it would be any different than on my R5 3600 as I am still using the same 32GB DDR4 3200C16 kit which means the default fabric speed is 1600 for that. Never really wanted to mess with the fabric frequency.
                      Last edited by creative; 13 February 2021, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X